Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: The Xone 3D (Allen & Heath) Help Zone - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

KilljoyHome userMember since 2004
Aloha team,

Just wanted a thread going where Xone 3d users can request some assistance. I myself have just purchased one of these with the intention of using it as a virtual DJ controller. I have been using the Hercules Controller for the past two years and am about to begin playing clubs in March and needed something more proffessional.

At the current stage VDJ v4.1 does not support this controller. I was wondering what my options are? Has anyone out there already mapped VDJ manually to their Xone3d using the midi mapper. if so could you offer me some advice?

To the VDJ Moderators, I was wondering if there is a plan to integrate support for this unit in future VDJ releases and if so, do you have a ballpark timeframe in which this is planned?

Thanx heaps VDJ, you've done alot for me over the years.

Mensajes Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 3:25 am
You might want to start with registering your copy of VDJ so we know you are using a legal copy..

Mensajes Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 11:52 am
True, you can do it HERE

Mensajes Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 1:19 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
its very easy to mapp it mate

will take you at best 20 minutes

you just need to choose an action for each button

midi mapping

now repeat the process until all the buttons/faders/rotarys you want are mapped

Mensajes Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 1:49 pm
Thanks heaps for that Simon, I did try mapping the controls but I've ran into the same problems that I've noticed previous XONE3d users have whilst manually mapping it this way.

THE JOG WHEELS.
----------------------

Assigning the XONE3d Jogweheels to the relevant function has the following issue. The jog wheels will only go forward, if i spin them backwards it just spins forward in scratch mode if i spin forwards it just goes forward in nudge mode.

This is something a previous user of these forums discovered Thu 22 Jun 06:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/51639/Hardware_Technical_Support/midi_mapping_the_jog_wheels_.html?highlight=xone%203d

In this thread he was directed to see if Allen & Heath had a configuration utility for the Xone that would allow him to tweak it to be compatible w/ Virtual DJ.

Three weeks later in July 06 he posted this:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/52409/Hardware_Technical_Support/FAO_the_development_team.html?highlight=xone%203d

where he asks if if the Xone 3d could please be implemented into a future release of Virtual DJ as the Xone is unable to be finetuned for use with Virtual DJ.

I've since looked to see if Allen & Heath have released software to allow you to modify midi settings of the unit itself since this was posted but sadly the only configuration utility they have released doesn't have any functions pertaining to this.

I have also found this thread where other users discuss the same problem:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/44542/Hardware_Technical_Support/New_Allen___Heath_Xone-3D_Mixer_-_Sound_card.html?highlight=xone%203d

THE CROSSFADER
----------------------

A similar issue here, the crossfader once assigned becomes quite erratic. there are many combinations of settings to play with here, entering different values and physically tweaking the XFADE curve on the XONE3d itself but all produce less than desirable outcomes. I spent a day trying to hone just this and the best I could produce was a crossfader that laggs and is less than responsive but at least will slide all the way from far left to far right. It drops out however and seems to only want to respond to me sliding the Xfader at slower speeds, any kind of fast cuts or slides and VDJ ignores your moves.

That's about as far as I've gotten, the only success so far I've had was mapping play and pause / which works like a peach ^.^ I didn't delve into mapping any further as without a jog wheel or a working crossfader then the XONE3d is pretty much pointless and I'll have to consider putting into storage untill official support is released.

Speaking of which, would anyone know if this is planed for upcoming VDJ releases sometime in the future?

I'll keep trying to post you with as much info as possible regarding the XONE3d as it is such a new piece of hardware that this forum has become the most informative location to get facts about it and hopefully together we can get this baby running.

Daniel.

Mensajes Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 10:24 am
I've just spent the last week trying to accurately map the XONE3d controller to VDJ and sadly have made no shocking breakthroughs although I feel I am closer to better understanding the issues involved.

XFADER & FADERS

I may be slightly off course on this but it seems to me that the faders on the XONE3d have much greater CC values than the maximum allowed cap of 4096 that VDJ currently imposes on midi mapped devices. When mapping the XFADER with the default relative scale setting of 4096 you get an XFADER that suffers from response dropouts and will not make it all the way to the far left. If I double this value to 8192 then I get an XFADER that does make it all the way to both ends and is twice as responsive but no matter how I map it in VDJ I always get the following problem.

The XFADER on the XONE3d needs to physically be way over to the far right of the unit before VDJ will register that I've crossed the half way mark. Let me explain.

if this is my XFADER :

X ---------------------- | ------------------------- Y

then I would have to physically have the "knob (O)" here :

X ---------------------- | ---------------------O-- Y

on the XONE3d before the Fader in VDJ will register that I've crossed the half way mark.

I could be way off course here but that suggests to me that the XONE3d has CC values on the faders in excess of 4096 and closer to the region of 32768, eight times greater than previous controllers. If this were the case then I wonder if simply lifting the cap of 4096 in a future release of VDJ would allow for a XONE3d Fader to be mapped accurately.

Because this unit is so new I get the impression that not many people at all have attempted to map it or study the issues involved and I am by no means any expert but I'll endeavor to give you as much info as I can regarding these issues as to hopefully reach a resolve

THE JOGWHEELS

No change here unfortunately, still the same issue.

Are there any plans to implement the XONE3d as a native controller for VDJ in the near future?

Thank you friends.

Mensajes Sun 21 Jan 07 @ 2:59 am
Hi,

It's a shame that there's not any support for it currently, i guess they havn't provided support because they're so expensive and they figured that not many people would go for them.

They definately look great, might even get one if there's support for it!

