Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: D Vinyl experiences - Page: 2

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Ok, thanks to all,
I also have some info to share about the d-vinyl controller.
I asked Soundgraph about the phono inputs and how to use
it as a "recording" soundcard, and i got this very interesting
response :
"Dear George,
Actually, our D-Vinyl2020 soundcard could be worked like the ASIO drived soundcard, but it doesnot support the PHONO IN, I mean our H/W does not have a PHONO amplifier. It only supports the 2 Line IN/4Line OUT. The Phono input
is not routed to the soundcard, but it connected the data line of the USB,our S/W received these data from the PHONO IN and uses it as an index of the rotational speed and direction"

So there is some kind of audio to usb interface built in !!!
plus a 2in / 4out asio soundcard... amazing. !

Ewout, for the Shure M44's, i can't see a difference if they
are designed for hip-hop, because as far i know they also
sounds good, but maybe you know better.

Proto, so there is no delay in the pitch control ?
Is this fixed from the setup ?

Mensajes Mon 19 Jul 04 @ 4:07 pm
ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The delay is much smaller now, but I wouldnt call it without delay. The main problem still is though that VDJ still interperts all chages as changes in the BPM.

What happens is that when you are beat mixing the display of the beats all get weird. This doesnt matter to the music, but if you, like me, depend a bit on the display for perfect matching then you are prone to make errors because the display is fucked up.

Add to that the fact that BPM isn't always reset to the previous BPM after manipulating the record. It differs quite often 0.2 BPM from the previous setting. What makes it worse is that this does seem to influence the music. So suddenly your perfect match is going a little too slow or too fast. Off course this can be corrected with a spin of the wheel but then you have the risk again that it is off another 0.2 BPM and you end up in the same situation.

I don't know whether Dvinyl is sending the wrong data, or that VDJ interperts it wrongly, or even that my Techics are not set up right (although I did take every precaution). The way to solve this, is to be able to lock the BPM and to go to movement only mode which I have requested elsewhere.

Very important though: Dvinyl as mp3 controller is perfect. As vinyl controller it is almost perfect. It is down to some weird quirks which hopefully are solved in some future version. If I look at my improvement (which is staggering!), I am sure I mix perfect with Dvinyl in a few weeks.

I am currently using the following way to mix:

1. set volume (I prefer to set it by hand)
2. set pitch 0.2 BPM above target (guessing it will drop after I slow the wheel)
3. Loop 32 the first beats.
4. Match beats
5. Wait and see if record is too slow/fast
6. Set pitch more precisely (really small movements)
7. Repeat till perfect then keep it playing looped till the spot you want to mix it.
8. Unloop and mix.

With the mp3 controller I just set the cue point and started the song whenever I wanted it to start, knowing I could match the beat & pitch perfect in a few seconds. Now I just keep the record playing to make sure no little deviation happens after a restart which happens too often. I had an opportunity to watch Erick E and Roog (famous Dutch DJ's) up close and I noticed that they did the same with CDs so I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Mensajes Mon 19 Jul 04 @ 6:12 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
You mean the Virtual dj display ? The waveforms ?
I also look at these every time i mix.
And many times i see an offset. I mean i hear the beats
matching perfectly, but they are not ok in the waveforms.
And when i try to correct from what i see in the monitor then i hear it wrong. It happens on some songs only.
And i'm using the dj console version, and not D-vinyl
(but i believe it's the same algorithm as the full vdj ver)

Mensajes Mon 19 Jul 04 @ 9:47 pm
It's not that. I know the display is sometimes off, but I listen to the beats and if they fit perfectly I don't care what the display reads.

This is differently. What happens in the display is this: let's say a song is a bit too early with it's beat (BPM is right). So you slow the turntable a little bit. VDJ shifts the display of the song a bit to the right.

So far so good. But because you slowed the record down, VDJ calculates a new BMP. This is lower than the right BPM, so VDJ displays the new wave lenght. There is more space between the beats now so while the display looks like a match, it doesnt sound like it.

Then after you stopped slowing it down, VDJ adjusts the BPM again (back to the right pitch), and adjusts the display again. This time smaller space between beats. Now the display is suddenly off.

The problem is that with each new BPM calculation the display jumps from around. It's no problem that the display if off, but here it actually moves weirdly.

Again, you can work with it. It is more an annoying quirck than a real problem.

Mensajes Tue 20 Jul 04 @ 6:29 am
StylesQPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Heya Superstorm...
can you tell us how much you paid for the D-vinyl controller and where u ordered it from?

Also have you tried it with the time coded vinyl yet?

Thanks, good post

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 4:02 am
Styles
I ordered mine at Thomann webstore (www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/) it costed about €510 including taxes and delivery costs.
I haven't tried the time code vinyls from VDJ while they are just released. I will order 3 or 4 this week.
If you like a 19" remote (like I do) then the Soundgraph is agood solution. If you like table top controllers more then go for the XP10, which is also just released.
Anyone already have a review of the XP10?
If you have any other question please ask
Ewout

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 9:34 am
I didnt notice any difference with VDJ 2.01 with respect to Dvinyl. Anyone else notice anything?

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 4:17 pm
Proto
the change log, doesn't say anything of improvements or changes in the d-vinyl support, so I think nothing happened in this version.
The only advantage should be the the improved Asio support. I tested version 2.01 last night with the Soundgraph controller and it worked ok, like it did in 2.0
Ewout

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 7:06 pm
Yeah I know, I just was hoping that they sneaked in a improvement in handling the Dvinyl data.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 7:56 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)