Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Don Imus - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

i think the punishment was too much ....... i know some will disagree , to put it mildly ....... it would be an excellent topic especially if we can all of us refrain from personal attacks ......

it isn't that what he said is ok ....... it's just that in the current rudderless moral climate of the here and now ( i'm remembering a lot of rap words ) it actually seems mild by comparison ........

also i would like to say that Al Sharpton for instance , a big Imus accuser, has no moral authority with me ever since Tawana Brawley ............

Jesse Jackson ....... i remember him talking about himeys in himeytown

Spike Lee's unfortunate opinions on mixed couples .......

seems like many of the accusers are kinda two faced ; it's especially unfortunate that two of the above mentioned are supposed to be religious leaders , leading flocks and setting a good example ......

also i can't help but notice that there seems like this tidal wave of wishing for punishment and retribution ...... seems very old testament to me .........

i actually know ministers who only dish out forgive and forget ......

Gandhi on many occasions said words to the effect that since we're all such sinners why should we feel like we get to punish others ????

he wasn't saying there is no wrong ...... he was saying try not to be in such a rush to judgement.....

i think they should just suspend then take him back ...... maybe some time on the beatdown tour would do his soul some good .......

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 4:54 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
?

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 5:11 pm
he's a big ny radio disc jockey for the last 30 , 35 years .........he got fired for calling the ladies of the rutgers basketball team nappy headed ho's to use his own words

in the US it's all over the news the last 2 days ..........

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 5:22 pm
he was kinda the original shock jock long b4 howard stern ..... i remember when i was a teenager he'd actually make disparaging remarks about products from his shows advertisers......lol

he had a low opinion of the music of the Carpenters so he always cued up hammers and saws at the beginning of there songs......lol

he said something bad , but unlike the rappers who get rich from it , and unlike other celebs who received slaps on the wrist ...... he got fired in the midst of a firestorm of controversy

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 5:38 pm
Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Huh? Where did that come from?!

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 5:45 pm
Imus went to a meeting with the ladies from this basketball team . the governor of new jersey was going to attend also , but he was in a very serious car crash enroute ........ now gov. corzine will be recuperating for months.......

it's a pretty bad story that is getting worse

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 6:27 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
His comment was in jest and the quote is selective and it cost him his job-s.

The commentators were talking about how "manly" and "rough" the girls were playing the game when Imus made a side comment like "those are the roughest bunch of nappy headed ho's I've ever seen."

It has sparked a real issue amongst blacks and whites in this country because of double standards with words spoken freely by blacks that when spoken by whites is a major outrage.
This basis is countered by the rap music industry's acceptance of language used in music that is similar and not a problem.

He has sort of brought it on himself though, because he is a leader and long standing shock jock that some love and some would shoot if they could.

Some say it was opportunity waiting to happen and he gave them what they needed to oust him.

So be it....the radio is for music imo.

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 6:36 pm
It is bigger than Imus, its bigger than rap music. Its the culture we live in today seems to accept vulgarity, sensless, and tastelsess humor. most of the words of hatred are now watered down and dont mean the same things as they did before. The "N" word is now used to greet each other and is a term of endearment. WOW.
He should be punished (imus) and the record labels and advertisers shoul be held accountable for the climate we live in today, its not just rap music but all music. Look at reggae music they have some of the most vulgar and degrading lyrics but we dont pay them any attention becuase we dont know what there saying, and even Rock & Roll has bad lyrics too, so let's clean up the music.

I will tell you this be very afraid going foward because freedom of speech may become a thing of the past. I think artist have a right to say what they want on records and we have the right not to buy or tune them out. I dont want to have to bite my tongue eveytime before i speak and we need to protect our first ammendment. Just tune out the bad guys!

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 6:39 pm
i agree w/ mark and rick

originally it was a kinda side remark having to do with the women playing as rough as the men .... i remember thinking at the time ..... of course .... the women rappers try to be as bad as the men ......the women b ballers wanna throw as many elbows as the men ....etc....the men doing it is bad , but the Women ?? want to equal or exceed it ??? that's all i thought of it......then he's suspended and all this.......

i'm glad mark said what he did about the vulgarity ....... i kinda wonder if the whole episode means that people are fed up with it ??? the baseness ?? how many lines are crossed before it's enough already ??

this whole episode had to do originally with a women's collegiate basketball game and the fact that it was so rough ??? i remember bleeding mouths during march madness ........ hockey players , lots of 'em leaving the ice on stretchers ........ a football player stepping on a guys head ......

it really seems like it's getting savage out there sometimes

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 7:09 pm
he shouldn't have given them the opportunity ......

now who's gonna play hammers 'n saws during the intro to "We've only just begun " ? LOL

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 7:19 pm
I can't say I understand the whole "Shock Jock" thing. When Howard Stren tryed to expand his show up to Toronto/Montreal in the late 90's, It was a ratings disaster, compleatly flopped - and he almost got charged with a hate crime in Quebec (said somthing disparaging about french people - go fig)

Most of the time - IMO - people will put up with it as long as it makes money, when Something derails the gravy train - then the "Shock Jock" is blamed for everything except the crusifiction and gets fired.