I hope you manage to get your problems sorted, but i think you might have to wait for native support or go into the software programming business!

Good Luck :)

Mensajes Sun 21 Jan 07 @ 3:14 am
Killjoy wrote :
I could be way off course here but that suggests to me that the XONE3d has CC values on the faders in excess of 4096 and closer to the region of 32768, eight times greater than previous controllers. If this were the case then I wonder if simply lifting the cap of 4096 in a future release of VDJ would allow for a XONE3d Fader to be mapped accurately.

It sounds like the Xone-3D uses fine/course (LSB/MSB) CC's (14-bit, 16,385 values) rather than course CC's (7-bit, 128 values) that are used on most cheaper MIDI controllers.

I'm not sure whether VDJ's MIDI implementation supports fine/course CC's yet. Have a look in the Xone-3D's manual and see if you can set it to use course CC's (MSB) only.

Mensajes Sun 21 Jan 07 @ 8:34 pm
Just to provide some temporary closure to this thread for all other Xone3d Users or potential Xone3d users, at the current stage VIRTUAL DJ 3.2 does not support the Xone3d and it is unfortunately not mappable via the midi.

I assume VDJ will impliment native control for this unit in the future once it becomes more popular, but hold off on purchasing one till this is announced if u plan to control VDJ with it.

I'll keep checking back from time to time to see if any announcements are made as I miss VDJ all ready :o(

Thanx.

Dan.

Mensajes Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 11:32 pm
why are you using V3

when we are all using v4.2?

Mensajes Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 11:44 pm
whoops, typo.

I meant v4.2 not V3.

^.^

Mensajes Wed 31 Jan 07 @ 4:51 am
Is there anyone that can tell me if Virtual DJ will support the XONE3D in the future?

Mensajes Wed 14 Feb 07 @ 8:51 am
id imagine it would , but ofcourse you would need a licenced copy to use it.

Mensajes Wed 14 Feb 07 @ 12:39 pm
While I understand the need to protect software as far as license keys and such, but why be so annoying when a person asks a question, right away shoot answers like register. Jeez.

anyway, I have Xone 3D too, and again, same problem. I'm going to try to do some MIDI conversion with 3rd party software.

Allen & Heath won't release anything. It works perfectly fine with what it was intended for - Ableton and Traktor. Virtual DJ is too small of a market to do anything about that. I'd be really surprised if A&H releases some configuration utility.

On the other hand, Virtual DJ COULD try including 3D as a controller, especially when 2D is out and I'd think more controllers in the future are going to support fine MIDI CCs.

Mensajes Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 4:28 pm
dami2550 > Have you had any luck using third party configuration software? I am looking into it now, I am looking at a trial version of both OpenMidi Source (OMS) and FreeMidi Source (FMS).

Let me know if you have any breakthroughs and I'll do the same for you.

Thanx friend

www.myspace.com/xakboundary

Mensajes Tue 20 Feb 07 @ 1:32 am
going to tryout tonigh - going o try with Bome's midi translator, at least they have Behringer's product mapped for VDJ, so maybe it'll work, obviously custom mapping.

Will let you know...

Mensajes Tue 20 Feb 07 @ 7:47 pm
Allright,

I've played today with Bome's Midi translator Pro.

First off, Xone 3D DOES return regular MIDI CC's, not fine 14-bit ones.

Here's what I'm getting on one jogwheel in translator:

Incoming MIDI message: CC #16 Portamento Time LSB, 127 (counterclockwise) or 1 (clockwise).
Messages themselves are BF 25 7F (counterclockwise) or BF 25 01 (clockwise)

What's also, faster you turn the wheel, messages increase in value, i.e. if turned clockwise, it can go BF 25 02, 03, up to 1E. Same goes for counterclokwise, goes from 7F to 7D, up to 61.

Now for a kicker, I have Hercules DJ Console MK2. I've hooked up to same Bome's translator, and guess what - it returns very similar messages:
CC #1: Controller 54, 127 (counterclockwise) and 1 (clockwise).
Messages are B0 36 7F (counter) and 01 (clockwise).
The only difference is that values do not change when speeding up, only amount of messages increase.

And, I've tried to map Hercules via MIDI (not enabling it in VDJ as a remote), it does EXACTLY same thing as Xone 3D - if set to absolute scratch, turning counterclockwise it speeds up about 2-3X, and going clockwise it goes 1/2-1/3 the speed.
I've tried to play with relative, but it only goes a little bit front or back, and increasing relative number (default 4096) to something like 9999 it makes it jump, but doesn't do linear speed up or scratch.

For the record, Bome's MIDI translator was off with VDJ, so it wasn't screwing up anything.

So I suspect VDJ doesn't play nice with MIDI rotaries (well, at least these 2, I don't have my DAC-3 to test right now), not the other way around.

VDJ tech support, what now???? I am a licensed user so can't kick me on that :)
Anything you want me to test, I'm available.

Thanks!

Mensajes Wed 21 Feb 07 @ 2:23 am
bump? anyone?

Mensajes Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 6:23 pm
Seriously looking at one of these if i can get it for the right price, I hope you get it sorted mate, sorry that nobody seems to be able to help you! :)

Mensajes Sat 24 Feb 07 @ 3:11 am
I know that support is busy, but a quick note about this, such as "try this or that" or "not going to work, sorry" would be sufficient - I wouldn't hold my breath and just either sell Xone 3D or move completely to Ableton or Traktor.

Mensajes Tue 27 Feb 07 @ 10:47 pm
30%