Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: V2.0 Honest REVIEW & SUGGESTIONS from DJ Veteran

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Dr MixxHome userMember since 2001
Well I have been DJ'ing for 14 years and here is my review and suggestions for Atomixmp3 V2.0

REVIEW:

The new version of atomixmp3 is a good program and on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it an 8. The new graphic interface (skin) is very clean, colorful, futuristic looking and has a nice layout. The status lights on each of the decks are nice to show you how much time is left when playing a song a circle of colorful bars slow fill in with different colors. The title, artist and bpm are displayed in a nice big easy to read font. The search engine is much improved over the previous version. It does a search with each key stroke and narrows down your choices so you don't have to type in the whole song or artist you are looking for. The new version also has added a sampler that you can put 12 different samples into with individual volume controls. The new version also comes with a special efx section that has FLANGE, CUT and PAN. Over the past few days the effect I found most useful was the FLANGE which did a good job. The program has several options for sound card(s) and the ability to use an external mixer if you choose. The sound quality of the program was average. Overall for the $59.95 you pay for the program it is priced right on the money. As for using this program to DJ an event please read the SUGGESTION section below.

SUGGESTIONS:

#1) Fix the audio glitches. The program is full of them. I tested atomixmp3 on the following 3 machines. (A) Killer Desktop P4 1.8Mhz 512MB, 64MB, 160GB with Windows XP (B) 18 Month Old Laptop P3 450Mhz, 256MB, 2MB, 6GB with external 80GB HD with Windows 98SE and (C) Desktop 466Mhz, 192MB, 32MB, 30GB with Windows Millenium and found the follwing result:

*** ALL MACHINES HAD AUDIO GLITCHES ***

There are audio glitches when you use the left and right arrow keys to line up beats. There are audio glitches when you raise or lower the volume when using the sound effect. There are audio glitches when you let the program try to automix. There are audio glitches everywhere in this program. The last version had them too and there are still in V2.0 so please work on the glitches.

#2) Fix the BASS, MID & TREB controls. They are too hard adjust. I suggest a slide control or 3 position kill/boost switch (cut, normal, boost) button and let the DJ choose!

#3) INDIVIDUAL Deck time stretch enable and disable button so I can do harmonic key mixing (advanced mixing technique). Sometimes I need to have the time stretch disable on one deck to pitch it up 6% and have the other deck witht he time stretch enable to change the key of a song properly.

#4) The beat detection light is nice, but add or have the option of INDIVIDUAL channel level display lights (Look at a Pioneer CDJ-300, 500 or 600 mixer to see what I am talking about www.pioneerprodj.com ) This way you can SEE the gain control instead of READING what your level is. This also helps with mixing.

#5) Have the display read the PITCH in a bigger FONT and the blue lights that indicate if the pitch is -, + or reset if it is reset make it a bigger GREEN light. If it is - make the lights different shades of BLUE and If it is + make the lights different shades of RED.

#6) Get rid of the auto gain control and emulate or copy OTSJuke's audio processing functions - It kicks ass over anything!

#7) Allow up to 4 decks using ONE screen and TWO displays for beat matching instead of multiple instances.

#8) Fix the auto BPM detector or have the ability to "tap" in the beat. The program does a great job on "Dance Music" 116BPM to 180BPM but does a horrible job on hip-hop or non-standard beats.

#9) For every upgrade -not just glitch or bug fixes- that is done correctly (hopefully have a release every 3 months with improvements) charge even the old time loyal customers $10 for each upgrade. You can't work forever for free. Consider making a "free" a "hobby dj" and a "professional" version and price accordingly.

Final thought. I use OTSJuke to DJ with when I need to play music that I am not "mixing", I need to sound excellent and want to set up an automated list to play for 30minutes to 1 hours. This is now my preferred DJ program - atomixmp3 use to be the preferred one. Then later on that night when it is time to "Dance" I switch over to atomixmp3 and mix dance music. I love the search feature the best! But I still have to take out my $2500 (M.S.R.P for two units) Pioneer CDJ-1000's because of all of the audio glitches in atomixmp3. Mayble one day there will be one program that does it all. If you make the changes I have suggested and for the hip-hop DJ's add that annoying "scratch" feature that OTS has (yes my Pioneer's scratch, but #1 I know how to scratch without loosing my dancefloor and #2 I don't do it that often.) and add some type of external-"hands-on" control instead of a mouse and a keyboard - then you will all be rich beyond your wildest dreams, because the computer will have taken over CD Players and Turntables. But for now I will have to rely on my Pioneer CDJ-1000's and the 1,000's of compact discs I have.

P.S.

I fogot the PLAY A CD feature in OTS lets you slip a CD into your computer and play the songs - atomixmp3 needs this too!

P.S.S.

If you really want to make a "kick ass pick your tounge up off the floor program" then add all of the features I have talked about and make the program do the same thing - with music videos (DVD) or .VOB files copied on the hard drive!

Best of Luck!

Responses welcome

Mensajes Sun 02 Dec 01 @ 8:42 pm
I want to get Atomix 2.0 but I've heard that it's a very big file for downloading, something like 100Mb's?! I have a slow connection, so this would be difficult, could you please tell me how big the file actually is, 100Mb's seems too big...

Mensajes Sun 02 Dec 01 @ 11:11 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Less than 3 1/2 meg

Mensajes Sun 02 Dec 01 @ 11:39 pm
nateHome userMember since 2001
Alot of good suggestions...

The audio issues NEED to get fixed... It really causes problems, and sounds like hell at times. If your careful, and know how to work around them, you *can* get around them... but it limits you.

As far as the download size.. the download is 3.3mb... no worries. you'll have it downloaded through a 28.8 modem is about 22 min.

-Nate

Mensajes Sun 02 Dec 01 @ 11:42 pm
1 add more accuracy and size to the EQ knobs.
2 disable master tempo (add knob for tone/pitch to have it manually fixed to the same tone as other song, or for wild effects)
3 add keys for adjustable amount of pitch bend (press LEFT to slow the song down for 1.5% and RIGHT to speed up)

with those there shouldn't be much glitches left.

Mensajes Mon 03 Dec 01 @ 11:39 am
There are no Audio Glitches AS LONG AS YOU HAVE IT IN HARDWARE MODE. I have a PII 233 and runs terrible in software mode (which sucks cuz you can record ONLY in that mode), but when I put it in HARDWARE Mode...it runs pretty much the same as it does on my other Athlon XP 1600 (Oh yeah!!!!!!)

But those clavel kick @ss fellas will come out with an even better update.

About the manual beat counter, you can get an amazing one here:

ddrpccentral.teamgwailo.com/downloads/winbpm.zip

any q's or comments email me: dap@idirect.ca
DJ Fresh

Mensajes Tue 04 Dec 01 @ 7:15 am
dr mixx

If i had a pair of cdj-1000's i would never touch a dj program on the computer again

Mensajes Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 12:35 am
When I search my computer for music, they appear mixed. The titles and authors are mixed. How do I place the titles under titles and arthors under authors?

Mensajes Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 7:36 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Type the files names in like this: Artist - title

Mensajes Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 7:55 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Search Google for a mp3 tag and rename program.
Been so long since my shit was messed up I don't know exactly what the name is.
Set up your tags like Bag said, the - is called the seperator., just configure and follow the prompts.
It will give you undo options if it is wrong.

It will let you edit and repair tags by batch/folder, one by one would kill you.

Mensajes Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 9:25 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)