Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Harmonic Keys question

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

OK Well i have one interesting question.

I am mixing track A and track B. Suppose they have same BPM and same KEY, the transition will be perfect. But what if they have same BPM and not a same KEY? :) Yes, i can change key with key shifter, but how do i know in which key the song will shift when i move a pitch +0.4% or -1.3%? In harmonic keys chart there is everything explained, but not that. I am shure that i seen option in Traktor DJ studio when you changing a key, it displays in which key is it, i installed all versions of traktor and i don't see it now. Strange. So, never mind, what is important is how can is how can i calculate that? 6% pitch changes key for 1.00, (song in "E-Flat Minor" becomes "E Minor"), so what will become if i pitch it for 1% or 2% or 3.4% or 4.1%... it will change key to something... but something what? I hope somebody understand what i want to say :)

Mensajes Thu 03 Aug 06 @ 9:16 pm
This is discussed some times before. Please search the forum on Harmonic mixing. Some have requested new features, like storing and displaying the key, like the bpm is displayed in the current version. Others also requested an auto key detection just like the beat analysing.

First we have to wait and see what VDJ 4.0 will bring us. If it is not implemented, in this upcoming version, then it could be requested again in the "new features" forum.
Ewout

Mensajes Thu 03 Aug 06 @ 11:04 pm
It was discussed many times about harmonic mixing, but not about this problem. this is one litlle part and conrete question if you know what I mean.

Mensajes Fri 04 Aug 06 @ 12:35 am
you can always use master tempo to avoid keychange...
(better MT and key features in VDJ4)

But small pitch adjustments will not change the key of the song.. It will still be harmonic (in key).

The key changes when use the pitch control. 6% pitch increase/disincrease is the same as one halfsteps. (at 0 pitch the key is C and at +6% it is Db).
This may vary, but in theory a pitchshift in one halfstep (semitone) will be a beat difference of about 6% bpm of original tempo. Less pitch variation than 6% is acceptable for "staying in original key".

There are many techniques to mix in harmony. Keep it safe and mix with the tonic key(both songs have exatlly the same key). You can mix from major to minor keys, do not mix baselines going from major to minor( or vice versa) . You can move up and down the scale using modulation mixing. Going from Dmajor to Gbmajor can have a uplifting effect on your dance floor, these kind of mixes works best as drop mixes.

Mixing with the tonic key all the time is boring, use the sub dominant and dominant key to have a nice variation in your sets. Use the harmonic overlay chart to find compatible keys and chords.

Mensajes Fri 04 Aug 06 @ 12:53 am
OK, i'm a little confused, can you use keycodes (10A, 11A, 9B) instead of (Db C-Flat Minor Major) and that, cause it confusing alot :) and i'm not that pro that i know all that keys by my mind :) It's easier for me to learn first by keycodes... If i understand it right it should be this way:

Song 1A ---- +6% pitch ------ Song 8A
Song 2A ---- +6% pitch ------ Song 9A
Song 3A ---- +6% pitch ------ Song 10A
Song 5A ---- +6% pitch ------ Song 1A

And one more thing, keycode B are major keys, and keycode A are minor keys. When i put a songs in MixMeister to detect keycode, all keycodes are in A, no one is in B... Why?

And just one more thing :) : Going from Dmajor to Gbmajor can have a uplifting effect on your dance floor, these kind of mixes works best as drop mixes. -------> Dmajor = 9B, Gbmajor = 10B right?...... and what kind of mixes is "drop mixes"

I know I'm asking so much questions, maybe some of them are silly to you, but i believe not much DJ's know all this, and it could be very useful to know.... of course if it's ok to you :)

Best Regards dj-in-norway

Mensajes Fri 04 Aug 06 @ 1:40 pm
@Pijani Srbin,
the requests made in the past would solve your problem, while a key detector could resolve the key for you, just like the BPM engine is currently doing. If it is also displayed on the user interface like the bpm, then changing the pich would make the key change (if the pitch adjustment is large enough).

Drop mix: You dont mix the beats, vocals or strings, but you just drop it in -> playing deck A, cue up deck B to the proper point, set the crossfader in the middle, start deck B and crossfade (fast) to deck B.

Im sorry, but I could not answer most of your other questions.

Ewout

Mensajes Fri 04 Aug 06 @ 7:02 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)