Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Web Browsers

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Which web browser would you recommend? FireFox, Opera, Internet Explorer, Netscape? -- or is there another?

Which is better?

Mensajes Sun 08 Apr 07 @ 5:48 pm
Definitely Firefox. It is more secure than Internet Explorer and also has tabbed browsing. You will still need Internet Explorer for microsoft updates though.

Mensajes Sun 08 Apr 07 @ 6:31 pm
Recently I have opted for Opera. Why? I have fancied changing my browser and Opera is a very good one too.

Technically, I think that Opera is as great as FireFox. Opera is more customizable and there are lots of widgets or options to personalize it on your own.

Unfortunately, lots of websites don't recognize Opera as an important browser (only IE and FireFox) and you have to have it recognized as FireFox (just an option: clic right/edit site preference).

For example: PC banking (my bank on-line banking) don't work with Opera. More accurately, you have to change "site preferences" and set your browser identification as FireFox and everything work as fine as usual. I wrote to my bank support to ask why there was a glitch and I was replied to follow the step I have described above. That's all.

In short, download it and explore the hundred possibilities to customize it. And forums there are very active and dedicated to help :)

Hope this post may have helped you in your choice :p

Mensajes Sun 08 Apr 07 @ 6:56 pm
As you have understood, stop using IE and support open-source programs :ppp

Mensajes Sun 08 Apr 07 @ 6:57 pm
Thanks guys.... I don't like Internet Explorer anymore. Seems like the more you use, the more pop ups you start getting. I have Norton Internet Security and Pop Up Blocker, but they seem to sneak around those in IE a lot more. NOW when ever I do a search for something in google, there is like a jumper on it and when you click on the website you were looking for it goes to another site other than what you clicked on.

Mensajes Sun 08 Apr 07 @ 7:09 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
every time you try and do somthing in ie7 , WARNING THIS COULD DAMAGE YOUR PC

ie , = checking hotmail

then press continue then what pops up lol ->

are you sure?

press "ok"

then "INFORMATION BAR HAS BLOCKED THIS"

turn that off great now i can finaly check my mail lol

Mensajes Sun 08 Apr 07 @ 8:05 pm
the one feature that opera has that i wish firefox would add is undo. its sucks when u close the wrong tab then u have to search for it again. in opera hit ctrl z & wahla its back.

Mensajes Sun 08 Apr 07 @ 8:56 pm
SpeedDemond29,

Sounds like your browser is being highjacked by spyware. Get a program called spybot (it is free). It will detect and remove most spyware and browser hijacking ware. Firefox guards against most of this type of stuff.

Mensajes Sun 08 Apr 07 @ 9:00 pm
Killabee44 wrote :
SpeedDemond29,

Sounds like your browser is being highjacked by spyware. Get a program called spybot (it is free). It will detect and remove most spyware and browser hijacking ware. Firefox guards against most of this type of stuff.

even if you have a virus scan??--isnt that suppose to protect it from that?

Mensajes Sun 08 Apr 07 @ 10:10 pm
Antivirus and Antispyware are two different things.

There are good freeware solutions : AVG antivirus and AVG antispywares.

You'll be surprised when you discover that hundreds spywares have infected your computer :s

Mensajes Sun 08 Apr 07 @ 10:31 pm
SpeedDemond29 wrote :
Which web browser would you recommend? FireFox, Opera, Internet Explorer, Netscape? -- or is there another?

Which is better?

Why SAFARI of course Speed. http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/safari/

Like Phen said, support Open Source (microsoft hates Open Source, therefore it has to be good AND work properly):
"Safari uses open source software for its web page rendering engine, Safari draws on KHTML and KJS software from the KDE open source project."

Plus it's about to become VERY popular with the release of the iPhone which uses Safari as it's browser.

But if you're talking about for windows, Firefox is cool. =)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Mensajes Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 3:46 am
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
i love Flashpeak's slimbrowser.... tried firefox and in my opinion, slimbrowser is the way to go... i've never doubted it

Mensajes Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 3:46 am
I prefer Firefox, but Opera is the most secure browser out there.

