Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: 512 enough RAM?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a P4 at 3 ghz and 512 MB RAM. I usually run Virtual DJ and Traction 2 recording studio software (used to interact via firewire with my Mackie Onyx mixing board for karaoke singers microphones) and MS Paint or Sony Movie Studio to update slides for the slideshow that runs when you are not playing karaoke or music videos (usefull to add birthday announcements, etc on the fly--owners and patrons LOVE it.)

Dell called and offered me a RAM upgrade at a discount. Because I will fill all my slots with this upgrade I want to make the right decision.

Current configuration: 2x256MB chips, 2 open slots (I have to put the same thing in the two empty slots if I upgrade)

My options are

a) leave it alone, 512 is fine
b) buy 2 512MB chips for $65 each (free shipping) for a total of 1.5G RAM
c) buy 2 1G chips for $140 each (free shipping) for a total of 2.5 G RAM

I seem to be funtioning okay with what I have. I just anticipate that I would see a speed and overall performance increase with additional RAM. Any advice would be appreciated! THANKS!

Mensajes Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 6:37 pm
I just did that to my desktop. I purchased 2 512's from Circuit City at $59 ea plus you get a $43 mail rebate. So I will end up paying $32 plus tax for 2 512's.
Sys is running more efficient with 1.5g than with 512 that I had before.

So I will pick "B", but I will shop around before buying. Ram is cheap now.

Mensajes Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 7:21 pm
I have 2GB of DDR2 on my laptop....

Mensajes Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 7:37 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
512mb is a good minimum for DJ'ing (more is better but not always needed), if your mixing video and useing alot of samples/effects then 750mb+ is best.

minimizing proccesses in the task manager, having a clear desktop and above all: optimising windows can give dramtic perform increases despite lacking a large amount of RAM.

Mensajes Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 7:51 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Dan, be aware of this. You must to look inside your computer.

Dell was offering memory with less than your system could handle. Example: Your system can run with DDR or DDR2, for the first (DDR) you only have the option to go for a 400MHz memory module. For DDR2 check if your current PC has labeled in the memory 400MHz. If this is true is better to loose this modules (or sale them) and buy 533MHz DDR2 modules.

Don't worry. If your system currently uses DDR333 you could use DDR400. If your system handle DDR2 then you could go to DDR2 533 minimum. Some systems could handle DDR2 667 memory modules (you could see in your PC manual). It's better if you have the fastest memory and get 1GB at last.

Don't mix modules (DDR333 with DDR400; or DDR2 400 with DDR2 533 or DDR2 667) if you did this the system slow down to the slowest memory in your system.

You could get your memory modules made by Kingston in every place at better price (I think) and these modules have a life time warranty.

Mensajes Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 8:08 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Corsair and OCZ make the best memory available and they both have lifetime gaurantees. Using all the slots your motherboard is not reccomended as it puts more strain on the northbridge chip of your motherboard, nearly all motherboards these days are optimised around using a pair of matched memory modules. My advice to you would be go to the dell website and find the upgrades page as they will be able to sell you an exact pairing for the chip you have inside, not to mention not void your warante with third party components. 1024 Mb is a good ammount of mem for any computer and will do you nicely. if you get another identical module make sure you run it in 128 bit (parralelle) mode as this can nearly double the speed at which the memory is run.

Mensajes Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 8:49 pm
Hey What up i very like this program but the only problem is that it cost 1 something and that alot and i have been using the demo shit and i feel the same. i wish to be a club and party DJ. i have dj in party and done a well job but my question is if somebody has or can find me a crack on the real program or any way i could use the real stuff. If u got some Hit me up PLz At --@--.-- Or --@--.--
THANKS ALot,
DJMaQueJode

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry maquejode no email address is allowed from a demo user

Mensajes Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 9:41 pm
djdanmcdermott,
keep in mind that most mainboards are capable of handling maximum 2048MB of Ram. So probably the 2,5G option will not work.
Ewout

Mensajes Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 10:10 pm
ok, I find in the Dell options:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_8400?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&~tab=specstab#tabtop

You could get up tu 4GB DDR2 533MHz. I suggest to open your PC and look into the memory chips . The must be labeled if they are 256MB DDR2 400 (I think they are). Get 2 512GB DDR2 533MHz. Or if you can, go for 2 1GB DDR2 533MHz memory modules. You have more performance without the (2) 256MB DDR2 400 that already have your computer. Only put the new one with the specs I give you unless the current memory modules are DDR2 533MHz. This DDR2 533 Increase your memory bandwith 3GB/s more than DDR2 400.

You could fill your memory slots, DDR2 is faster and less power consumption.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&~id=memory&~line=desktops&~mode=popup&~model=8400&~series=dimen&~tab=topic

Mensajes Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 3:10 am
Going throught the experiences i have been through with different 3 different computer and 3 different set ups, i would recomend at least 768 or higher. Windows XP with what ever little programs u may have running in the background to run quickly eats up at least 256MB of RAM. so now you only have 256 to run VDJ and you have to remember all of your songs your loading onto your decks are being stored on your RAM too. Guess what happens when you try to load a big song or try to do an FX? Crash and burn baby!! i know i have been there. I would suggest not having anything less than 1Gig.

Mensajes Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 6:22 am
towlieHome userMember since 2005
yes

Mensajes Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 11:58 pm
I was at 512 meg and found that I would get the odd skip and if i let it run for more than 4 hrs straight it would freeze up.I added another 512 and now i don't the skipping but it will still freeze up sometimes.So I don't know if 1gig is even enough.

Mensajes Sat 03 Sep 05 @ 3:38 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
1 gig is enough, that problem of slow down is something some people have and others don't, regardless of RAM.

Some users only have 256mb ram with no problems, overs in excess of 1gb with lots of problems.

Mensajes Sat 03 Sep 05 @ 3:43 am
idj4uPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Those of you getting little skips and lock ups - are you running a dedicated machine? Or does your PC connect to the internet occasionally? Are you running minimal programs in the background...?

Just curious...

Mensajes Mon 05 Sep 05 @ 9:57 pm
fremdjPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The easy way to know what kind o memory Ram you have in your computer is go to www.crucial.com there look for a link to check your computer then they are going to show you exactly what kind of memory you have and what's the better upgrade for you . you don't have to buy there but let them check for you is 100% sure.

Mensajes Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 3:45 am
In Crucial site (and other like them) they tell you the recommended memory only, they don't know what memory you currently have and they don't tell you some other instructions and warnings; like connect your computer in dual channel (in pairs) and with the same type of modules. Maybe is a guideline, but I don't think it's the best way.

Mensajes Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 5:20 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)