Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: hercules vs. time coded vinyl, or VirtualDJ XP10

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I'm debating buying the hercules, the time coded vinyl or the Virtual DJ XP10. Which works best with scratching. I'm not a professional DJ but I do want to scratch when i mix hip hop. Will the hercules work fine?
If not which do you recommend. If I wanted to get the other ones (Time Coded Vinyl or the Virtual DJ XP10) would I need to get 2 of them to get started? or would I be able to use only one. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg so I guess if I can scratch well enough on Hercules, that would do.. please give me input so I can get on to scratching. thankx

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 4:46 pm
spindemPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The way I see it. If you have decks and a mixer already try the vinyl as its a lot cheaper.

I have decks (4 intotaly laying around the house!) but i am opting for the xp10 as I think it would suit me better and I just love gadgets!!!!

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 5:04 pm
I can only speak with regards to the Hercules, but if you want to scratch with the feel of say sl1200/1210's dont go with Hercules.
There ok if you just want a chugga chugga chugga type scratch (if you know what i mean) but anything complex then one of the other options must be better.

HTH,

d00d5ter

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 5:10 pm
ok so then hercules wont allow me to do the real scratching is that it?
I dont have turn tables, I'm assuming that i would need to get really good turntables to make it work as it would on the record... say I need to get Technique 1200's or the equivalent correct..
If I get any 2 turntables it wont work?
what about the virutualDJXP10-- will that work well enough for scratching

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 5:26 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
in my opinion...YES

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 5:34 pm
u dont need the best and most expensive turntable around to use timecoded vinyls, and scratch ;)
any turntable that will let u stop and move the vinyl without blowing a fuse will do :)

and XP10 is a crossover controller, that gives a "vinyl feel", in the way that it has a tactical plate on top, that behaves in the same way as vinyl:
- when u touch it, the record stops, and stay stopped for as long as you hold it..
So, XP10 would give u almost the same options and scratch as a real vinyl..

As for Hercules, the scratch there is pretty cool to... You can make any of the scratch you can do by using mouse on waveform in VDJ.
The difference in Hercules is that it DOES NOT have a tactical plate, but is purly a jogwheel... that is, it will not stop the record, and the record stay stopped if you hold the jogwheel...
BUT, the VDJ team have done an awesome job in making Hercules have a great sensitivity, so when u move the jogwheel the song "stops" as long as you move the wheel, and can make some cool scratch sounds... But its not 100% like vinyl...

all in all, its up to how seriously u are about scratching...
if its just for fun, Hercules can be good... if you want a more true vinyl feel, timecodes or XP10 is the solution

it all depends on what u want... and need :)
If its for home practice and fun, Hercules is an all-in-one box with crossfader, eq knobs etc
If its for profesionall club use, they allready have a mixer there for u, and timecode/xp10 are more pro looking and pro feeling

:)

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 5:41 pm
and with the XP10 - i can use only one right.. dont need to get two--
my scratching is more to use with the use of the fader.
nothing big...
its just to go and spend the $$ for the Hercules, are you saying i would be better off using the XP10..
the difference is minimal.
but then how easy is it to use with the crossfader..
would i have to use the XP10 for the playing and then use the x-fader from VDJ to mix or cut?
I want to avoid using shortcuts, mouse and everything that I use now..----on a seperate note.. you mention i dont have to use the best turntables.. what turntables do you suggest I use to get the system to work properly... do you have a brand, make. price or something that could help me make my decision easier

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 6:05 pm
okey...
"i'm not a proffesional dj.." you say, so I guess u are playing with vdj at home..
so, its really a money issue, and if u aspire to be a working dj in the future... (?)

if its only for home use, and u dont want to spend a whole lot of money, Hercules is an all-in-one console (2x jogwheels, for nudge and scratch, dual deck controll, mixer with crossfader, pitch, eq, volume et) that works great with VDJ, and u can actually see the sliders etc move in skin (pretty cool!)
SO, for a start package its good, and very cheap..
BUT, lacks a but of pro feel... its a bit plastic, a bit small, bit "toy-ish", and a bit un-responsive... but hehe, still pretty good and cool

if u got more money to spend, or aspire to be a pro dj, getting a external mixer and xp10/timecode vinyl would be better maybe, as it's closer to what real dj's use at clubs etc (still the practice on Hercules is pretty realistic, I works as a pro dj, but do have some fun practice at home with the console)
But as u say, u dont want to use mouse or keyboard, so u would need an external mixer (crossfader, eq buttons etc) AND either one/two xp10's (can switch between decsk with one) or TWO turntables w/timecode (sorry, not sure about cheap brands, maybe others can help)

its really impossible to give a general advice, as its really up to each user... what do they want, what do they need, what use are they for, how much money etc etc ;)

and how do u see yourself playing around? with 2 turntables, with a cd-deck controller (xp10) or an all-in-one controller? its really up to u ;)

I got a console, and have been very happy with it..
but WORK as a dj, so will get 2x XP10's soon, as these are more pro, and more responsive... and look better (i know, but djs are vain.. image boost is also a factor)

;)

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 7:20 pm
wyworgPRO InfinityMember since 2003
well.. i have the dmc-1 of numark (whit gizmolabs chip) and dac-2 controllers.. and now i buy timecode vinyl and two XP10... i am working in a disco.. i get 100 € by nigth (3 hours).. i work two days in the weekend.. and i work in a office too... i think that is very important "visual dj" and the mp3 controllers or vinyl controllers is a help for the "visual dj".. if you play whit a mouse very much people are thinking "this is not a real dj" but if the people are seeing to you whit a mp3 controller then they are thinking "this is a dj with a very good technology"...

for you get money you must spend money...

DJ FONSI
BLUE MOON (Nijar, Almeria)
SPAIN

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 8:50 pm
thanks to all.. i guess it's not that easy a decision. I guess what really matters to me is not so much how it looks, but the functions it has relative to the price.
If i can do some good scratching on the hercules (even if it doesn't feel like vinyl) will it sound the same if i get used to it?
or will it not.

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 9:13 pm
wyworg...

your absolutely right!..., i agree with what your saying...at the moment my mouse is a big comfort to hold but i want to change that and keep my hand on the crossfader and xp10 jogwheel!....

good point;)

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 9:17 pm
kiteman...
it will sound the same...
but some hard and tricky ones that need the vinyl may not be possible or as good....

but then again, not very many who can even do this on vinyl, so... :)

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 10:00 pm

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 10:11 pm
i dont own a mixer.. i just use vdj and now im on my way to pick up the hercules..
i really hope i can scratch on it well enough...
a bit more than basic... the crossfader it comes with should work well enough...
if not i have to return it and give up a 20% restocking fee...
but i guess that's better than buying it on the internet and having to ship it back..
has anyone out there besides the one who have already responded in the forum been able to scratch pretty well with it..

Mensajes Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 10:39 pm
Tell me, can you use one turntable with timecoded vinyl(Say, have it control the active deck)

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 12:06 pm
hey kiteman..
if you are really really into scratchin, dont get the Hercules.
Sure, u can get fairly good scratch sounds, and find your own ways to compensate for the lack of "vinyl feel"...
BUT, if u really really wanna practise the art of scratching etc, get the XP10 or Timecode...

There is a SIGNIFICANT differense when it comes to more than basic scratching (as u asked for...)

If u are looking to try some beyond basic scratch, u gotta go with a "vinyl" solution...

sorry, did not quite get how much scatch meant for u, before now... :) if thats the important issue here, go for a vinyl/xp10 solution

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 2:08 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)