Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Time coded vinyl 1st impressions - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I got my time coded vinyls just before I had to leave, so I was not able to look at it in depth as you will see, but hey I couldn't wait to let you guys know.

First of all: installation went without a hitch. All soundcards can be configured. You need to set input levels and stuff. I probably have a lot a ground loop here, because I never had my percentage of quality of time code beyond 0%. I had the same problem with FS and if I use my laptop (not here atm) it is solved, so I will try this again sometime early next week. What would be a great help would be some documentation as to how to configure the line-in sound. You see 2 graphcs jumping around but I am clueless as to what they should look etc.

VDJ with time coded vinyl is very sensitive. Maybe this was due to ground loop, but it also seemed very sensitive to the slightest change. This is good because it mixes like a dream which I wil return to shortly, but bad because it might mean that you need a perfect set-up, which might not always be the case in clubs I play.

Final issue that I saw was that it didnt calculate BMP's. So you can set BPM manually then VDJ only reacts to position. This could be a way to lock BPM, I am not sure. Anyway I would prefer to see the MBP calculated as I change the pitch with the turntable.

Now to the good stuff (please mind you that the above might well be due to my short experience with it):

Best of all: It mixes like a dream. Wonderfull control. This is exactly the best ever perfect vinyl control over mp3. It does exactly what I want, when I want it. It is like having at least as perfect control over postion as with a mp3 controller. This is super! Great, great, great job guys.

Comparisions:

FS vs. VDJ time coded vinyl:

FS is as prone to groundloop problems as is VDJ, except that FS simply wont work, where as VDJ works with round singing (if this the English equivalent of "rondzingen"). Qua mixing VDJ beats FS big, big, big time!

VDJ Dvinyl vs VDJ time coded vinyl:

Dvinyl has no problems with groundloop. But Dvinyl handles much worse than time coded vinyl with regard to mixing.

I am going to improve my home set-up early next week and report back. But so far: big thumbs up for time coded vinyl. It might very well be the best vinyl-mp3 solution out there.

If VDJ improves on two issues:

- BPM calculation
- Less problems with ground loop

it will be the best for sure.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 11:27 am
Did you activate the built-in pre-amplifier (RIAA or something) ? The signal of the turntable has to be amplified when you plug it into a line in. This might be why you get 0% level.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 11:37 am
Grrrrr, dumb, dumb me. mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Hahaha, VDJ is even better if you use it wrongly than Final Scratch.

I read this in my office, ran back home to test it. Still 0% music quality, but no more ground loop problems! I love VDJ! Time coded vinyl is brilliant!

You just solved the one major problem I had, now VDJ time coded vinyl is fantastic! Everybody who wants to use VDJ professionally should buy the time coded vinyl immedeatly! I will take time coded vinyl to any club, I am sure that there wont be any problem at all.

Only two very minor points remain:

- BPM calculation
- Needle dropping

And can you explain the difference between relative mode on/off?

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 11:58 am
The length of the time coded vinyl is 12 minutes. In relative mode off, a song that lasts 6 minutes spreads over the first half of the vinyl. So if you drop the needle right to the middle of the vinyl, you get to the end of the song.

In relative mode on, any song would "spread" over the entire surface of the vinyl. So if you drop the needle to the middle of the vinyl, the song is playing from the middle (3 minutes in case of a 6 minute song).

So it's absolute/relative time.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 12:14 pm
this is nice to hear Proto.. look forward to hear more when u try the gain in setup...

"..best ever perfect vinyl control over mp3..."

COOL!!! ;) hope this make VDJ knock the socks of FS ;)

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 1:16 pm
Your Needle dropping problem come from your 0% time code.

Try :

- Invert Phase
- Invert Stereo

And try to adjust the gain or the level.

Your time code must look like this :

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 4:04 pm
Before I order “Virtual Vinyl,” can someone tell me if you can control both VDJ Players (Desk) with one turntable? If so, how is it configured?—I use two sound cards on my system.

OO

b.t.w. Thanks for the important info Dj Morris.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 5:45 pm
I already see the problem. Ground loop problem. My graphs look way worse than this. Thanks for the picture though. That helps a lot. Too bad I can test further only on monday, but then I will take my real equipment without ground loop problems.

Great that it works anyway even with 0% quality. I didnt have time for much testing, but it seemed to work quite well.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 7:03 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Double o I would like to know the answer to that too

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 7:51 pm
Double O, with one turntable, you can control the deck A or B, but not both at the same time (you can, but if you try this, the vinyls control your 2 decks at the same time).

Each time you want to move from one deck to the other, you need to go to the config panel and disable one deck an enable the other. When you disable a deck, it can't stop, it continue to play as before you disable this turntable

Of course, you can pre assign the same line-in to both decks in VDJ

Coyote

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 2:06 am
Although I appreciate your response coyote dj, the method that you’ve mentioned might cause complications while mixing.

OO

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 6:31 am
Cyderhouse, I remember you from the PCDJ forums. It’s good to be reacquainted with someone from another forum. I’ve noticed some other forum members here also. The “VDJ vs FX” thread that DJ Phil It (I think that’s his user name) started in one of the PCDJ forums last year might have influenced many people to give VDJ a try. I still remember picking VDJ over FX in that thread—many others did too….Anyway, it’s good to hear from you.

Omega One

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 6:52 am

great to see another PCDJ user coming over the VDJ site ;)

Have tried PCDJ myself, and there is no doubt in my heart that VDJ was right for me...

It is so much better on so many ways :)

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 1:39 pm
Double O,

Yes its been a long time I was banned from the pcdj board for posting a screen shot of virtual dj :) ops lol. I know I made the right choice too I'm with ya norway...

Anyway, maybe I should post something in the wish list about a switch on the skin that will change the soundcard config so you can quickly bounce back and forth between decks sort of like a single turntable mode option where if selects the "active desk" that is playing for vinyl control. Thoughts?

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 3:58 pm
Cyderhouse,
maybe it is a good option, but for me it is too risky. Switching between decks could cause making a mistake. When I used my keyboard, before I had a controller, this happened to me a couple of times. I forgot to switch the active desk to the other player.
I prefer two players, €15 is not that much. But if you have just 1 turntable, I understand the question
Ewout

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 6:22 pm
Well I only want to carry one turntable to my college shows :)

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 8:21 pm
now as far as scratching is concerned any testing done by the experts? thinking this is the way to go then???
i like hercules but a bit small and well not enough...
thanks

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 8:53 pm
Cyderhouse:

The simplest method that I could come up with is using the Shift key on the keyboard, but there is still the chance of making the mistake that Superstom has mentioned. The only reason that I mentioned this option is because I have only one turntable that’s used to record from vinyl. I also use it to practice scratching with. However, I still think it is a good option for the mobile DJ who does not want to carry around two turntables or two table top CD players.

OO

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 2:41 am
Dj-in-norway: “great to see another PCDJ user coming over the VDJ site ;)
Have tried PCDJ myself, and there is no doubt in my heart that VDJ was right for me...”

It’s good to be reacquainted with another former forum member. I guess my heart led me here too.

OO

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 2:52 am
Make it so! LOL

I don't want to carry two turntables!!! Just make an option to make it select the active deck this could be turned on or off, this solves the probelm too for people with only one line input...everyone's happy.

I don't miss pcdj one bit either :)

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 2:56 am
91%