Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Looking to get a new laptop...any suggestions???

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I currently have a dell notebook P4 3.0 GHZ....

I am looking at a sony Vaio notebook intel centrino Duo 1.83Ghz...

I was told that pentium 4 chips are had to find in laptops now because they get too hot....

Will I be upgrading by going to the Sony or downgrading? The guy at the store told me its an upgrade because I am getting 2 1.83 processors in one system....is that how the dual core works?

And it comes with one gig.....should I upgrade to 2 gigs?

I have used 2 gigs in the past on my dell....but I never knew if that was overkill or not....

I'm really looking for a system that can handle everything 4.0 can throw at it...do u think this is the system to go with or does anyone have any suggestions?

I really liked my dell...I have never had any crashes on it...but I'm still using 3.1 .....I figured if it's not broke...why try and fix it...

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 4:37 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hey

Having 2 cores does NOT double your performance, however, it does help a lot when multitasking. This means you can browse songs and search in Explorer without impacting the performace of VDJ. "Apparently" VDJ 4 is multi-threaded: This means that it can send requests to BOTH the cores whereas the majory of other applications can only address 1 core. If this is the case (I don't have dual core so I dont know) then VDJ's video performance and track loading will be greatly increased.

The Centrino technology outperformed the P4's even up until 2 years ago, with 2Ghz Centrino's beating the socks off even the P4 Extreme Edition. So dont think that even with 1 core at 1.8Ghz that it's going to be any slower that the 3Ghz P4.

The Pentium 4 was a waste of time by Intel, so that is why they have canned the project, and now they have re-developed Centrino's that currently hold the leading performace in their Core and Core 2 projects.

The Core technology is even better than the Centrino, and the Centrino's are now being phased out, so I would suggest that you try find a laptop with this new architecture.

1Gb ram is plenty for you as long as you dont use many other applications while you are using VDJ. If you are going to have a couple open at the SAME time then it wouldn't hurt to get 2Gb.

You main concern is your video card if you are going to be using video, but also helps a lot generally (with the wave bar ect). You must try get a video card that is separate to the CPU, meaning it has DEDICATED ram (doesn't feed off main ram). This inludes cards such as the Nvidia cards (Geforce Go 6600, 6800, 7600, 7800) and ATI cards (Radeon x600, x700, x800, x1600, x1700, x1800).

Have a look at this link for a better VAIO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834117290
Although in the specs it says "Centrino Duo Mobile Technology", it is still branded under the new Core name. (This might be the same alptop you were told about, but the guy who told you the specs might just be confused)

Have you tried using V4 on your Dell?

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 5:07 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 5:27 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I would suggest you Toshiba laptop. I just get new M100-180

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 6:22 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
the duo core will basicly give you another 30% on top of the normal processor speed, so not quite doubled and a duo core 2 will give you about 40% faster( but for another $150 etc. 10% seems hardly worth it) ---duo core processors are flipping expensive---i went with a regular duo core. the duo core only is used when needed, so if your VDJ'n you can count on it being used, if your typing an email to your girlfriend then no. MY new Dell e1505 run vdj nicely and vids too. The best part was it was not priced too high i would have to make my wife get a 2nd job :)

and a video card the ATI x1400 runs great!

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 8:21 pm
Here the system specs....it looks like it has video memory shared...

Sony VAIO Notebook with Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology - White
Model: VGN-FE770G

Enjoy video chat via Web cam and wireless connectivity at Wi-Fi hotspots with this notebook that features Intel® Centrino® Duo mobile technology with the energy-efficient Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor for enhanced capabilities when working on the go.

* See how XBRITE technology affects picture quality! (Flash demo)
* What is the Intel processor number? Learn more about this 3-digit number with our Resource Guide, or check out Intel's introduction for all the details.

* Intel® Centrino® Duo mobile technology with interrelated Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor T5600, Intel® 945GM chipset, Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection (802.11a/b/g) and extended battery life capability
* 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB; 667MHz frontside bus, 2MB L2 cache and 1.83GHz processor speed
* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media

More Options

* Protect your investment with a Service Plan.
* Do you have all the accessories you need?
* Compare with products in this price range.

Service Plan

Protect Your Investment

Product Features

The next-generation Intel® Core™2 Duo processor is based on the innovative Intel® Core™ microarchitecture, so it runs faster and is more energy-efficient for cooler, quieter operation

15.4" WXGA LCD widescreen display with XBRITE-ECO technology and 1280 x 800 resolution

120GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with up to 128MB dynamically shared video memory; S-video output; VGA-out with Smart Display Sensor

Built-in Web camera with microphone makes it easy to chat with and send video mail to family and friends

i.LINK (IEEE 1394) port and 3 plug-and-play USB 2.0 ports for digital data transfer and mobile digital imaging capabilities; Memory Stick media slot

5-in-1 memory card adapter supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Secure Digital, xD-Picture Card and MultiMediaCard

Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX Fast Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; V.92/V.90 high-speed data/fax modem

Weighs 6.2 lbs. and measures 1.4" thin for portable power; lithium-ion battery and AC adapter

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2 operating system preinstalled; software package included with Sony Click to DVD, SonicStage Mastering Studio, VAIO Media and more

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium Ready — learn more

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited

Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year limited

Product Height 1.4"

Product Width 14.4"

Product Weight 6.2 lbs.

