Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Embarrassing moments: Silence in a gig

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all,

Hope everyone rocked the weekend using vdj. I had the most embarrassing weekend gone and I thought I'd just share it with everyone.

Normally I try to have separate leads for my (amp + laptop + mixer) and (lights). But unfortunately the next available power supply was too far for my lead to reach.

Anyways my whole system was running off a multi-tap power supply/distributor, and during the hype of the night it would overload.... I had the volume full pelt and amp at max. duuur... I ended up using half my light system and 3/4 of the capacity of my amp in order to avoid further silences.

3 silences for the record, approx 30secs each in a 5hr set. School ball/prom....

LESSON LEARNT: make sure the wattage required from all the devices DOES NOT exceed the recommended wattage on your multi-adaptor/distributor!

All in all besides the silences I think it was great.... just sux that you go home thinking it could have been better.

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 10:53 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
also when running all those lights it's a good idea to find an outlet thats on a seperate circuit breaker as most are only rated for 15amps

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 11:14 pm
Hey it could have been worse. It could have been a software crash causing the silence right?

I do find lights suck a HUGE amount of juice though. When I'm creating DMX programs at home, I have to plug my lights into the outlets in the kitchen since they are the only ones that wont trip when I turn the lights on. When I'm at a gig, I always try to put lights and sound and different breakers.

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 11:23 pm
happened to me one night, damn desktop fan sucking all the power tho.. no lights =P

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 11:40 pm
wow thats a pretty strong fan :0

Mensajes Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 11:43 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Try hooking into the same circuit as 4 coke machines sometime.
Had a hell of a time figuring it out, but when 2 of them would start, it pushed it over the limit.

I don't think there is a one of us that doesn't go home thinking something could have been better.
Self critisism is the road to improvement, you will do better next time around.

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 12:41 am
So true Mp3Rick if it doesn't kill you, can only make you stronger

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 12:42 am
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I Rids, I feel ya', I had the power go out on me three times the other night! Most thought it was me but I still blew the roof. I don't think I've rocked a party that hard in quite some time! I mean, I through everything out there... busted out with some Hall & Oates and even some Barry Manilow.

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 4:06 am
The only time i had the power go out was in a private party, some drunken person decided to pull my plug so they could plug in a cell phone charger

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 4:59 am
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
...same thing happened to me- thankfully I was finishing setup when it happened so only a few people were at the party already.

dropped everything, ran across the street, bought as many extension cords as i could find, and pulled power from god only knows where. music on it's own breaker, and only two lights per breaker after that... pain in the ass. but it was worth it lol

at least you learn from your mistakes!

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 6:36 am
Reminds me of the Bad Old Days using Records or unbuffered CD players.
As a Mobile DJ Often when the crowd is rocking to the best tune of the night, the dance floor packed
the record jumps or CD Skips.....Thank god for computer based dj'in
oh yeah I use an UPS on the computer, just in case

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 1:06 pm
I have had all of these happen at one time or the other. I had a regular gig at an old church awhile ago. I was using Carver amps, very light weight, but pulled their voltage right out of the wall. Three amps in a rack, each to a different outlet. The rest of the rack gear to a different outlet. My console to a different outlet. Each light tree had it's own outlet. Needless to say, I had a box with just extension cords. All of this was done after 2 incidents. However, some of my biggest silent moments were due to my error. Packed dance floor, just made a killer mix and bang, dead air. I freeze, look at the amp rack to see what blew. I realize I just picked up the wrong tonearm, I drop it back into the exact groove, and play it off, like I meant it. Now, at that time in my career, I was under the influence of something, but I can't blame it entirely on that. I have done the same thing, and have been clean for 19 years. This time it has been the wrong cd or pc player. I have seen the best do this, and play it off the same way I have. It happens in the excitement of the moment.

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 7:17 pm
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Had a similar problem last night.
Song playing then all of a sudden it starting stuttering, like it was a bad cd.
Then system froze up. Had to turn off power in order to reboot. All this took about
3 min. but it sure seemed a lot longer.
I believe that it was due to Audiograbber also running.

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 7:32 pm
@a-man-and-his-music

There speaks an honest man. some won't own up to being human. I've done just the same sometimes. Funny how you can hit the same groove on the vinyl.

I once shared the stage with an Elvis Impersonator who borrowed my mike and put his backing tracks through my mixer. Unfortunately something went wrong with the mains and it blew my amp and one of the 16" cones on my Peaveys. Thnk it might have been their decibel limiters cos he pushed it so high. Maybe a surge when it came back on.he wasn't a bit like Elvis either.

Another time I let a guitar/vocal duo use my PA in between sets. I told them very carefully not to plug in their guitars unless the gain was down, but just to be sure, I stayed on stage. Just after one of the songs one of them unplugged his guitar and then plugged it in again. Result was bad language from me and two of those expensive Peavey tweeters needed replacing. Around £100.

The moral is - Don't let anyone else use your gear, even if you want the gig, because it might cost you more to repair the stuff than you'll make.

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 7:39 pm
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
"I realize I just picked up the wrong tonearm, I drop it back into the exact groove, and play it off, like I meant it."

LOL!!

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 8:39 pm
@ phillydj: i don't think "Powerful" was the problem with the fan... more "Cheap"

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 9:35 pm
lol, i thought it was like a wind tunnel fan or something, might have well brought a air conditioner

Mensajes Mon 24 Jul 06 @ 10:09 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)