Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: New to Djing - need some advice

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi all you Djs out there,

I would like to know what equipment you would suggest i get as a beginner that will work with Virtual DJ , before i buy the full Pro version... also is the price in canadian dollars or american.

And what are the advantages of Pro version.. Please some one help.. i know ppl that are using Virtual DJ and say its amazing but i need a second opinion so please some one help me.

I have a PASSION for music but guidence is always good.

Thanks......

Dj Snooze

Mensajes Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 6:26 am
Hi Djsnooze

It might help if you put a little more information on here. For example, what kind of music do you want to play. Is it for home use, for playing in a club, for mobile djing, parties etc. Particularly do you already use CDs or Vinyl and if not what do you prefer. Do you want to use videos?

VDJ is such a good program for all these ways of working and the people on here have lots of experience and will be only too happy to help you.

Mensajes Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 10:13 am
The advantages to Virtual DJ are as follows:

Firstly, it's used on a laptop, so there's no need for lugging heavy boxes of CDs and equipment all over the place in a van the size of the Royal Albert Hall - you could bring it in a supermarket trolley (you'd obviously need an amp) - the contents of the CDs are stored in the laptop;

With the right software, you could even play videos and karaoke all on the same system - no need to carry dedicated karaoke machines, video recorders and DVD players.

As the songs are in the software, you don't have to hunt around for the CD with a specific song on - chances are, if you're anything like me, you've left it at home;

Also, for precisely the same reason, you won't have your Hillmans (Hillman Hunters = punters) manhandling your precious CD collection with lager-stained or prawn cocktail-stained fingers (after a buffet).

The only disadvantages are:

In this country, you'll need a licence to DJ with a laptop (I have one);

Also, the songs can take a while to put in the computer - you may need to use every spare minute of the day to do this - no constant interruptions.

Mensajes Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 11:26 am
Thanks for getting back to me on this one...

So basically for now i just wanna practice before i go play at clubs, house parties etc..

I like mostly HipHop, RnB, Trance, Dance , Hard House, and allot more BUT no heavy metal screaming into the microphone kinda stuff.

So i know i will need and amp and speakers and a 2 channel mixer at least to begin with. Where would I obtain a liecence to DJ with a laptop (i am in calgary alberta) would i need one for there ?

I have about 1 terrabyte of mp3s on my ftp server at home.. and a nice laptop with an external drive. so yeah no more lugging cds around is a good thing.

Also which version should i purchase (just the home version ?) and how much would it be in Canadian Dollars ?

P.S this DJ forum for Virtual DJ is the most friendliest and helpful forum i have been on... Thank you all SO much

DJ SnooZe

Mensajes Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 7:03 pm
Hi DJSnooze

First of all, I think you are very sensible for thinking of getting a mixer.

If I were you I would buy VDJ professional and a secondhand mixer off Ebay or even a new one , your choice depending on your budget. You will also need a soundcard which can be connected between your computer and the mixer. A lot of people use the Maya44 USB or the U46DJ. You could then practice using headphones and also through your own home stereo if you want. Don't know where you are, so I can't advixe you on prices.

I would really recommend you buy VDJ quickly because there is a fantastic online offer at the moment and you will get a free upgrade to Version 4 when it comes out. A great deal.

The next stage will be to fix yourself with a sound system, but that can wait until you want to play out. There's plenty of help on here to help you decide on equipment.

Good luck ;-)

A

Mensajes Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 9:59 pm
Hey asymptote,

thanks for the advice.. so here is my plan but first i have one more question

1. The internet offer which states 124 Euro is that VDJ Pro ?

Now for the plan.

Here is what i am getting if this makes sense.

1. VDJ Pro
2. Laptop - Amd 64 athlon 3.00 ghx 1 gig ram 80 gig drive
3. Mixer - Don't know which is a good one to buy that will work with VDJ (please advise) not to expensive but not to cheap something that does the job.
4. Speakers... Well i have a kick A$$ stero at home which i will use for now until i am used to the software..

I plan on taking baby steps.. and getting LOTS of practice. I was over at my buddies place using his VDJ Pro and OMG it ROCKS he has a sweet setup wouldn't let me take pics for the forum LOL said i would kill his layout..

Anymore advice you can give to me as a begginer DJ?

Thanks for all your help once again..

P.S i am in Canada , Calgary Alberta (originally from South Africa)

Thanks

Dj Snooze--Moderated by Lady Cameron<i>Automatic Level 1: MSN or ICQ detected</i>

Mensajes Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 4:58 am
bedaddjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
hi i am a new user to virtual dj. i am trying to remix songs using other songs beats. how can i remove the beat from the voice without distorting it. and how do i remove the vocal from a song without hearing any backround music. i tryed some plug ins but they either distort the vocal or have high vocal and low beat.also i am using a laptop which is ok for mixing but when i play in a crowd what do i need to be able to listen to one track while one is playing to the crowd . any help will be great. plus i made a few mixes and i uploaded them to my space if you guys want to listen and tell me what you guys think. www.myspace.com/dj383 thanks alot

Mensajes Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 8:07 am
@djsnooze

Hi again.

Yes, the Web version at the special price is the full professional version and is a real bargain at the moment. That's your first buy whilst the internet offer is on there and also get V4 when it comes out free. I'd be quick, just in case the offer goes away. Never know.

Laptop sounds great.

As far as mixers are concerned, people have different ideas as to what is good. I'm presuming that you won't be doing much scratching at this stage. You could just go for a simple two channel mixer by Numark or similar company. I've used them and they aren't top of the range but they work. If you bought a good secondhand one you can always ebay it and get your money back but watch out for duff faders. Alternatively, if you want a guarantee, there are lots to choose from new and they last for years. In UK they are around £38 - £50. Behringer, Numark, Stanton, Gemini.

Look out for the ability to cut bass or treble so that you can add a bit more style to your mixes. I'd look for a 3 band EQ if possible and replacable fader because some of the cheaper ones wear out a bit quick. Theres a UK site called http://www.djstore.co.uk that has got quite a lot of reviews on so you can check out what people think about individual mixers.

When you spot a mixer you like, ask people on here for their views, There's bound to be some guys who have that one and can tell you what they think.

Another way of looking at it is to buy a better quality mixer now and then not have to upgrade later. The Numark DXM06 looks pretty good for a mid range mixer (not so good for scratching). The choice is up to you.

Don't forget you are going to need a soundcard too because you will need to set VDJ up to send the sound to 2 separate channels on your mixer. Some mixers have built in soundcards like the Numark DXM01, but for quality IMO I would get a separate soundcard.

So

Step 1 Buy VDJ online and have it today. As a registered professional user you will have lots of help and support on here.

Step 2 Enjoy playing great music.

Step 3 Buy Soundcard (U46DJ a good choice http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=60) and Mixer (Your call) when you are ready.

Step 4 enjoy playing even better music - You'll have years of good times DJing.

A

Mensajes Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 10:53 am
moramaxPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I'm using virtual dj for my job and i confirm that it's a good investment for the future.....
in the last year i used other kind of software but with virtual dj i solved reliability problem...
Virtual dj is rock stable!! no crash no skip...in the live performance this points are vital
For people tha want start to be a dj i suggest to buy on line the Virtual dj pro..with a medium lap-top and an hercules dj console you have a low cost complete dj consolle!!

Mensajes Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 3:21 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)