Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: What About the Neighbours?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
At the moment I'm living in a detached house and have the freedom to play music as loud as you would hear in any club!, and I do have it that loud, quite often actually :), It's just the best when your a DJ, you can practice in the perfect sound conditions whenever you feel like it.

I know people who have neighbours or live in apartments have varying amounts of "what noise level is acceptable", some people wont have there TV above mid-vol, other people seem to be able to get away with very loud music (not as loud as me though!) which is fine as long as it doesn't affect anyone else (excessive noise pollution).

Very soon I'll probably be getting my own apartment, I'm looking forward to it in every way except for the music/DJ practice.., gonna be a bummer :(, how do you guys get on?.

Mensajes Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 9:45 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
well i am in a basement, which has very bad sound proofing, i can hear the man sneeze nextdoor so i am sure he can hear the music. I dont think that anyone is in the basement when i play the music so it not really an issue, but i do try and keep it as low as possible. When i record music (music not mixes) your vocals have to be very loud on the mic, in that case i do it only during the day on weekends, besides those suckers make a bit of noise too. :) Just pray you have cool neighbors.

Mensajes Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 9:54 pm
well, you could take the lazy-guys way out.
if the neighbours complain of always listening to your loud music, tell them to enjoy the music or threaten to start charging them money for listening to your sets! lol

ok... so that might be too overboard...

Mensajes Sun 15 Jan 06 @ 11:15 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@DJ_Turbo

Great idea!!! They get the privelages of your sets for free, so how dare they moan!?!?!?!? I suppose if you have nice neighbours you could just invite them for a party!!! lol...:o)

Seriously though, this is a good one. I suppose if you have the luxury of a detached place then it's great, but unfortunately it's not always that easy.

When I'm doing anything, I just use my pc speakers, which isn't much, but at the end of the day, I only need to hear the music to make sure it sounds ok. My place is quite small anyway, so setting up a full rig is a bit of a pain in the ass. At the same time though, I don't think the music really NEEDS to be that loud if you're only practicing.

The greatest feeling I get is when I try a mix I've been working on at a gig when it's nice and loud, and then after the planning it sounds great when the volume has been cranked up a bit. People look at you all goggle eyed and stuff and you just know they're thinking 'wow man'. Afterwards they come up to you and they're like 'nice set mate' - it's a good feeling.

My ultimate goal is to get myself a nice new big pad with a couple of bedrooms and setup a rig in one of them (alongside my pool table/pinball machine/big screen video etc, etc, etc) and have a place I can practice in, but until then, i'll just stick with my 4 watt pc speakers!!!

Keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Mensajes Sun 15 Jan 06 @ 3:27 pm
Before you guys get too far ahead of yourselves... I own a house on 11 acres and my closest neighbor is about 1/8 mile away. I had my setup in the garage last summer just screwing aroung (read cranking!!!). Lo and behold, the police showed up and asked me to turn it down. They were really cool about it. though. They laughed and said I had a little more gear than the average noise complaint.

Mensajes Mon 16 Jan 06 @ 5:30 am
I use studio monitors, which are designed for close-up listening. These are nice and loud close-up, but the sound level drops off considerably when you move away from them.

Mensajes Mon 16 Jan 06 @ 2:52 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Same here, JBL 4206 studio monitors, 1 meter/yard from each ear :)
Great frequency coverage, you can trust that your EQ tweaks will sound good in the recording if they sound good on the studio monitors, and as jpboggis points out the sound level drops off considerably when you move away from them.

Mensajes Mon 16 Jan 06 @ 4:45 pm
@pionara,
Good long term goal!

Yeah i just use headphones to do all my mixing, then ill put it on a cd, and take it to my big ass sound system :) (and give copies to my friends).
Lucky enough for me I'm on 37 acres, but only 8ks from the city :D.
My poor neighbours, if its not my loud techno mixes pumping through the day and night, its my motorbike :s

god i love my hardcore and trance!
happy spinning guys :):)

Mensajes Tue 17 Jan 06 @ 6:00 am
hey that anonymous one came from me..
wonder why it did that

Mensajes Tue 17 Jan 06 @ 9:48 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)