Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Anti Virus - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I Need a good anti virus that doesn't have unnecessary services that drain my PC like McAfee. Any suggestions?

Mensajes Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 8:01 am
AVG Antivirus works pretty good for me. www.grisoft.com

Mensajes Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 12:53 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I use Avast too (the FREE version), but it's generally considered in the industry that you should pay for a more 'active' software, where there's a team of workers cracking the new viruses as they emerge. Nortons and Macafee are considered to be the best in this regard, that's why most corporations will use one or the other.

Mensajes Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 2:08 pm
I use Avast Home Edition (Free), and I´ve never had any problem. I really like it, but that might just be my opinion xD...

Dj Joe

Mensajes Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 3:16 pm
AVG Antivirus it's a good free one that doesn't eat anything, but.. sometimes it doesn't detect certain virusses.

Mensajes Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 5:06 pm
Thanks, i'm gonna try them both and see what I like. The VDJ community is wonderful, don't you think? KillBill

Mensajes Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 6:11 pm
On my gig pc I dont have any virus protection at all. This pc never leaves the van and is also never connected to any network or pc.
On my laptop I run Mcafee, but when I use it during a gig, I stop all mcafee related services. I stop also my network services, so it could never connect (wired or wireless) to any network or the internet.
Ewout

Mensajes Sun 11 Jun 06 @ 2:32 pm
I have been using McAfee for years and have never had any issues with it. Like other vdj users, I turn it off when doing gigs. At home, I leave it on and have not experienced any issues with my PC.

Mensajes Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 3:22 am
I use the Zone Alarm Suite.

Mensajes Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 3:37 am
The best and the lightest Virus protection is Nod32. Do a search on the internet and you will see why its the best. Some folks argue for Kaspersky and for BitDefender, but Nod32 catches more Viruses in the wild without hogging up your computers defenses. I also suggest getting a good spyware detector like Webroot Spysweeper or Sunbelt Counterspy. However, Nod32 will catch spyware too along with all your nasty viruses.

Mensajes Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 4:58 am
I use AVAST too. The HOME FREE one.

I think it's quite good.

Mensajes Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 9:22 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I must fill in ;) . I don't use antivirus on my laptop VDJ dedicated machine, but if you must, than go for NOD32! It is the best cleaning antivirus today, and it is so low on bugging your machine that you forget that it is there at all! Updates are small also but it is not free. Avoid these 3: Norton, Kaspersky and Zone Alarm. They are PC killers :) !

Mensajes Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 10:03 am

Mensajes Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 12:58 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Well.. this is true, but it is told that updates for v4 won't be at the same time as for PC version. I would wait till v4 is released and the see if it is worth to buy mac computer.

If mac version will have as much support as PC version, i would definitely buy mac book pro in 1 year time.

A great SOFTWARE is worth a great HARDWARE, isn't true? ;)

Mensajes Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 2:03 pm
xeon wrote :
Well.. this is true, but it is told that updates for v4 won't be at the same time as for PC version. I would wait till v4 is released and the see if it is worth to buy mac computer.

I'm not as concerned about frequent updates as I am about using VDJ on a Mac that won't crash on me during a performance/broadcast, or get dog slow because of an antiquated, registry based, bloated, bug-ridden OS [xp sp3 aka "vista" included].

I'll leave that heaping-helping of "fun" to windows users. =P

Besides, frequent updates on windows computers is needed usually because of incompatability issues, in other words, they're "fixes". That's not the case with Mac, because they're not broken and don't "break" to begin with. ;)

I'm sure that any new major features added to VDJ will promptly be added to the Mac version anyway. Numark wouldn't allow the Mac version of VDJ for their Virtual Vinyl to not be up to date with the latest features on the windows version. That would be a customer satisfaction/technical support nightmare for both Atomix and Numark.

Not gonna happen. All the dj's I've seen switch from windows to Mac over the past few years, DEMAND Mac versions of everything now. A major manufacturer like Numark KNOWS that it HAS to provide a Mac version of it's product in order to stay competetive with SSL, Final Scratch, Ms. Pinky, etc.

Numark's not dumb. They see the massive windows to Mac switcher movement going on just as well as I do.

xeon wrote :
If mac version will have as much support as PC version, i would definitely buy mac book pro in 1 year time.

Glad to hear it. Then in one year's time, you'll realize what all the switchers I deal with daily realize within a few hours, if they hadn't already realized it already... they should have switched to Mac years before and saved themselves years of agony. =)

xeon wrote :
A great SOFTWARE is worth a great HARDWARE, isn't true? ;)

Definitely.

VDJ + Mac + reputation on the line = the only way to go!

VDJ + windows + reputation on the line = HELL NO!

Mensajes Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 2:40 pm
@ConQuest, I'm looking forward to your posts that don't keep selling us MACS over Windows, we know your stance, it's not one most of us share, get over it.

Mensajes Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 2:43 pm
Bagpuss wrote :
@ConQuest, I'm looking forward to your posts that don't keep selling us MACS over Windows, we know your stance, it's not one most of us share, get over it.

Just stating the facts. 16 years, never had to re-format a Mac's hard drive, or re-install an OS, or recover from a virus/malware/etc.. Yet I did it daily on windows computers as a network administrator for Xerox.

My initial response to this thread is a valid one. I don't care if you don't know both platforms, I do. I would be doing a disservice by not sharing common knowledge with someone who is looking to avoid these problems and embarrassing situations that come from them.

windows is a computer repair man's/technician's best friend, and a typical end-users nightmare. Modders, etc. are different. If you know how to fix/maintain windows computers, great. Much more upgradeability options. Only for a couple of more months though [quite possible considerably less], when the new upgradeable Intel based Mac towers "Mac Pros" come out.

Macs are for people that want a computer that works reliably for an extended period of time. This is the vast majority of users.

Seems Xeon is aware of the advantages which is why he mentioned that he is open to getting a MacBook Pro next year if VDJ 4 is supported as much on the Mac side as on the windows side.

Guess Xeon's not one of the "most of you" crowd, and probably not that important to this community.

Who's that guy pictured on this website? Just wondering.

Mensajes Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 3:03 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I already have macs at home and run VDJ using BootCamp just to try. Current PC version of VDJ works well (actually very well) on PC laptop. I really don't see the reason for changing to mac because of stability, but because of viruses at first hand. VDJ 3.4 PRO is very stable version, believe me and so it will be v4.

I am going to use mac because of quality of computer itself too and because of easy-to-use operation system, specially with new version of MacOS comming out at the end of this year (yes, before Vista) :)

Mensajes Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 3:08 pm
See you've done it again..are we not in danger of repeating ourselves? lol.

Mensajes Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 3:08 pm
Taking the post back on topic...

F-Secure
Kaspersky
NOD32

These are the three best AV programs, forget about Nortan and McAfee. I recommend Nod32.

Mensajes Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 3:14 pm
51%