Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: mp4? - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Ok i need a little schooling on this what is the best quality video format that VDJ will play. What programs do I need and settings etc. I usually do vob, but I'm considering another solution. The goal is small downloadable format with quality that looks good on the plasmas. Any one help me out?

Mensajes Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 4:09 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
heya mate i did some research and there are two things you may wish to try and they are mpg and .divx

the mpg because it is crisp quality but it streams well off disk and websites and can be a small file

and divx because it is good quality but tiny tiny file sizes

a good program for making them is this http://www.video-converter.net/

il chat more on skype next time i see you on

Mensajes Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 4:21 pm
Cyder has a question , not an answer ?????? now i'm worried .....

but never mind all that , look , i want some puke green tcv's gen 5 overnighted free to the himalaya's .....thks just send it to base camp 2

Mensajes Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 4:45 pm
usually i stick to what works best which for me has always been vob however, i'm looking for something that give great quality and doesn't take 200-300 mbs per file.

Mensajes Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 6:31 pm
ahhhh ..... well apparently sky says divx is small ......

divx isn't a default codec ........ ???? so will a divx codec work if you add it to the list ?

exc topic .........i only have about 50 videos so far ....... they take up space like about 2000 ? songs ?

Mensajes Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 7:12 pm
download the divx codec and then add .divx to the list.

Mensajes Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 8:23 pm
As far as I understand DivX is MPEG4. I signed up with my12inch.com the other day and this is how there videos come when you download (MPEG4). Im in the process of getting my video collection prepared as Im awaiting either Virtual Vinyl (MAC)to drop or VDJ (MAC) that supports other soundcards then the VV box for timecode. So...Im interested in the same issue before I rip all these Promo Only DVD's I got. Ive done alot of research and will try to dig up those pages that shows the comparison between all of the formats.

Mensajes Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 11:57 pm
Also does VDJ run at a certain resolution?

Video resolution for MPEG 4 (DivX) : 640 x 480 NTSC/PAL.
Sound for MPEG4 (DivX) : Anywhere from 128 kbps - 320 kbps depends on decoding settings.
The CPU usage is also lower than VOB (MPEG 1, MPEG 2).

This is some info Info I received from a video professional.

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 12:11 am
thanks sky ....the owner's manual doesn't say anything specific really about any of the codecs

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 12:36 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I would like to add something:
MPEG4 is the official standard
DivX (and XviD too) is based on an old MPEG4 codec and the code was improved since

@DJ Cyder
You can have a look on H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) if you want to have the best quality

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 12:40 am
me and cyder arnt convinced about divx any more and i am researching an alternative.

il keep you posted.

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 12:44 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Quote :
MPEG Comparison:

MPEG-1
Approved November 1991
VHS-quality
Enabled Video CD
Enabled CD- ROM

MPEG-2
Approved November 1994
DVD-quality
Enabled Digital TV set-top boxes
Enabled Digital Versatile Disk (DVD)

MPEG-4
Approved October 1998
Scalable quality
Based on QuickTime File Format
Scalable delivery - from cell phones to satellite television.

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 1:04 am
Thats nice cel,

But what would give good results for say 50-60 meg files. I just want the quality of mpeg-1 with a smaller file size that's all.

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 1:44 am
Interesting thread,

Just thought I'd mention that divx files will play using the default internal video decoder (on my 2 machines at least).

Where as mp4 files have to decoded with windows media player codec, not as stable or responsive in my opinion (scratching seems a bit laggy).

To me that would be a tick in the list of divx's good points.

Good luck finding the best format, and i'm sure we'll all to interested to know what you decide to go for. :)

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 1:52 am
Oh, also, not sure if you've already got this sorted or not, but TPMGEng is a fantastic program for converting files. Got just about every possible option possible!

(Thanks to TopHouse's blog for that).

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 1:57 am
Anyone who tells you that DivX and Xvid are good solutions has NOT done their homework. While they may be MPEG-4 compatabile neither uses the latest technology for getting high quality video at small file sizes.

I jumped on the DivX bandwagon when it first came out and I still have a few hundred movies that are DivX encoded (slowly replacing those with higher quality). At the time it came out, DivX was it. It was never REALLY high quality. But it was 25% the size of the vob and it was good enough for standard def sets.

Xvid upped the ante and it's quality/size was a little bit better so I used that for a while too. They look decent on standard def sets. Not bad at all.

Both DivX and Xvid fall on their face when you start talking about displays with high resolution, like plasmas and HD sets. The typical DivX rips are gonna be around 1500kb/s if they were ripped with high quality in mind. These files will quickly turn your high def set into a standard def set.

These days MPEG-4 technology is light years ahead of the old DivX and Xvid. I've seen audio/video codecs come and go and I've NEVER said this about an audio/video codec,.. but I think MP4 H.264 AVC/AAC IS THE FUTURE. Plain and simple.

I've been playing with a few H.264 files, some I've made myself and some I've got from iTunes music store (although I HATE DRM with a serious passion). I have to say, these files look straight up AMAZING compared to my Divx and Xvid files. Even when running the H.264 at high resolution, these look awesome (my set only goes to 1080i).

As far as size, where Divx and Xvid are about 25% of vob size, my h.264 rips are about half the size of VOB.

The only issue with H.264 is the encoding time. Divx and Xvid will encode, even with 2 pass at realtime or faster than realtime on good hardware. There's also numerous hardware boxes that can encode DivX VERY fast. H.264, not so much. I've only seen one consumer grade H.264 hardware encoder and I have no idea how well it works. Forget the pro hardware H.264 encoders, way too expensive.

On my FASTEST system (a Dual XEON 3.0Ghz with 2GB RAM), my H.264 encodes are running somewhere like 20 hours for a 2 pass encode of a movie. Not exactly setting any speed records there.

I'm gonna keep experimenting with bitrates, options, etc but so far I like it. I like it enough to say it is the future.

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 8:54 pm
info @ bottom: www.videohelp.com/dvd

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 9:24 pm
cool thanks for the info :)

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 9:26 pm
djreneePRO InfinityMember since 2004
I just took a Promoonly .Vob and compressed it with Mpeg4 / H264
Using the highest quality settings, it took it from 227 megs down to 88. (approximates)
It looks great, sounds good but the audio is way out of sync, the worst I've seen.

Suggestions?

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 9:35 pm
Can't get MP4 to play in virtual dj and....they play fine in Quicktime player, windows media player and divx player but not in VDJ. I too just downloaded a bunch of videos from my12inch.com there is no divx, quicktime video or mp4 codec listed in the drop down to change codecs but they are listed in my system folder for video codecs. When I use the the "video decoder" or the "windows media player video decoder" I get an "error" in the load window and the file won't load. How do I "add" the divx and the quicktime codecs to the VDJ dropdown list of codecs?.........Buy the way i just installed 4.3

Mensajes Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 8:56 am
45%