Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: SERATO vs. VIRTUAL DJ??

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Whats up everyone!! Im noticing that mp3 deejaying is taking over everywhere, but it seems that the standard is serato which is way more expensive than vdj. Does anyone know the difference between the two. Its funny how Deejay booths are becoming smaller because mp3 and cd deejaying is taking over. has anyone noticed that? lol

Mensajes Fri 03 Mar 06 @ 9:28 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
You may want to search the forum. There are extensive conversations on this subject.

In "MY" opinion, VDJ is the better buy. It's less expensive, has more features and better support. Besides that, The development team is always working on improvements and upgrades.

Virtual DJ even has it's own internet radio station.

The main difference that I see between the two is that serato is only for timecoded vinal while VDJ is for timecoded vinal, timecoded cd's, video, and Karaoke. Plus samples, effects for audio and video, multiple skins, use with controler, external mixer, or stand alone on the computer.

The choice is yours but I chose VDJ over serato and I have used both.

Good luck

Mensajes Fri 03 Mar 06 @ 10:28 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've used both, and I've chosen virtual DJ.

Serato re-creates the vinyl dj experience, but does nothing more. It doesn't really take advantage of the PC platform the way VDJ does. So if you want loops, effects and samples, you are going to have to pay even more for a mixer that does these things. My question is why should I have to buy an expensive mixer when my laptop should be capable of these things anyway?

If you are a hard-core vinyl DJ, and you don't want to "cheat" by using the computer for beatmixing, loops, samples and the like, then perhaps Serato is for you. I don't think it's cheating, but some close-minded types seem to think so.

Also, VDJ is just more versatile. I love beatmixing and scratching, but the vast majority of my DJ work comes from weddings and corporate parties. Beatmixing just isn't practical or advisable for these functions, so I don't even bring the decks to them. I've been a working mobile DJ for almost 2 years with VDJ, and I won't ever go back to CD's or vinyl.

Mensajes Fri 03 Mar 06 @ 11:02 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
so well said socross. that's exactly it in a nutshell. i have debated the comparison myself and have spent some time on their forums. they believe they have no competition. i had a funny conversation about it with a ssl user. they really believe there is no other s/w. this latest release of vdj just makes me laugh. old time vinyl djs on that forum...Yeah they still do it a little better then vdj (vinyl simulation)...but nothing else. no loops or effects and no audience other then scratch dj's. The house and trance guys...they're all here. Go vdj..and go vdjradio. :) you can tell i really like the latest release lol

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 4:37 am
Plain and simple, VDJ is a full featured program that does everything anyone could ever want in a DJ program. Auto-mixing, beatmatching, music videos, effects, you name it. VDJ is a program that is trying to be everything to everyone, and doing it all pretty well at a very low price point.

SSL is really a VERY simple program. Bedroom DJs and the like would probably not see the attraction, as the feature list is not very long, especially when compared to a program like VDJ.

Everyone here even admits that SSL has better TCV support. I'm not sure that is even true. I think they are about the same. I mean it's TCV,.. not rocket science. TCV works mostly fine under VDJ.

So now you have some facts from me (a long time VDJ user) and some other users on the forum. I'll sum it up by saying, if you are comparing VDJ to SSL and there is really a question in your mind about which to choose,.. you are probably a VDJ user.

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 4:54 am
well with the new update VDJ is coming very close to SSL's TCV's sound and control. so maybe someday soon you'll see some SSL users switching over :D. would be funny to see since a few of our members have switched over in the past ;).

VDJ used to have some TCV issues in the past but this last update makes it greater then ever before. Sound engine is still under way and I'm sure it will be great.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 5:06 am
VDJ is a 'jack of all trades' good at most it does, but not the best. Still it scores very high overall I think.. It just tries to be everything to anyone..

Serato is much more basic, has a limited featureset but is the absolute best at the stuff it does.. (IMO). One of the most important pros is the killer recordcase system.. which is way better then anything I have seen on other programs.

If you're a clubjock and want to replace your record crates with virtual ones without a (steep) learning curve Serato is for you IMO.

And Serato is not expensive, in fact it's free. You pay for the hardware which is about as expensive as hardware of equal quality (like the RME HDSP RPM).

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 12:07 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Virtual DJ is the ultimate in control, you have a lot of control over the music through the visual means as well as the manual (cue/beat mix), that for me is what makes this program a standout over the competition, you have the best control which means more creativity and easier use.

VDJ hasn't labelled it's self, it is with much success doing many things, but at the same time I'd say VDJ remains to be most loyal to the Digital DJ, that is what this program is about, and I'd say that is the main focus of the Dev Team. Video mixing, Karaoke etc are just added extras that work very well and will appeal to those people who are looking for a program to do it all.

