Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: 32-sample bank and 64-sample bank
Hi everyone,

I created banks of 64 samples that I use with Launchpad X. If I connect the DDJ-XP1 instead of the Launchpad, obviously only 32 samples are recognized for the 32 pads. Is there a way to switch/use the other 32 samples that aren't showing? A command, an option that allows you to change the display of samples from 1-32 to 33-64?

Thank you

Mensajes Thu 06 Apr 23 @ 7:45 pm
One solution:

You could create a variable, any name, lets call it sample_hi

Then have a button somewhere (custom or controller) to toggle the variable.

toggle 'sample_hi'

Then map a typical DDJ-XP1 pad with something like:

PAD1
var 'sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 33 : sampler_pad 1 

PAD2
var 'sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 34: sampler_pad 2 

etc

and of course you can script the LEDs for the Pad so there is difference when in "sample high" mode.

---------

I would love if one could have a different sample bank, on say the DJ controller and another on the launchpad for example.
Or even, possibly, 2 randomly chosen sample banks.. one on the Left deck's padpage and other on the Right deck's padpage.

Mensajes Fri 07 Apr 23 @ 7:32 am
My Edit time ran out

UPDATE:
the script will work more reliably if one uses a global variable.
(still toggling a variable, just will be less dependent where the Button is located)

Just replace: 'sample_hi' with '$sample_hi' in the above scripts.

toggle '$sample_hi'

DDJ-XP1
PAD1
var '$sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 33 : sampler_pad 1 

etc

Mensajes Fri 07 Apr 23 @ 9:01 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
better avoid editing mapping or any other buttons.
the Sampler Bank you created is a simple xml file (located in VirtualDJHomefolder/Sampler folder)
Copy the file and paste it twice and name them with different names.

The original will have all 64 entries.
the 2nd copy will have the entries 1 to 32 (delete the rest)
the 3rd one will have the entries 33 to 64 (delete the rest - You may have to edit row and col values)

Once you have all 3 files ready, it's only a matter or loading the Sampler Bank u need (e.g. using the Param 1 -/+ buttons or menu or directly using sampler_bank 'name')

Mensajes Fri 07 Apr 23 @ 9:43 am
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
My Edit time ran out

UPDATE:
the script will work more reliably if one uses a global variable.
(still toggling a variable, just will be less dependent where the Button is located)

Just replace: 'sample_hi' with '$sample_hi' in the above scripts.

toggle '$sample_hi'

DDJ-XP1
PAD1
var '$sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 33 : sampler_pad 1 

etc

It's a good idea, I tried to do everything right and I managed to change the LEDs too. Only problem is that it only works for pads 33-48, while pads 49-64 in the right side of XP1 will sound the same as the left side (33-48) even if they are set to go up to 64. It seems to lose the ability to split samples as left and right side. All this regardless of whether the change is made in the mapping of xp1 or in that of the pad page since, for pads 33-48 it works in both cases.

Mensajes Sat 08 Apr 23 @ 4:18 pm
djdad wrote :
better avoid editing mapping or any other buttons.
the Sampler Bank you created is a simple xml file (located in VirtualDJHomefolder/Sampler folder)
Copy the file and paste it twice and name them with different names.

The original will have all 64 entries.
the 2nd copy will have the entries 1 to 32 (delete the rest)
the 3rd one will have the entries 33 to 64 (delete the rest - You may have to edit row and col values)

Once you have all 3 files ready, it's only a matter or loading the Sampler Bank u need (e.g. using the Param 1 -/+ buttons or menu or directly using sampler_bank 'name')

This would have been the simplest solution but my XP1 mapping is completely custom and works great and I was looking for a solution that would allow me not to split sample banks.

Mensajes Sat 08 Apr 23 @ 4:20 pm
Cool Angel D.J. wrote :
It's a good idea, I tried to do everything right and I managed to change the LEDs too. Only problem is that it only works for pads 33-48, while pads 49-64 in the right side of XP1 will sound the same as the left side (33-48) even if they are set to go up to 64. It seems to lose the ability to split samples as left and right side. All this regardless of whether the change is made in the mapping of xp1 or in that of the pad page since, for pads 33-48 it works in both cases.

Good news that it works for half of the pads.

I do not understand exactly how it is not working for the pads you want to play the samples (49-64).

when you say "while pads 49-64 in the right side of XP1" what is the order that you have mapped them.

