Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Time coded vinyl

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Sounds absolutely great. Good to see more work on this front. I already ordered mine.

Just a quick question: My guess is that for 2 turntables you need two line-in for a laptop, right? Anyone know a good soundcard for this?

Mensajes Mon 26 Jul 04 @ 7:53 am
VJ_EchoPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have the Hercules DJ Console, and was thinking use the one line in on the console and the other line in on the laptop (laptop has mic in but no line in) would this work?

Mensajes Mon 26 Jul 04 @ 3:26 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Maybe try the Muse Pocket (Hercules) 5.1. It's cheap (about 50 euro). I know someone who uses it to mix with big speakers and is happy with this soundcard.

Clax

Mensajes Mon 26 Jul 04 @ 3:27 pm
Proto: “Just a quick question: My guess is that for 2 turntables you need two line-in for a laptop, right? Anyone know a good soundcard for this?”

Just a quick idea: VDJ Development Team can update the software so that the line-in right stereo channel controls the right VDJ Player (desk), and the line-in left stereo channel controls the left Player (desk). All you would need to do is connect a stereo jack to your computer and plug one phono line from each turntable into the stereo jack. You also could add Y-adapters to the remaining phono lines and plug them into your mixer. This would give you the ability to still play vinyl on your turntables.

Double O

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 4:14 pm
GREAT idea ;)

although, not sure, but think u can play regular vinyl already by dragging "soundcard" in vdj brownser to deck.
That this would play the line-in signal from your soundcard to mixer..

but anyway, great idea, as most soundcards have ONE line-in

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 4:39 pm
Great great great great idea! Gonna post that in the proper forum if it isnt there already!

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 6:58 pm
That should be a good option, while a 5.1 soundcard is really cheap and could be bought at each computer store.
Ewout

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 7:32 pm
Proto,
how much VAT and shipment costs were involved with those vinyls?
I think of ordering 3 or 4 myself
Ewout

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 7:33 pm
the timecode must absolutly be recorded in stereo to work ! also, it's not possible to use a mono input such as Mic In or a Y-splitter with separated control in mono for each desk =(

The best solution is to use an Audiotrack maya 44 USB soundcard ( with 2 line in & 2 line out on RCA connectors)

Best regards, yann

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 8:33 pm
DJ Ze OuF: “the timecode must absolutly be recorded in stereo to work !”

You can use a Y-adapter to connect both phono lines from one turntable into one channel of a stereo jack. In this configuration, the software is receiving all the data through one channel. As innovative as the VDJ Development team is, I’m sure this team can update the software to work in the aforementioned configuration.

dj-in-norway: “although, not sure, but think u can play regular vinyl already by dragging "soundcard" in vdj brownser to deck.”

If this is true, the configuration that I’ve mentioned in this post should allow for vinyl to be played with both phono jacks from two turntables connected directly into a computer. The VDJ Development Team should include a “Bypass” button in a future software update. The "Bypass" button would make it very easy to play music from a turntable or CD player through one of the VDJ players while mixing. The software could still calculate the BPM of a song being played from a turntable or CD player; this would allow you to beatlock and mix mp3’s with the other VDJ player. You could also use real vinyl to scratch with while you are mixing.

Double O

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 9:36 pm
If you use an Y-splitter the 2 separated - left and right signal - is converted to a single mono signal and VDJ can't use a " stereo to mono mixed timecode" such as any other timecode system like Final scratch, d-vinyl or DVS... A timecode system need a 2 channel separated signal =)

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 10:32 pm
Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003
During the development phase of the timecoded vinyl, we began to work on a monophonic signal, in order that one could plug two turntables in one stereo line-in, using a stereo-splitter.
Unfortunately, with a mono signal, even if we got good results, the scratch behavior was not perfect, and could slip or skip a little.
So, even if it would still be amazing to play with at home, such a mono signal would be of no use in a real gig, where you can't allow for any skipping.
Thus, we decided to revert to a stereo signal, and worked on a signal and an algorithm that would provide a 100% no-skip, no-skip behavior. One that one could count on in front of a several thousand people crowd ;)
We do believe that it was more important to have a system that would never fail than one that could be plugged more easily.

About the bypass, here also we had to make a choice.
At the begining we also implemented a bypass feature, where the sound recorded from the vinyl would be re-outputed in the channel when you played a real vinyl.
But there were several problems:
first, adding the input latency and the output latency was a bit noticeable, even in ASIO or WDM mode.
second, if you plugged the direct phono-level signal into the line-in level input, you have to add a huge software gain that will loose some quality. It's ok to detect a timecode, but not to play a song loud.
Third, when you want to switch from the mp3 to a real vinyl, it's a pain in the ass to have to grab your mouse back just to go and click on the bypass button. It's much easier to do this directly on the turntable.
That's why we decided that it would be a better solution to let the users use a Y-Splitter, that would split the turntable output into both the soundcard input and the phono input of the turntable.
This way, the signal in the mixtable has no latency, is at its best quality, and you can switch from phono to mp3 by using the mixtable button that's made for that.
And you can still drag the line-in icon in vdj to see the rhythm display of the vinyl being played.

I hope this answer your questions.

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 10:44 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
so then we do not have to convert the phono signal to a line signal inorder to plug into the line input? this is done by software. what about tables with line output. does the software automatically adjust for this.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 3:38 am
Dev staff, I love you. Absolutely the right decision. Stability comes before everything.

Also thanks for the USB tip. Ordering it already haha.

I paid, I think about 50 euro's to get me 2 timecoded vinyl. I am just so anxious to see if it reall is as great as they claim.

While I am getting better and better with Dvinyl, in my setup (I am still unsure about whether my turntables are setup rightly), it is still a bit unstable. If after a minute or so of sync playing two records, a slight out of sync occurs, compensating for it is still very very risky as the BMP most probably changes with bigger out of sync as the result.

Anyway, VDJ with time coded vinyl should always be for the professional markt first. Thanks guys!

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 7:02 am
A SPECIAL THANKS to Dev staff for the detailed explanation and effort—“we began to work on a monophonic signal, in order that one could plug two turntables in one stereo line-in, using a stereo-splitter. Unfortunately, with a mono signal, even if we got good results, the scratch behavior was not perfect, and could slip or skip a little.”

In closing, DON'T GIVE UP!

Omega One

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 12:24 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)