I wouldn't say VDJ is the "jack of all trades", I'd say it's the master of one: "DJ app" with the competitive edge of delivering more high quality features at the cost of nothing to the paying customer.

The moment I want the best KJ program or the best VJ program will be the moment I start looking for one, but I found VDJ because I was looking for the best DJ program, and that is what it is (in my humble opinion) but since all the wonderful updates it has also become the best all in one.

What really puts the icing on the cake is that the Dev teams agenda is constructed based on the issues/requests brought up on these forums, serving the people with no arrogance.

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 12:45 pm
These products don't really even compare to eachother. Matter of fact, I'm going to label this thread and all other future threads of this topic, "ridiculous".

People who need SSL will seek it out, not very easily either. SSL does not even have a way for users to give it a try before buying it. You either have to go to the local Guitar Center and try, use a friends setup or check it out in any of the many clubs that are using it.

SSL has no loops (not in stable version), no BPM engine, no auto-mixing, no auto-beat matching, no pitch lock (not in stable version), no midi mapper, keyboard shortcuts can't be customized, external controllers can't be used, no music videos, no plugin architecture, no skins, the list goes on and on. I'ts also been beat to death on this forum.

Funny though how SSL is a frequent topic here and VDJ has never been mentioned over there. The only software I've ever heard mentioned over there is FS, since there are a lot of ex-FS users who converted to SSL. I've also seen a mention of DJdecks,.. since they reverse engineered SSL vinyls so they work with DJ decks - not a bad move really. At least the vinyls are available in thousands of stores worldwide (something VDJ could benefit from).

Yes, I know both software programs very well. I've been using VDJ since 1.9, December of 2004. I've only been using SSl since mid Jan-2006.

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 4:50 pm
313ctroHome userMember since 2005
Anewsome, quit acting like a double agent spy. We all know you only use SSL now for gigs, you said so yourself in one of the other 5-6 locked VDJ vs SSL threads here. Isn't that why you got bumped down from VIP to Exp User? You act like SSL is the best on their forums and then come over here and put it down and say VDJ is the greatest.

Quote :
Funny though how SSL is a frequent topic here and VDJ has never been mentioned over there. The only software I've ever heard mentioned over there is FS, since there are a lot of ex-FS users who converted to SSL.

By all means, I'd love to see a VDJ thread over there on the SSL forums. They only talk about FS2 becuase FS2 is SSL's only compition. Here's the way I look at it.

SSL vs FS2 (programs that come with their own hardware)

VDJ vs Mixvibes DVS vs djDecks vs PCDJ (programs that use your own soundcard/hardware)

[quote]These products don't really even compare to eachother. Matter of fact, I'm going to label this thread and all other future threads of this topic, "ridiculous".
[/quote]

I'll agree with that. SSL is a TCV (noisemap actually) only program with an optional internal mode. VDJ is just the opposite, an Internal mode program with optional TCV support. Apples and Oranges. People don't buy SSL to use at weddings or corporate events and I agree VDJ is better for those types of events. SSL is for those who want only the best true-to-life vinyl control of digital files.

I don't care for for your cheesy sounding effects, wack ass sounding master tempo (just wait for SSL's Pitch N Time, it's gonna blow anything else away), crap looking skins that look like a 12 year old made them in MS Paint, or external controllers. You guys even have a (poorly copied) SSL skin for VDJ! What does that tell you! And if you want to get technical you can use MIDI controlers in SSL with external MIDI to keyboard apps. SSL has looping also, albeit only manual.

[quote]If you are a hard-core vinyl DJ, and you don't want to "cheat" by using the computer for beatmixing, loops, samples and the like, then perhaps Serato is for you. I don't think it's cheating, but some close-minded types seem to think so.
[/quote]

It is cheating, plain and simple. Don't get me started on automixing and autoBPM. What, you want VDJ to wipe your ass for you too? Those "feature" as you call them are for no skill wack ass bedroom djs that'll never play out in the "real world." I have no respect for people like you that call yourself a "dj" but can't mix two songs without having a computer do it for you, which doesn't do it all that great either from what I hear. Nothing beats a good pair of ears.

The only thing VDJ has on SSL is video mixing. I will give you guys props for that. But I hear that your video mixing is only shaky at best. Still nowhere near Pio-DVJ quality and reliability.

Quote :
Yeah they still do it a little better then vdj (vinyl simulation)...but nothing else. no loops or effects and no audience other then scratch dj's. The house and trance guys...they're all here. Go vdj..and go vdjradio. :) you can tell i really like the latest release lol

Wow, you have a internet radio station, want a cookie?

