Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Graphics card for video mixing - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Ok, I got second thought of the planned nVIDIA 6800 GT card I was planning to buy.
I wonder, do you REALLY need a gaming card for VDJ? I got me thinking of the good old MATROX Parhelia cards. So I compared the later Matrox P650 with the 6800 GT card.

Matrox Millenium P650 128MB Dual Head PCI-Express
128MB DDR
400 MHz RAMDACs, DUAL

http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/winfast_px6800_gttdh_2.html

Leadtek WinFast PX6800 GT TDH
256MB DDR3
400 MHz RAMDACs

http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/cre_pro/products/apve/home.cfm

I have still doubts, do you need lots of GPU/RAM or lots of CPU/RAM? Could the matrox card work for video mixing?

Mensajes Sun 28 Aug 05 @ 9:51 am
Just got back from performing at ClubCafe "Boston's Video Club" for 8 HOURS of NON-stop Video Mixing, using 3.1 - I will post info about this ROCK SOLID system - and why I think the other systems, and combinations of hardware/software failed.... Now for some Sleep :)
~SDK

Mensajes Sun 28 Aug 05 @ 2:16 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Antileon,

The more we can get for the money the better... Matrox Cards are fine in theory. Games need more resources than everything else, that's why the SELL this products with this label. Intel sells his 840 Extreme Edition Processor for gamers (2 Dual Core Processor with HT in a single chip, there are like 4 processor machine in Windows XP).

I use X600 from ATI, because it was cheaper than NVidia 6600GT. If I could get ATI X850 or NVidia 7800, I do it.

Matrox is a very fine Video Card but look the specs and the price, then take a choice. I find Matrox a fine video card for not moving objects (pictures, design) but the videos require a fast video card to display it without problems, that's why we choose a Labeled gamer video card.

Mensajes Sun 28 Aug 05 @ 6:34 pm
Thanks for the input.

Mensajes Sun 28 Aug 05 @ 8:47 pm
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
By default, Virtual DJ is using the cards differently from any videogame.

First video decoding is using -if available- Nvidia PureVideo and Ati's owns solution.
Matrox is at first glance already out of the charts ;)

Then as VirtualDJ is DirectX oriented, if plugins are using DX9 based instructions the output will be a lot quicker on these cards (regarding the fact that some cards will then unable to launch some plugions that are using Shaders 1.2 or greater)

Last my personnal advice : Choose a card with the maximum of RAM embedded. In games, this is hardly used at its maximum as games are optimized for mass market cards. In Virtual DJ, the card is really used at its full memory capabilities.

Mensajes Mon 29 Aug 05 @ 8:13 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Just to add to what Yan-x is saying. The video card memory is going to effect that scratching perfomace, the more video ram the more you can backspin.

Mensajes Mon 29 Aug 05 @ 8:32 am
Thanks again for input. I am really convinced now. My doubts and questions has been somewhat cleared now. I will stick to the original plan of getting the 6800 GT card, that has 256MB of DDR3 RAM. Thanks for the support, guys.

Mensajes Mon 29 Aug 05 @ 4:16 pm
TileTomPRO InfinityMember since 2017

Mensajes Mon 29 Aug 05 @ 5:10 pm
I want one !,
It's amaizing... I wonder what performance you get with this video card.

Mensajes Mon 29 Aug 05 @ 5:40 pm
That may be my next upgrade. That is if Cyder okays it...

Mensajes Mon 29 Aug 05 @ 6:19 pm

Mensajes Mon 29 Aug 05 @ 8:03 pm
I don't sure Cyder. The 7800 is faster, but how affects our overall performance a 512MB VRAM vs 256 MB VRAM?. (I just wonder).

But for $11 I also go for the best.

In theory the 7800 most gave us more performance since got more memory bandwith: 4.8 GB/s ( 6800=33.6 GB/s, 7800=38.4 GB/s) and more Fillrate: 3.92 billion pixels x sec (6800= 6.4, 7800=10.32) and manage more pixels per clock (6800=16 bits vs 7800=24bits)

Mensajes Mon 29 Aug 05 @ 8:46 pm
"The 7800 is faster, but how affects our overall performance a 512MB VRAM vs 256 MB VRAM?. (I just wonder)." I wonder myself...

Somebody buy one of each on the deferred payment plan, compare, and let us all know! P.S., there is a $20 rebate on the 7800, so it is actually less expensive...

:-)

Mensajes Tue 30 Aug 05 @ 12:21 am
with picture it like this

using a straw to pour water in a big bucket 6800 /w 512 meg of vram

or using a fire hose to fill a smaller bucket 7800 with 256

Mensajes Tue 30 Aug 05 @ 1:47 am
Cute analogy.

Mensajes Tue 30 Aug 05 @ 3:24 am
That looks like a powerful card...

I prefer ATI's 9800 or higher cards which are good enough for the job. I like the all in wonder series because you can play games, do graphics, use Virtual Dj for video mixing and watch tv all with the same video card. Doesn't hurt if you also have 2 gigs of corsair memory. LOL!

VDJ Batibiri

Mensajes Tue 30 Aug 05 @ 6:42 am
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
i dont understand why these powerful cards just dont come with tv tuners like ATI does. with this weak 32MB card ALL-IN-WONDER ATI 8500DV [2.2GHz CPU] i always have my resolution at 1600X200 and a tv window up. and everything still works flawless.

Mensajes Tue 30 Aug 05 @ 8:35 pm
because its a waste! most cable companies require you to have a set top box any how both cards support vivo. Besides do you really want to watch tv on your pc? Most of us are just doing captures.

Mensajes Tue 30 Aug 05 @ 9:06 pm
I bought a TV Tuner Card 4 years ago... Now I'm only using the capture capabilities of this card. I use a box from my cable company and I have it plug it to me TV Tuner via RCA.

If I have to choose a new solution I go for a Video Capture Card, it will works better.

The 9800 are fine for a general propouse solution, but I feel more secure with a X series of ATI. The performance for mix videos it's much better. I have an X600 because I didn't find a X850 or a N-Vidia 6600GT when I go for shop my video card.

Mensajes Tue 30 Aug 05 @ 10:02 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
yeah it sucks that u cant watch all the channels but its really really convinient when the card has a tv tuner. u can watch about 60 channels without the box which includes MTV, BET and the sports channels thats enuff.

yes i want to watch tv on my pc and with 1600X1200 resolution u have all the room to see everything. there's not much one can do with a 1280X786 anymore. jump from 1280X786 to 1600X is like going from DOS to windows for me. On top of all this gazillion program multitasking i Remoted Desktop Connect to other pcs and laptops on my Home Network network.
i have a lot of stuff recorded in the DVR but its just a lot of work to move it from the living room to here.
(for those that dont know what a dvr is its the cable boxes that can record and rewind live tv)

Mensajes Tue 30 Aug 05 @ 10:29 pm
63%