Mensajes Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 3:54 am
funkturnal wrote :
the one feature that opera has that i wish firefox would add is undo. its sucks when u close the wrong tab then u have to search for it again. in opera hit ctrl z & wahla its back.

Firefox does have this feature.
Just right-click on the tabs area and press U ("Undo Close Tab").

Firefox's the best.

Mensajes Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 3:58 am
ConQuest wrote :
SpeedDemond29 wrote :

Which is better?

Why SAFARI of course Speed. http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/safari/

Like Phen said, support Open Source (microsoft hates Open Source, therefore it has to be good AND work properly):
"Safari uses open source software for its web page rendering engine, Safari draws on KHTML and KJS software from the KDE open source project."

Plus it's about to become VERY popular with the release of the iPhone which uses Safari as it's browser.

But if you're talking about for windows, Firefox is cool. =)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Lol Thanks Quest ... I use Safari in my Mac :-) ... Actually it was for my parents computer...Just seems like they are always having problems with IE ... When I used a PC, I had problems with it too. Trying to get out of it ;-)

YES YES Quest I know, I am in the process of getting to make the switch too [to Mac] :-) ... They are VERY
interested.

I see Sky made the switch (or decided to try it) Watch out Sky, once you start on it, it becomes addicting!! lol You'll never want to go back to a PC again ... Infact something funny .. There is this online store that's offering MacBooks and MacBook Pros with Windows PREINSTALLED ON THEM! I didn't know they could do that.

Mensajes Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 4:13 am
SpeedDemond29 wrote :
I see Sky made the switch (or decided to try it) Watch out Sky, once you start on it, it becomes addicting!! lol You'll never want to go back to a PC again

Sky's an "ethical hacker" though. He'll keep using windows for other reasons, but he'll end up relying on his Mac for all of the important stuff. ;)

SpeedDemond29 wrote :
... Infact something funny .. There is this online store that's offering MacBooks and MacBook Pros with Windows PREINSTALLED ON THEM! I didn't know they could do that.

Yeah, some places started doing that shortly after Boot Camp's release around this time last year.

Apple didn't like it t all, mostly because they didn't want to deal with tech support issues for a piece of software that Apple had clearly stated was BETA.

Funny though that Apple's beta software can be so much more stable than microsoft's final releases. =D

Mensajes Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 8:10 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
boot camp is quite simple in reality it is a boot loader that allows

the mac to load windows xps/vista emulated dos then alowing it to load the key boot-files win.ini , system.ini , autoexc.bat , config.sys

alowing the GUI to be loaded and all devices loaded so windows can solider on happily so the potential for trouble is less than say making a whole OS ,

i like mac, but wont stop using PCs i have studied way to many professional qualifications in to do that truly would be insane.

however i will now be using my mac for all my musical/video needs :)

IE 7 i suppose is better for some people , the type of people who see a pop up saying "oh no" your credit card has expired please enter your details here for a new one , or "download reg-clean pro today"

or PC spy ware doctor - not spy ware honest;)

by reminding them to be sensible in their downloads and usage but it does get rather tiresome after a while if you are a power user as such

another benefit is that macs cant run win 32 programs so even if the nasty stuff gets onto it it cant infect

on Internet explorer it is unfortunately very easy to get caught up in a basic hack which is a loop that you cannot escape with out A downloading spy-ware or B forcing IE to quit

which usually runs something along the lines of a popup comes up
you close it it sends you to another page you close that then pops up a dialog which if you cancel you get sent back to the last page and the dialog pops up again stopping you from exiting , i also think the law should catch up with spy-ware because it is essentially hacking the ways they install the programs but at the moment in many cases it is not taken as a criminal offence unfortunately

however i recommend FireFox to any one using a windows PC. as it is more intelligent in situations like that one.

This concludes my speech good night and good luck.

Mensajes Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 2:16 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)