Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Put the seach back the way it was!

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Ok guys,

I've gave it a go, I'm still partial to the way searching was handled in 1.08 Can we at least get the option to use both? I know we can get use to it, but why not map the search button on the older version to go to a seperate seach page?

Still testing...

Mensajes Mon 05 Apr 04 @ 4:45 am
I like it in 1.09 better. Seems easier and faster to use. You can also be more organized. Although I would love the load playlist button back....

Mensajes Mon 05 Apr 04 @ 5:18 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don't know about you guyz, but I like this new search option a lot. And it can still be used as in 1.08, instead of clicking on search you point the database button. And I believe it saves time when searching in bigger databeses, escpecially if you have at least some idea where the song might be (depends on your map shortcuts). The way I use it, it's perfect!:)

Thanks team, and keep up the good work!

Mensajes Mon 05 Apr 04 @ 3:28 pm
I don't have any complaints about the new search option ...
It's better then before in my opinion. It just needs getting used to.

GnoedeL

Mensajes Mon 05 Apr 04 @ 5:24 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I suppose it will take some getting used to.
I was pretty comfortable with it the way it was though.

To be able to have both instances running at the same time was great when loading the waitlist. I might spot a song or artist in the viewable record case and a song will come to mind, thus, search, load and return to the same position in the record case without having to reopen it and find the point where I was before the search.

Now we have to scroll back to get to find the data base, select, search and load, clear the search and then scroll back and find where we were in the particular directory.
Not sure why it was changed, it is the best in the business.

It kind of equates to searching Google and then having google lock up your browser untill you close out Google......
Not to mention it takes two lines out of the viewable record case.

Think about it

I am not presenting an agruement but please correct me if i'm wrong on this.

Mensajes Mon 05 Apr 04 @ 8:54 pm
guess its just me then, I hate it. It takes too long to seach you've added more mouse use, taken away space from the viewable record case. I'm disappointed, but I still have 1.08 to fall back on for now. For me 1.09 is still on the shelf because of the search.

Mensajes Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 4:25 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Simply click the hdd icon in the tree list. Consider it the search button.

Mensajes Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 8:31 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
the only thing that i dont like about the new search feature is the fact that you've goto scroll all the way up to the top of your folder list to be able to search all of your songs.
if it were possible to create a shortcut to it (Database) or to always have it as the top icon on the file list no matter where you were on the list it would be a great addition.

It is like this on the file window with the search field so it should not be too hard to implement and it would make the search alot easier and more versitile

Mensajes Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 12:54 pm
But, but, but, what was soooo wrong about the way it was?
I don't get it, how about fixing the bpm calculator instead?

Mensajes Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 1:12 pm
the old way was much easyer!!!!!!!!!

Mensajes Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 7:48 pm
Bring the old way back! Please!!!!!!!!!!!

Mensajes Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 8:02 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It looks like most who cared to comment are OK with the way it is now. The more I use it, the better I like it. Keep using it, you'll see that it's better than before now.

Mensajes Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 8:07 pm
3 don't like
4 like

thats "most"?? anyway I not alone in my thinking here. The new seach is worse than the old one and requires more mouse work to use. If you want to make the serach better, taking away from the record case is not the way to do it, and I still can't search by comment or bpm....

Mensajes Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 10:58 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You can sort by comment or BPM.
Man, it is what it is. The finest working DJ mixing software on the market. Try to make the best of it, your opinion has been recognized and duly noted.

Mensajes Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 11:31 pm
Rick,
He isn't talking about "sorting" he is talking about "searching".
Other programs we own will do this. Songs with "good dance" in the comment field or the like will appear when the search is entered as "good dance" and the same with bpm. You want all songs with 130 bpm it will search and display all the songs with 130 bpm.

Yes, I agree, this is the best on the planet.
But, the changes take getting used to.
And, extra steps take a concious effort to use and implement.
Maybe someone will explain the benefits of the new search.

Mensajes Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 11:49 pm
Well, let me clear my throat [:o)

I was one of the advocates of improving the Search functionality WITHIN PLAYLISTS. (http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=1663
)

Thank you Atomix Dev for at least trying to accommodate the idea in 1.09. In case I'm not clear, I appreciate the ability to find tracks in my big Playlists.

