Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Help buying ATI video card - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Title should read "help buying ATI Video Card" Sorry.....

OK. I am ready to try to upgrade my video card again. I tried about nine months back with NVIDIA and had all sorts of issues and went back to my el cheapo PCI based ATI Radeon card. It works, music plays but waveform is choppy and program, although uses very little system resources, hesitates now and then. I have to be very basic with it. Well, I have only a 2 space rack system: Specs are:

Motherboard Manufacturer:ATI MSI
BIOS Version:RS480 - 42302e31 Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG, 03/0
Chipset:ATI MSI - RS480/RX480 Chipset Based
Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial
Athalon AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ 1.8 GHz
Memory 2 GIG
Monitor: DiamondPoint V71LCD Mitsubishi Monitor
Windows XP: 5.1 (Build 2600)
400 watt power supply.

Can someone reccomend a good one space PCI-E ATI video card. I don't want to try NVIDIA again. I kept getting system freezes and returned four different 6600GT cards to Newegg. I want to see maybe if I stay with ATI it will be more compatible with my system. Nothing too too powerful, I am not scratching videos. I just want the program to run better on my system. One space only.

Thanks for the advice...

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 4:57 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
you say u have a 2u server? will the card be mounted sideways or upright? x1600 on up are good cards but I havent seen on in low profile form, so unless u have a pci-e riser and are mounting the card sideways it will be a tough choice

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 5:02 pm
Sideways. I currently have my card running on PCI only with one 3 slot converter but purchased a 3 slot converter with on PCI-e slot to attach to my un-used PCI-E slot on the board. I have my delta soundcard in one. With the PCI-E slot on the top I will only have room for the one slot and would rather not push my power supply, aothough I thin k I should be fine.

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 5:30 pm
cool, any x series should be fine for you but I prefer a mid - high end

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 5:40 pm
You can check my blog for pictures of the system. I have yet to install the PCI-E adaptor yet. As you can see I am just running the PCI slot for my video.

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 5:40 pm
cool , whats the depth on the case? i have a 13.9" depth on my 2u server case.
by the way you did change the mobo right? i only see a agp slot on that one

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 5:43 pm

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 5:47 pm
As your limited to a 1 card space , get the lower price one, beside your not using your dj machine to play games on, but i have to ask again it that motherboard in the pic is not the one you will be using right?

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 5:50 pm
Now if your looking for something with 256mb of ram at a decent price try a x700pro, the x800 however does have a 256bit memory interface

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 5:53 pm
Yes, I will be using that motherboard. There is a PCI-E slot in there. I will be replacing the riser card which is 3 units PCI to one that is 2 units PCI and the top unit a PCI-E riser. Again, thank you for all of the help...

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 7:36 pm
your right, I looked it up, just thought it looked like a brown agp slot untill I saw the closeup picture
Good Luck!!

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 7:49 pm
SO now I see this:

Same as I have now, less memory, just hopefully more power. The memory clock is at 700mhz and core at 392 (I am on a 256 card but a PCI slot, not much will work well there) Is this sufficient to get the most out of the software? I do run karaoke shows also...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102560

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 7:50 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 8:57 pm
I am liking the X1800GTO but it is very power hungry... X1800GTO.. I think that is the issue I had before with a 400 watt power supply I would have issues. Is there a 128MB. I want the clock speed above 800.

As for the X1900GT, reviews say it runs very hot.

Maybe one step below the X1800GTO. I am looking but do not see the model muber if there even is one.

AND THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THIS HELP!!!!!!!!! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!. I am determined to get this sytem to work to it's full capabilities this time as I have a couple of weeks off.

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 9:36 pm
I think the x1600 series is one step below the x1800 series, I have never heard of x1700

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 10:11 pm
I am trying this one.

SAPPHIRE 100156L Radeon X1600PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Overclocked Edition CrossFire Ready Video Card - Retail

Mensajes Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 1:41 am
Hey you can't have that , that's what I have lol , it's a good card, you shouldn't have any problems with it

Mensajes Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 2:01 am
lol :)

Guys thanks again for the help and wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mensajes Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 3:51 am
Good Luck, We'll be here somewhere

Mensajes Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 4:05 am
Hi. Just installed the card. Definate improvement in the performace of the computer. Still have to keep it on second to last performace. Playing around with videos though for about twenty minutes made the card crap out. Program froze, Black screen, music continued. I then reset the entire computer. All back up. I used the original driver. I sometimes get scared to update them becuase there is more headaches. What driver version are you using and have you done the updates?

Mensajes Sat 23 Sep 06 @ 4:30 am
87%