Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Hardware Vs. Software Mixing

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hey guys !!!!!!!!!!

Ikke....maybe you or someone else would be good at explaining this......

Many times in this forum, we've talked about "mix" being done in the hardware and the software, I know a little about thw two...but i want to know more. What is the difference between the two.....how come equalization being done in the hardware poses a problem ???

Thanks ALOT guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave.

Mensajes Tue 15 Jan 02 @ 5:11 am
In hardware mode, the soundcard mixes the two songs, so your CPU is used less. In software mode, Atomixmp3 computes the mixing itself, and sends the data to the soundcard afterwards. This takes a bit more power out of the CPU, but allows you to add effects and other stuff to the songs. In the next version, the equalizers will also be available in hardware mode, so it will be kind of a mixed hardware/software mode.

Mensajes Tue 15 Jan 02 @ 11:07 am
just for the record: effects are also available in hardware mode in the current version...

Mensajes Tue 15 Jan 02 @ 4:51 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
Well, it's quite easy. Hardware mode means the data is "written to the metal" (or how do they call that in english), and the audio data is processed in your soundcard, only a part by your CPU. In soft mode, everything is calculated by the CPU, and afterwards, it's sent to your soundcard. Your soundcard doesn't have to change anything to this data (except normalizing sometimes), it only converts the digital data signal to an analog one, and sends it to your speakers/mixer/... Normally soft mode is slower than hardware mode, because you use your CPU a lot, but if your CPU is fast enough, you better use soft mode, because there are more calculations possible by your CPU (these calculations are needed to change the form of your data, e.g. to use an equaliser. The functions to achieve this are bundled in something called "DSP" (digital signal processing), but this is very theoretical. If you wanna know more about this, check the newsgroup comp.dsp. DSP is e.g. used a lot in celphones). In hardware mode, you can't change (modify using DSP functions) your audio data fast enough to achieve effects, gain, volume, EQ,... fast enough (well, that's what I've read about it... ;-)).
If I'm somewhere wrong, please correct me.

Greetz, ikke

Mensajes Tue 15 Jan 02 @ 9:32 pm
How come ikke isn't at least an experienced member right now? I doubt most people could describe that, and also, he definetily participates all the time in the forum. Team, move him up! Keep up the good work and help Ikke!!!!!!!!1

Mensajes Wed 16 Jan 02 @ 3:49 am
;-) THX a lot!

Mensajes Wed 16 Jan 02 @ 9:32 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Dang, developing a real fan club here... next thing he'll be elected the president! hehehe

Mensajes Wed 16 Jan 02 @ 11:16 pm
Damn, Belgium is a monarchy, so I can't become president... :-( ;-)

Mensajes Thu 17 Jan 02 @ 9:42 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)