Yes it is true a lot of turntablist/scratch djs use SSL,and that's for a good reason, but there are many Techno, Trance and House dj's that use SSL. In fact the biggest Techno and Trance dj in the WORLD, Richie Hawtin and Paul Van Dyke, use SSL. So that argument doesn't hold.

Quote :
In "MY" opinion, VDJ .... has better support. Besides that, The development team is always working on improvements and upgrades.

Quote :
What really puts the icing on the cake is that the Dev teams agenda is constructed based on the issues/requests brought up on these forums, serving the people with no arrogance.

What, and you don't think SSL listens to it's customers. You must not know what else SSL stands for. You'll see this quite often on the SSL forums.....

S uperior
S upport
L eader

So, please lock this thread like the other ones becuase I'm sure you're all getting sick and tired of the VDJ vs SSL threads. I know I am. I just hope some people will get to read this before my post is deleted.

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 7:39 pm
Each application has their own advantages. yeah I can pitch with cds, TTs, and with the software. if the software allows me to save 10 seconds well then I have just gained 10 seconds off my mixing time which gives me 10 seconds to keep wowing the crowd with something else like a sample, using 4 or even 6 TTs at the same time... who cares? Your either pleasing yourself (and if your doing that please do it in the privacy of your own home of bedroom) or pleasing the crowd in which that is what people want and pay for.

A DJ with no crowd is nothing more then a bedroom DJ or a jukebox in an empty bar.

now instead of making a compilation in 3 months or more I can do them live with 4 decks and VDJ. would like to see a TT DJ do the same with regular vinyl pitching and matching every song so they all fit in right. oh and don't forget that this compilation (or any proper compilation) should be in perfect harmonics. that is kind of difficult to do unless you classify your music harmonicly.

Well either way. either DJs go with SSL, VDJ, PCCD, DJDecks...it really doesn't matter. your using the tools of the trade. use these tools to make money and please the crowd your playing for. THAT is the work of a DJ.

Oh and to mention something funny there are 2 posts on the SSL forums with the mention of VDJ. nothing really big and fancy as this but I still think these posts are ridiculous as Anewsome mentioned above. we should have some private forums to keep some idiots away and have the decency of having some profesionalism on our forums. have good informative posts and not some useless ones like this.

take a car mechanic. would you be pissed off at him for using power tools to make his job faster and easier? Why would you be pissed off at a DJ using tools to his advantage?

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 8:09 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Music
Music Software
DJ Software

It's fair to compare any two DJ softwares, grow up people.

Auto features are on the increase in DJ hardware and software, they are here to stay, many of the big names use them (if you care about 'Idols'), they basically provide potential for skilled DJ's to achieve bigger and better things. The funny thing is that well established DJ's don't contest about these things, it's only the bedroom DJ's who get offended by this new technology, I think that says something.

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 9:33 pm
@313ctro,.. double agent spy? Get serious man. I was simply stating that if someone is trolling this forum, wondering which is better for them - VDJ or SSL,.. they are clearly a VDJ user.

Yes, I only use SSL for performance now. For MY use it's no question which is better.

What I find extremely funny is that the very thing that makes SSL people choose SSL (VDJ bloat and endless feature creep), is the exact thing that VDJ users love so much about VDJ - ALL THE STUFF IT DOES AND ALL THE FEATURES.

SSL users seem to be the types the just want a program to read the timecode, play the song and stay the hell out of the way. This is why "NEW" DJs are so drawn to VDJ and all of its whizbang features, while vinyl purists and turntablists seem to be so drawn to SSL.

Which also reinforces my earlier post. These threads are ridiculous. People are love SSL (and they do, passionately) are never going to be attracted to VDJ and I'd say the converse is mostly true. If you're a happy VDJ user, you'd probably not be too happy with SSL and it's lack of features.

Me personally, I hope both products continue down the exact path they are going now.

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 10:24 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
313ctro
I think everybody has a right to an opinion in this forum.
Aaron has done much more good than harm on this forum and certainly has a right to his.

These discussions are healthy for the sake of comparison, not to say one is better than the other.
They get out of control when people like yourself come in and take aim, and espeically coming from a non licenced user like you is out of line.
You put quite a bit of time into your post and it gets too personal which is against policy here.

I hate censorship, but when this happens there is little left for options before things spiral out of control.
So with that having been said, I will have to close this thread to prevent any further dialog of this type.

There have been many requests to lock out or level up away from non licenced users, and we have kept the door open for you guys to get the full experience and assistance you require to use and evaluate the program.
So please be polite and respectfull of those who have achieved higher user status, vip status is not given to anybody, it is earned.

And if you don't like the program, the people or dialog then just stay away please.

Thank you

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 11:08 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)