Allmighty dollar - we chase thee.

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 7:24 pm
I think MSNBC and CBS made the right decision, on one hand freedom of speech is a double sided sword, but on the other the parent companies hold the right to censor it's channels as it sees fit. I didn't expect much from Imus, he's a pill junky and my experiance with junkies is that they will say some off the wall things without thinking it through first. I disagree though the importance of this, I think we're better off focusing on the lack of action in Darfur, our refugees of Katrina here at home, the food banks handing out loafs of molded bread, the medias explotation and exagerration of illegal immigration, (more importantly) our governments lack of action on global warming, etc. etc.. Don't get me wrong, I do not tolerate racism of any kind, but we have much bigger things here to worry about right now;^]

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 7:34 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Ah a bit of politics for the weekend..

Maybe what he said was offensive and wrong....maybe wrong enough to warrant being fired. But I can think of hundreds of MUCH MUCH greater "wrong doers" who've spread hate and violence all over the world and still at large (safe in their jobs), this is the hypocrisy.

People like this guy are used to divert the attention of the public from the many and far greater criminals, it's just built up bull shit, meanwhile people are dying in the hundreds of thousands, personally this troubles me more than some New York DJ I've never heard of, but now I have heard of him because of these puppet propagandist media corporations.

people like this are good for the "cause".

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 8:00 pm
Marcel at the time to hear anyone criticise a song or a product was shocking and amusing and that's what the shock consisted of which i think is great ....... now it's nothing like that it's just plain sordid i think .......

it is a little bit of a circus thanks to the media but in the end the issue is how do we treat each other and the answer it seems is badly.......

that's how people die in Darfur and get moldy bread in a foodline or drown from flooding that should never have happened in New Orleans .......

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 8:01 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Well we needed SOMETHING to end the Anna Nicole Smith story thing....OMG stop....yer killing me.

And Larry Birkhead....did it!

Yup...one big circus while the rest of the country goes to hell...

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 8:58 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
OK, here goes.....Don Imus being fired is just a small trigger to a much bigger problem. What he said was bad but, he should not have been fired. I would not be suprised if after this all blows over he gets his job back. (See Opie and Anothy, CBS has a history of this kind of action) But the bigger issue is this. The U.S. is becoming a polarized nation. No one is allowed to disagree anymore. It is always "this should be banned" or "he should be fired" or any combination of the two. "A Nation devided cannot stand" Abraham Lincoln. The African American community propelled phrases like that into the main stream of our culture. Now they are complaining when it is used in jest about one of their own? I do not get it, it is our right to change the station if we do not agree with what an on air DJ says. It is our right to boycotte his sponsors. It is our right to let the radio station know we do not like a certain show. It is not our right to ask for him to be fired, punished yes, fired no. The station managment will know by how their income drops and take appropriate action. But for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, both Reverends of a Christian Church by the way, to call for Imus to be fired was completely in the wrong. Christianity is supposed to be all about forgiveness and compasion. Not about how big of a power base you can build (I know history proves that Man is a poor excuse to run an orginized religion). So everyone hold onto your freedoms like they are the last grasp of fresh air as you are pulled under for what could be the last time, it might not stop here. Freedom is being taken away in small doses and I fear for the fate of my children. I have said it before and I say it again.

Peace and Hair Grease my DJ brothers

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 9:41 pm
santdPRO InfinityMember since 2004
When Imus kicked his coke habbit the show went down hill.

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 10:04 pm
well now wait a minute rick ..... the Anna Nicole thing ,that, that's important stuff ..... let's not gloss over it .......
i'm gonna start the ATT channel (all trailer trash) wall to wall tawdry bits about really important (in there minds) people

brought to you by the makers of Bass -O-Matic (BM Corp.) the blender that can frappe' any fish or cetacean and doubles as a midi controller ........

our corporate credo .......neuter your pets , and weird friends and relatives .......

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 11:01 pm
@Tear ......... i thought you were dead on about getting polarized ....... i think racially and economically by class that is definitely happening

i also think we're not fired up anymore ........ no charismatic leaders no goals

no astronauts practicing there tee shots ....... on the moon ...........

peace and hair grease ....... i like that lol

brylcreem...... a little dab 'll do ya ........

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 11:23 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Thanks Chuck, I was once put on a three month suspension because I made a comment that was taken out of context. I have very deep feelings about this.

Mensajes Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 11:26 pm
57%