Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Making the perfect mix CD – Takes & Edits

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

rpradoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Making the perfect mix CD – Takes & Edits

I need help from all of you experts to share your experience with me on how to make a perfect mix CD using VDJ ?
The ways may be : Destructive takes, Non-destructive takes, punch-in recordings, other editing program tools use together with VDJ and your techniques.

For DJs, there are times we need to make a perfect mix CD for different reasons :
- for self memory : I enjoy some of my best mixes from 1984, done using a 4-tracker;
- for demo CDs (I still love live recordings, mistakes in live sets are sometimes memorable or even fun to hear back, however, should not occur in demos);
- as souvenir for friends or family : medley / megamix that includes all songs they want, many songs in very short time.

Another reason that I need to do “takes” is about VDJ or PC problem : I came across many times when I turn the EQ knob of HDJC, the main sound output stops for about half second, I have do start all over the mix.

I am addicted to VDJ , I use HDJC and a Tablet PC with it. I know HDJC comes with Traktor 2.5 which features un-destructive recording by recording all your faders and controls movements.
But if I want to use VDJ for recording, what will be the work arounds ?

For now, I can only think of Destructive takes :

I record for example track01 in 01.mp3, then I record track02 mix-in portion to 02in-take01.mp3, if it is not good enough, I mix again and save to 02in-take02.mp3 and repeat until perfect (ex. 02in-take04ok.mp3), beware, I should write down track 01 faders and EQ positions (or not move them and use only cross-fader) because I do not want ‘01.mp3’ and ‘02in-take04ok.mp3’ sounds different when merged together later.

Files output from above may be as follows :
Track 01 : 3:00 minutes -> 01.mp3
Track 02 mix-in : 30 seconds -> 02in-take04ok.mp3
Track 02 song body : 4:00 minutes -> 02.mp3
Track 03 mix-in : 45 seconds -> 03in-take02ok.mp3
Track 03 song body : 3:00 minutes -> 03.mp3
And so on ……

My question is, in this case, what “Cut & paste” sound editing program is best to merge these files together to make the final mix file?
I have to search and cut the same beat (literally the same beat, ie 1920th beat in the song) in different files (ie 1920th beat in 01.mp3 and 32nd beat in 02in-take04ok.mp3) and then merge the two files together.

In the old days, I use punch-in recording technique for destructive takes.

Then in the 90’s I use Acid pro 2.0 together with Cool edit pro.

And now, can anyone suggest a program that can non-destructively merge the pieces of files together? This will help me a lot.

Other experiences on editing a perfect mix CD welcomed

I have heard from Hercules DJ Console site which has a megamix demo. Do anyone know what editing tools used to merge the pieces?

Useful links :
- Live megamix using VDJ’s sampler
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/43665/General_Discussion/My_Megamixes_with_VDJ.html?page=1&highlight=artimix

- Punch in recording link
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/43932/New_features/Punch-in_(recording).html

Thanks for your patience,

Wish you all have a Happy New Year
and many happy returns !

cheers,

dj Artimix

Mensajes Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 4:48 am
One thing that might help with the music stopping when using the equalizer:

Ctrl+Alt+Delete
Open "Processes" tab
right click on VirtualDJ and set the priority higher
If you are using the hercules console, you also should set the program for that at a higher priority

Mensajes Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 5:05 am
There was some really good threads on doing non-destructive takes and making perfect mixes a while back. Hopefully someone will come up with a link. My idea of making the perfect mix is to use a seperate PC that has multitrack recording software on it and record each song in the mix to a different track. Then use the virtual flying faders during the mixdown and it will be perfect.

Mensajes Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 6:35 pm

Mensajes Sat 31 Dec 05 @ 4:30 am
as far as editing inasmuchas cut and paste, i have had good experiences with goldwave.. its really easy to use..

check out www.audiotoolsdirect.com, they have some really rad stuff...

cheers

DJ Rudra

Mensajes Sat 31 Dec 05 @ 8:46 am
MS

Thanks for the link. It is very helpful.

After reading through the thread, I have the following thought:

How about the VDJ team consider to add a function in future version to record 2 stereo tracks simutanously and enable the user to mix down from them.

I have seen from another thread that someone argue that VDJ is ONLY for live performance use but I think VDJ is for "DJ" use. I think VDJ team should study the processes of how DJs do their work and from that point, plan their direction for future development of VDJ to help DJs to work more easily and more efficiently.

I have explained in the beginning of this thread on why dj need to "produce" perfect mix CD and hope VDJ team can see my point of view. I am addicted to using VDJ and would like it to help me to "produce" the perfect mix.

Thanks again

Cheers

dj Artimix

Mensajes Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 9:45 am
Just a question here. What is wrong with just recording the mix straight to your PC using the VDJ recording option?

Mensajes Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 6:50 pm
Nothing Raw, but the originator was asking about "Making the perfect mix CD – Takes & Edits". Those are two separate monsters. VDJ is good to record a mix and DJ live, but it is not good for creating the perfect mix. You need some editing software for that.

MS

Mensajes Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 11:05 pm
ack....ty for the info mad....I guess I should READ the question instead of just glancing at it. I use Cool Edit Pro, not so cool or new anymore but I am used to it.

Mensajes Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 11:02 pm
Regarding to " My question is, in this case, what “Cut & paste” sound editing program is best to merge these files together to make the final mix file? " in first message of this thread.

I have found a very nice multi-track sound editor yesterday. I have tested it

and find it very useful. Since I only need to do 'non-destructive' cut and

merge, it can do more than what I need.

Software information follows :
REAPER - Audio Recording and Editing for Windows
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/index.php

This software is
small (less than 1MB),
fast,
user interface similar to Acid Pro and
best of all it is free of charge for the time being.

I am very happy with it and recommend to use together with vdj for your perfect
mix CD.

Cheers

dj Artimix

Mensajes Tue 17 Jan 06 @ 11:17 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)