Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Newbie Questions

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hello,
I just got a demo of virtual dj and was wondering about some things.

The first question is about beat matching. I searched a lot about it and got to know how to practice it. But I was wondering what would happen if you kept the beat matching going and all of a sudden, the last song on your track becomes so fast/slow it's noticeable?
Like I heard beatmatching is where you modify the pitch, which changes the speed of the song and you nudge until it sounds right. If I went through about twenty songs doing this, wouldn't the 20th song sound too fast? Is my concept of beatmatching wrong?

The second question is about the TK filter. I googled it and searched on this site but nothing really told me what exactly it is. Can anyone tell me what TK stands for?

Thanks!

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 8:50 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi,

your concept of beatmatching is good, but it's also possible to adjust the pitch of the playing song (slowly, in small steps), and you can also pitch it down ;) So the point is to mix songs that are of similar bpm's (beats per minute, or speed if you will), so that pitch change is less noticable. Usually gigs (Dj sets) start with slower bpm, and than progressively push up the tempo by choosing the right songs and pitching them up correctly to match. Than at some point they throw a slower song again and repeat the process to calm a party a bit or whatever the crowd's need is at the moment ;)

I don't know what TK stands for, could be a French short term for something or a name.

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 9:10 am
Ah ok. So all I have to do is either unnoticeably, slowly lower the pitch if I feel it's too fast and try to make the best of the situation.

Hmm..wonder what TK is though :P

Thanks again!

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 1:02 pm
Could be Totally KOOL :P

Regards.

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 1:12 pm
:P

Oh and a follow-up question:

Dj-in-norway mentioned:

- Always play two slows. After the first not everybody has the girl/the boy he/she wants. After a slow, kick in a beat again. No point in messing around with a 'good' build-up. Some (lonely) people are waiting to dance, and the people slowing will leave the floor anyway when you switch to a non-slow.

So how do I suddenly beatmatch a slow in or beatmatch back from a slow? :S

Thanks again!

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 3:10 pm
Guess thats from my guide;) hehe..

That tip is meant if you play at a place that slow songs in the end are welcome (not all places want that).

And you DO NOT beatmatch slow songs.... just fade out / in.

:)

And it all depends on where you are. Most places would not want any slows before the very end of the night.

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 3:52 pm
ohhh :D
That clears up a lot of things. Thanks!

I have just one more question (sorry)!
I listen to some remixes and sometimes the tunes are looped very fast to make a cool effect. Like a measure of two beats may be looped to make eight continuous ones and so on.

I was always surprised how those people got away with making the loop and not playing the original tune again. Like if you loop something, you play it, cut it off at a certain point and go back. So if you loop it once, then you're going to have to play the original tune again, right? Just because something was looped doesn't mean it gets skipped.

And in remixes, I hear the fast, looped tune, and it sounds like it used the cut effect because after the rapid continuation of the loop sound, I don't hear anything. It seems like it's looping without adhering to the timeline, and works like the cut effect, but when I hear it, I'm pretty sure the tune was looped.

Do you know what I'm talking about? :P It's hard for me to explain. Anyways, I'm still experimenting so maybe I'll find out someday.

Thanks for the responses!

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 4:11 pm
Usually remixes are made with production software (Cubase SX, Sonar, Reason, Fruity Loops, etc.), which means programmed sequencing, not live sampling & looping. Otherwise it's still possible to do it on the fly, but than you are very limited to number of sound sources to use at the same time, which all need to be beatmatched, gainmatched, manipulated correctly, etc. Lots of work for a 'normal' DJ set. There are also softwares that can be used for live music production (live-act), such as Ableton live, but that's a bit complex for a starter :)

So, I can tell you that you can create a similar loop effect by using a VirtualDj's plug-in called BeatGrid, which samples and replays the certain part in a current 4 beat-range over the original source, meaning the song passes forward while you are manipulating that particular part. But I believe that plug-in is not available in demo version.

Any more questions, just ask, that is the purpose of forum ;)

Regards.

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 8:20 pm
Ahh! Ok. So I see these videos on the web of dj's giving performances and I'm wondering to myself, wow they can get everything done so quickly and so perfectly. So would I be right if I were to say that what a dj does consists mostly of just changing the EQ and beatmatching? Like all the loops/cuts/samplers and other effects are used before the performance itself?

Could you explain what dj's do in the performance itself? Do they go about mastering their gear to do the cool effects live or do they just enjoy their pre-made music, be proud and beatmatch?

In a sense, all the hotkeys for the samplers and effects are actually used during production of the remixes, not the performance, yes? I'm guessing this would be much more easy and satisfying.

Thanks!

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 3:14 pm
The basic job of a Dj is to play music, meaning choose songs and mix them. Now how does a Dj do that, it depends on his experience, location, crowd, style of music, equipment and his passion to music. Yes, lots of thing :)

Dj's that work on radios are usually speakers most of the time, and they just choose the songs to keep their audience happy. Bar Djs usually don't have much of a crowd, so they just put up tracks and take a smoke brake untill they have to put up a new one. Basically. Then you have club Djs - they make a party and usually people come to hear their performance, not just listen to the music. This means the choosing of songs must be perfect for the crowd and the event type, timing must be right, if songs are beatmatched, it must be flawless (depends on the style of music), using the effects makes the transitions more smooth (for example filter insted of 3-band EQ), using other effects (delay, flanger, beat juggling, ...) PROPERLY (no overuse) makes the set less monotone and more appealing. Meaning this way you can have most fun & lots of work at the same time. Same goes for mobile Dj's, where the effect use depends on what kind of event you are having (party, wedding, background music, karaoke show, ...).

Ok, I won't cover the live-act thingy because its another field, but I must mention the DMC Djs. Now these guys use only turntables (and mixer of course :P) to make new sounds, beats, even songs. That's a must-see performance act :) See C2C 2005 Team DMC set (6 minute video stream), you can also view other solo gigs here.

So, your primary objective as a Dj is learn to play right music to the right crowd (while learning beatmatching and other basic skills), than you can go to all the effects and additional transitions to make a performance better.

Hope I cleared up few things :P

Regards.

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 4:42 pm
Ah ok. Thanks for the clear up!
The videos are awesome 0_o it's almost like they're playing instruments :P

Mensajes Tue 25 Jul 06 @ 3:14 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)