Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Advertising Advice

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi Everybody

Well here is the deal. I enjoy Virtual DJ so much that I've decided to start my own DJ Company. Basically I'll be doing gigs such as wedding, parties etc. This will be a part time weekend hobby. I'm sure there are many others here that do the same thing.

I've been buying equipment and getting things ready including registering as a business and looking into the proper licenses.

My question is can anybody suggest some good ways to advertise besides the obvious. I'm working on business cards and flyers. I also plan to put some ads in some local newspapers and I'm looking into advertising in the local phone book. I am also building a website. Does anybody have any other ideas?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated :-)

Peace
JumpinJim

Mensajes Thu 27 Oct 05 @ 2:14 am
That is how I started five years ago and really still work today. I dj'd for seven years prior to that for companies in the area. Worked at a bar in the area doing karaoke two nights a week, advertised on the net a lot and made sure my work was second to none. Your work for your client is your best advertisement for they will tell at least ten people and those ten will tell tell more. I'm sure you heard this but it is true. However advertising on the net got me started. I now have another dj that works with me and sell jobs to other dj's in the area. I don't want to take the next step to compete with the big boys in the area. I really feel that is when my weekend job will actually become "work". Good luck.

Mensajes Thu 27 Oct 05 @ 2:36 am
Oh yea. And someone may disagree with me but stay away from the phone book. Waste of $$. At least in my area. You may have better luck but I wasted $$$ there.

Mensajes Thu 27 Oct 05 @ 2:37 am
I have had tremendous success with the yellow pages. That said, it depends on your area. If you are in a small town with 2-10 DJs listed you may get a lot of calls from a 1" ($20-50 monthly?) ad in the YP. However, if you are in a big city with four pages of DJ ads, you will have to spend a lot of money on a big ad to stand out because no bride to be is going to call everyone on that list. She is going to call the big, pretty ads and a few others until she gets bored and prob go w the cheapest that seemed competent on the phone.
If you are in the big city category, I would find the venues where wedding receptions and private parties are booked (fire dept bingo halls, moose and other animal lodges, hotel banquet rooms, etc) and cozy up to the person who handles those bookings and ask for referrals.
Obviously those of us who have been in the biz for 10 or more years rely a lot on word of mouth. But starting out you have to do some leg work.
Beware of anyone who calls you (movie theater guides, phone book covers, etc) who offer you the exclusive dj spot on their overpriced ad vehicle. If the ad worked, last years "exclusive dj" would have advertised again.

Mensajes Thu 27 Oct 05 @ 9:49 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
The best, in the party or in where you show your work. Cards are the best way for that, and a webpage of course. If you do a fine job the "mouth-to-mouth" advertising is the best. The people there listen you and have a good reference to hire you or recommend you with friends.

If there are only young people, you can use flyers. But with older people you need to use cards, is better.

Good Luck!

Mensajes Thu 27 Oct 05 @ 5:04 pm
Thanks for the advice everybody. I hope to have my website up and running very soon. I'm almost ready to get my cards and flyers printed out.

And of course word of mouth will be good too once I get this up and running.

Are there any other suggestions? Something nobody has mentioned?

Peace

JumpinJim

Mensajes Sat 29 Oct 05 @ 7:01 pm
Hi
I agree totally word of mouth is defintely the way to go,i have been in the game a long time,maybe being new in the game,Yellow pages , cards etc probaly is a good way to get your name out...
Good luck
Cheers Dj Graham

Mensajes Sat 29 Oct 05 @ 7:14 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)