Product Depth 10.8"

Processor Brand Intel® Core(TM)2 Duo Mobile

Processor Speed 1.83GHz

Display Type WXGA widescreen LCD with XBRITE-ECO technology (1280 x 800)

Screen Size 15.4"

System Bus 533MHz

Cache Memory 2MB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM) 1GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 2GB

Type of Memory (RAM) PC2-4200 DDR2

Hard Drive Type Serial ATA (5400 rpm)

Hard Drive Size 120GB

Optical Drive Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW

Optical Drive Speeds 4x DVD+R DL; 4x DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW; 24x16x24 CD-RW

LightScribe Compatibility No

Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader

Diskette Drive No

Graphics Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Video Memory Up to 128MB (dynamically shared)

Personal Video Recorder (PVR) No

TV Tuner No

MPEG Yes

Modem 56 Kbps* ITU V.90/V.92 *Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.

Networking Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX Fast Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Networking Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection (802.11a/b/g)

S-Video Outputs 1

Audio Sony Sound Reality

PCMCIA Slots 1 Type I/Type II; 1 ExpressCard/34

USB 2.0 Ports 3

IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports 1

Parallel Ports None

Serial Ports None

Game Ports None

Notebook Weight Standard (more than 6 lbs.)

Battery Type Lithium-ion

Pointing Device Electrostatic touchpad

Operating System Windows XP Media Center 2005

Included Software Sony Click to DVD, DVgate Plus, SonicStage Mastering Studio, SonicStage, VAIO Media, Image Converter; Microsoft Works 8.5; Quicken 2006 New User Edition; InterVideo WinDVD; Roxio DigitalMedia SE and more

Included Accessories Memory card adapter

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 11:33 pm
vidanesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Without giving you so many details about the specs and just as a user, I strongly recommend you the VAIO laptops with the 1.83 Dual Core. I own a FE-21S and it works flawlessly with VDJ. I played around with the VDJ 4.0 settings and in some cases it had those 'rice crispies' sounds a lot of people are talking about but finally got around it and it is now perfect. So my suggestion is GO FOR IT! :-P

Mensajes Thu 21 Sep 06 @ 3:52 am
OK I just bought this system....my friend bought one from this company ad its been working out well for gaming...so i figured it should be good for VDJ...

If anyone wants to take a look and let em knwo what you think i would appreciate it...

Xplorer X5-4800 Notebook
NTBKX54800, www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/NTBKX54800.asp?v=d

* *BASE_PRICE: [+1119]
* ADAPTER: Universal AC-DC Adapter
* BATTERY: Li-Ion Battery Pack 2000mAH
* BAGS: Free Deluxe Carrying Bag
* CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Mobile T5600 Dual-Core Processor @ 1.83GHz 667FSB 2MB L2 Cache EM64T
* CD: 8X DVD REWRITABLE DRIVE
* FLASHMEDIA: Built-In 4in1 Media Reader
* HDD: 100GB 7200RPM SATA150 HARD DRIVE [+138]
* INVERTER: NONE
* IEEE_CARD: BUILT-IN 1394 IEEE FIREWIRE PORT
* KEYBOARD: BUILT-IN KEYBOARD
* MOUSE: BUILT-IN TOUCHPAD
* MOTHERBOARD: Intel 945PM + ICH7M Chipset Mainboard
* MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 DDR2-667 SODIMM Memory [+233] (Corsair Value Select)
* MODEM: BUILT-IN 56K V.92 FAX MODEM
* NB_TRAVELKIT: NONE
* NB_HEADSET: NONE
* NOTEBOOK: X5 P53 Notebook 15.4" WXGA 16:10 1280x800 Pixels w/ Wireless 802.11g, Li-ion 6 Cell Battery, Universal AC Adapter, Carrying Case
* NOTEBOOK_COVER: Xplorer X5 P53 Notebook Cover (Silver - Chrome Mirror Reflection Finish (Recommended))
* NB_LCD: 15.4" WXGA TFT LCD Display Max: 1280x800 Pixels
* NETWORK: BUILT-IN 10/100 NETWORK CARD
* PRINTER: None
* PRINTER_CABLE: None
* RUSH: RUSH!!! READY TO SHIP IN 5 BUSINESS DAYS [+49]
* SOUND: CREATIVE AUDIGY 2 ZS NB PCMCIA CARD [+99]
* SPEAKERS: BUILT-IN STEREO SPEAKERS SYSTEM
* SERVICE: STANDARD 1-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY AND 24/7 LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
* TVRC: None
* UPS: None
* USB: 3 x USB2.0 PORT CONNECTORS
* USBHD: NONE
* VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
* VIDEO: Mobile NVIDIA GeForce GO 7600 256MB PCI-E Video
* WNC: Intel Pro/Wireless 3945A/B/G 802.11a/b/g 54Mbps MiniPCI Card
* WAP: NONE
* _PRICE: (+1638)
* _view_: detail

Mensajes Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 6:19 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)