1-8.... top row
9-16... 2nd row
17-24... 3rd row
25-32 ... 4th row

with var $sample_hi = 1

33-40 ... top row
41-48 .. 2nd row
49-56 ... 3rd row
57-64 .... 4th row

the closest test I can do, and with no issue, is with 2 lauchpads,

Lanchpad A map a bank to play all 64 samples using only the top 32 pads (to simulate the XP1)
using the var "$sample_hi" to toggle them.

Lanchpad B map a bank to play the 64 samples using all 64 pads

and in addition to hearing, can also see which sample is playing both on software and lauchpad leds
all checks out well

can you show the script you have for the mapping of the pad that you are having issue with, trying to play sample 49 and you say sounds same as 33.

Would help to see the mapping for both.
Also the location (quadrant) on the XP1 where the pads are located, that you are mapping to.
(and are you using 2 different pad controllers, or ?)
Need more help understanding the setup/configuration.

Mensajes Sat 08 Apr 23 @ 5:35 pm
I looked at the Mapper for the DDJ XP1 and it seems to have only 16 sampler pads defined.. so they are set in the definition(or firmware) as left and right deck or deck 1 and deck 2.

So may need to add some script to allow for different actions. for all 32 pads

Experiment with something like:
SAMPLER_PAD1
leftdeck ? var '$sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 33 : sampler_pad 1 : rightdeck ? var '$sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 37 : sampler_pad 5 : nothing

SAMPLER_PAD9
leftdeck ? var '$sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 49 : sampler_pad 17 : rightdeck ? var '$sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 53 : sampler_pad 21 : nothing

etc

to allow one to have the layout of:

1-8.... top row
9-16... 2nd row
17-24... 3rd row
25-32 ... 4th row

with var $sample_hi = 1

33-40 ... top row
41-48 .. 2nd row
49-56 ... 3rd row
57-64 .... 4th row

(or you can do a different layout, just need to use different sampler_pad numbering with above scripts)

may need to substitute leftdeck with device_side 'left' or action_deck 1
and rightdeck with device_side 'right' or action_deck 2
since don't know which way it is configured in the definition/firmware.

Mensajes Sat 08 Apr 23 @ 6:36 pm
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
I looked at the Mapper for the DDJ XP1 and it seems to have only 16 sampler pads defined.. so they are set in the definition(or firmware) as left and right deck or deck 1 and deck 2.

So may need to add some script to allow for different actions. for all 32 pads

Experiment with something like:
SAMPLER_PAD1
leftdeck ? var '$sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 33 : sampler_pad 1 : rightdeck ? var '$sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 37 : sampler_pad 5 : nothing

SAMPLER_PAD9
leftdeck ? var '$sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 49 : sampler_pad 17 : rightdeck ? var '$sample_hi' 1 ? sampler_pad 53 : sampler_pad 21 : nothing

etc

to allow one to have the layout of:

1-8.... top row
9-16... 2nd row
17-24... 3rd row
25-32 ... 4th row

with var $sample_hi = 1

33-40 ... top row
41-48 .. 2nd row
49-56 ... 3rd row
57-64 .... 4th row

(or you can do a different layout, just need to use different sampler_pad numbering with above scripts)

may need to substitute leftdeck with device_side 'left' or action_deck 1
and rightdeck with device_side 'right' or action_deck 2
since don't know which way it is configured in the definition/firmware.

I had already done some tests and I arrived at the final solution by dividing the commands for the two decks with action_deck 1 and action_deck 2, then I modified the commands for the leds and they work perfectly, finally I also modified the get_sampler_name of the individual pads in order to obtain the names even when I switch to champions 33-64.

Your help has been very useful to me and I thank you for the time you have dedicated to me!

Mensajes Tue 11 Apr 23 @ 5:36 pm
I managed to finish the work mainly thanks to the help of IIDEEJAYII.

I was wondering now if there is a way to force VDJ to have 64 pads recognized in the sampler view even if an instrument with only 32 pads like XP1 is connected. I saw that you can choose the view in columns (up to 8 columns) but I don't really like the result with 8 columns which leaves a row of pads empty at the end. Can you update a command on ONINIT to do this? Thank you

Mensajes Sun 16 Apr 23 @ 12:46 pm