Mp3jrick makes a good point when he describes the routine to now search for tracks at large and then come back to where you were in the playlist. Although this is not frequent for me, I can see where it would be extra work for those who mix tracks that are scattered all over their HDDs and depend heavily on BPM values to beatmix.

I think Atomix has made a good effort to cover a lot of bases, with the new Search, but I don't think djRick, or anyone, should suggest that we accept something just because it is what it is.

What vDJ is, is a great tool that I choose to use and agree, that it is better than anything else that I have seen overall. But if there is room for improvement, Atomix should entertain the comments from people who spend most of their time using vDJ.

That said, I would like to point out 2 things that I see right off the bat concerning the new Search functionality.

==
If I am Searching the playlist, why can't the cursor just move to the track within the Playlist as it finds it and keep it highlighted ? Currently, when it finds the track, I have to click on what has been found to highlight it, clear the Search box, then scroll down the Playlist to see where my highlight is. I don't think it is a matter of getting used to it, there are just unnecessary steps (clicks) involved. How about a 2 color approach where the last track loaded from the Playlist is always highlighted in a different color than the color of what the cursor is highlighting from touch or search ?

To Cyderhouse and Discotronic's point, I think there should be a separation of how the search is performed within the Playlist vs the HDD at large. I would agree with maintaining the "old way" for searching the HDD at large.

Maybe my idea of a Playlist is wrong. Is a Playlist just a collection of songs I like to play or an arrangement that is similar to how I used to arrange my vinyl case ? The former brings to mind the unorganized DJs I used to see digging around their record cases to find a track because they don't have their records arranged in any sort of order. And for those of you who were organized, don't tell me you didn't used to leave the vinyl record jacket sticking up so that you could put the record back and maybe pull up another record that is close by in the record case ?

==
Something I reported in 1.08 still exists in 1.09. If I choose to make the Playlist the default in the "tree" window then choose the Default button again, the Playlist is removed from the tree and can only be recovered by reinstalling vDJ. Pay attention guys.

Well that’s my spill, sorry to be long winded. Hope I made valid points and look forward to constructive responses.

Good job vDJ development and please take my comments constructively. [:o)

Mensajes Wed 07 Apr 04 @ 4:23 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Cyderhouse you're right!

There's another bad thing :

Before
------
When I go to the search mode, I can see the directories where the sounds are located. BUT in browse mode I don't use the driectories's column, as it has no purpose in this mode.
The ability to view the locations is very important for me.

Now with 1.09
--------------
I can show or hide the directories's column, but It'll still show it all time, and the artist and author columns are very short.

So I have no choice : I HAVE to hide this column and now when I do a search, I never see the locations of the tracks. It sucks hard for me I'm very disapointed on this.

Cyder, count me on your side! I want the old search area too.

FRUiT

Mensajes Wed 07 Apr 04 @ 11:33 am
Thanks fruit,

I hope they duely noted means they are getting the message,
Like I said both need to be there even tho this may make for bloated code, some have already adopted the new way. What directories the sounds are in is important to me too, I don't wanna pull something from my explicit lyrics folder at my highschool shows.

looks like it 50-50 now for who likes and dislikes the new way.

Mensajes Wed 07 Apr 04 @ 1:35 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No

In the french forum, some users and moderators claimed their doubts too. This new way of search did not make unanimity in the french community, and this topic in english forum is as an echo. I think we could make a poll: "who wants wich or both" (I want both LOL).

I have to say the ability to search within folders and playlists is an interesting feature, IF the 'standard' old search window is kept.

Hope all of this will change soon...

FRUiT94

Mensajes Wed 07 Apr 04 @ 1:55 pm
dépannez-moi ici !

Yes both would be great, and give us the load playlist button back too! I don't think it would be to hard to bring it back maybe even a skin could fix it by linking to the database and bringing up a new window. Perhaps in the future the Vdj makers could ask users when making a major program change like this, to consider differnt thinking they my not of thought of.

Mensajes Wed 07 Apr 04 @ 3:04 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)