Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Backing up my library

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

has anyone had success backing up library in Windows from one usb external to another.
I have been advised that it can only be done from a dos prompt but that seems like a step back.
I'm not sure if I have a bad drive or not, but whenever I try to copy from one external to the other (brand new drive) I get a error that says "windows delayed write failed. any ideas?

Mensajes Wed 19 Oct 05 @ 11:57 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Depends I've seen it done before. Now you have to remember that usb only has so much bandwith, once that bandwith is exceeded you will get this error or a dropped device. I'm not sure if a usb drive would be able to be read in dos let alone the drive is probably formated in ntfs, which can't be read by legacy dos anyhow. Best thing to do is to find one of the hard drive copiers the police use, which doesn't require a computer at all. Good luck.

Mensajes Thu 20 Oct 05 @ 12:02 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Course you could always copy a little at a time >1 gig

Mensajes Thu 20 Oct 05 @ 12:03 am
Try a utility called Allway Sync (http://www.allwaysync.com) - I use this to syncronise my collection between my desktop PC, laptop and a backup external harddisk.

Mensajes Thu 20 Oct 05 @ 12:18 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Funtunes,... i had this problem, it is something wrong with windows sometimes (possible bug, read it at micro$oft site, but no real solution) and also has to do with the enclosure you use, it must support the drive's capacity. Can be other reasons too for this message but that was my case.
I had a new 160GB WD drive, everything was ok until the first 120GB, then i had this error message everytime i tried to write something.
After research i replaced the drive with a smaller 80gb, and its ok untill now.
This was on a usb 2.0 external enclosure.
BUT, the original 160gb (formated and installed inside the pc as slave), has bad sectors now.
I don't know if it has to do with the enclosure, but keep that in mind, and let me know you see something simillar...

Mensajes Thu 20 Oct 05 @ 2:43 am
I make copies using robocopy. This is a utility that could mirror a drive or folder to another drive or folder. The performance is about 10 times the speed of the normal windows file copy method.

Robocopy is a free tool in the Windows resource kit. It could also been downloaded from the internet. Search google for it to download. It also has a lot of options.

The error is occuring with usb buffer problems. Sometimes occured due to usb power problems (The drive takes more power than the bus could provide, which results in less voltage). This could sometimes be solved by a powered usb hub
Ewout

Mensajes Thu 20 Oct 05 @ 6:31 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I think that, external HD have separate power suply, they don't get much power through USB cable

Mensajes Thu 20 Oct 05 @ 11:53 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Mensajes Thu 20 Oct 05 @ 11:57 pm
Well, I tried the update to XP, that did not solve the problem, Tech. support at LaCei seem convenced there is a problem within the drive, and that the 2 USB devices should work together with no problems.
Through a series of tests we have been able to determine that the files can be copied with the Lacei drive on fire wire and the Seagate on USB, also the Lacei will not copy large groups of file from the C drive either through usb. New usb cable results in the same. the current assumption by Tech. support is that the usb connection plug in the drive is faulty. New drive arrives on Monday, I'll let you know what happens, Thanks to all for the help.

Mensajes Fri 21 Oct 05 @ 10:13 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)