Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Will Hardware Units kill Software Solutions? - Page: 2

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Thanks Bagpuss for the reply.
I have seen all of the pages here concerning digital mixing.

Actually I ordered me a pair of Technics SL-1200M3D on ebay but the seller became a dead beat.
I got a great deal and I guess it was too low of a price for him although there was no reserve. Now I have to wait for another 4 days for PayPal to allow me to file for a refund and then some.
I also purchased two VDJ time encoded vinyls.

I was thinking of going all digital but then decided to go old school but with time encoded vinyls.
Now I am thinking about going digital and have a question regarding quality of the sound as far as the realness of the sound of scratch. Does it sound like a vinyl or does it sound like the crappy stock VDJ setup without any tables?

Thanks a lot
Also does anyone know anything about how good are the Gemini XL-120 and Technics SL-1200 MKII
as compared to the SL-1200M3D.

Also are the Denon DN-S5000 good tables in the digital world?

THANKS A LOT

Mensajes Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 11:14 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
digital scratch is never going to sound the same as real wax but however good the scratch is at the moment (i think its great but i dont scratch too much) its going to get even better with VDJ 4 that is coming out soon.

Mensajes Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 11:25 pm
i see advantages to both. here are some thoughts:

software pros: quicker to adapt new features, much more versatile, computers easily upgradeable, cheaper since cost per distributed copy is often zero--it's almost all development, marketing, and support overhead and much of that up front

software cons: difficulty for non techies, prone to problems with mutiple applications by different vendors running on same machine (although a fresh windows install on a dedicated machine that is never hooked up to the Internet and only runs VDJ helps this a lot)

hardware pros: usually much more stable (how often do you have to "reboot" a cell phone or an ipod versus a computer), usually a WHOLE lot easier to use for non-techies, in many cases you turn it on and it works, easier to train other djs on

hardware cons: often more expensive until it becomes mainstream and the asians build them better and cheaper, cost per unit much more expensive than software, time from idea to sale is longer since the cost is so much higher than software manufacturers have to make sure it will sell before committing to development and a production line, easier to build in RIAA/DRM crap to make it more difficult for us to do our jobs

hardware will be available at some point that will play karaoke, video, and mp3s. and for someone who isn't inclined to computers (although most djs are by nature interested in gadgets) the hardware solutions will be a good choice. but for the creative, innovative, competitive, and intelligent dj who always wants to surprise his audience and push the envelope, software will always be a step or two ahead, despite it's penchant for blips hear and there.

i agree with a previous posters comment that virtual scratching isn't the same. it's good but like comparing a drum pad with a set of live drums used by an experienced professional drummer. there are differences even the layman could detect. that said--there are things you can do and advantages with software and gear you could never duplicate with turntables. (video comes to mind.) both are good--just different.

Mensajes Sat 15 Apr 06 @ 6:27 pm
tunicPRO InfinityMember since 2004

I think there is a big issue with any advanced hardware or software in a club situation - and that is you have to take your own kit which is not how typical clubs tend to operate. That is why clubs used to always standardise on Technics and have now generally also standardises on Pioneer CDJ-1000s.

On a typical club night in London you will have 4 or 5 DJs playing through the night which doesn't leave much room for multiple setups. Not to mention you just don't get the chance to test or soundcheck - leaving a lot up to pure faith on the night.

And in the bigger clubs you can probably forget about getting your mits behind the mixer desk to connect your cables in - unless you are headlining and a big name DJ.

Therefore, standard controllers with mass storage access is probably going to be the way forward. At the end of the day there will eventually only be so many ways to implement looping, efects and I am sure there will be a standard format for storing file based cuepoints before long.

However, software as DJ In Norway said, will definately have a place for learning and also for mobile DJs as ultimately it is cheaper and the hardware (PC/laptop) is more versatile than DJ hardware.

Mensajes Sat 15 Apr 06 @ 8:01 pm

Mensajes Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 8:54 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)