Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Burning smell

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have a burning smell coming from the power supply. The fans are all working.
Anyone have idea what to check or should just replace?

Mensajes Mon 23 Apr 07 @ 10:09 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
smells are ok as long as it doesn't let the magic smoke all electronics run on out, you'll be fine.

Mensajes Mon 23 Apr 07 @ 10:12 pm
DJ Cyder
Thanks. Just a bit weird since I haven't had this smell before. I took the cover off to check things out. The power seems a bit warm to me.

Mensajes Mon 23 Apr 07 @ 10:19 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
@Cyder, during the day I work on electronics....if it smells funny unplug it! It could be dust, why risk it? Unplug it, get a can of air, and blow it out. Plug it back in. If the smell is still there something is getting ready fail, bring it in.

Mensajes Mon 23 Apr 07 @ 10:54 pm
Well I don't think it's ok.
Here's update. Smell still there and system shuts off after about 15 min.
Also I already cleaned it out.

Mensajes Mon 23 Apr 07 @ 11:46 pm
i get that whenever i'm thinking .....

Mensajes Mon 23 Apr 07 @ 11:49 pm
C'mon guys. You know if it smells like something is burning, it is. It's done. We all know that smell. The best thing you can hope for is it doesn't fry everything else. I nthink Cyder may have been making a joke, but I am not sure.

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 12:32 am
The same thing happened to me, turned out to be a burnt out CPU fan, I had to replace the whole fan and the mount, dunno if this is the same thing

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 4:36 am
Sometimes the cause are the capacitators.
And that's really trouble as most capacitators are there to 'filter' and 'smoothen' incoming electric current.

For more information about capacitators check:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

Failing capacitators can be checked out sometimes visually.
If you see some white or yello glue comming out of them than you know it's broken.

Personally I would ALWAYS replace a broken power supply. It's just too important.
If it doesn't work properly you could fry all your other components.

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 10:17 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It's time to change:)

change for the higher power supply maybe current one have overload...

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 1:40 pm
Thanks guys; As I said Fans are all working, so I can eliminate that as the problem

Power supply is 400 watt, so I don't think that it is too small.

Just dropped off system at computer expert. They will run tests and let me know.
I will keep you posted when I find out the actual problem

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 7:35 pm
Update: Just received call from computer store. Definitely the power supply.

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 10:39 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
It should be noted that if the PS fails it can trash your mother board and other hardware in seconds.
If there's smoke...there's fire like Rick said, but you can most certainly get a new PS at Fry's http://www.frys.com/ ...hehe... hold the pickles though...

All electronics run on smoke...its not a problem until the smoke leaks out....old pcdj thread if I remember correctly.

Good luck with your difficulties bogart.

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 11:22 pm
Definetly the power supply. Got a new one installed. I know these thing can go bad, but what is strange is that I have a Dell desktop from 2002. This thing still has not had anything like this happen. The system is much better machine dell. The Dell is on constantly without a PS problem.
Just venting I suppose.
Thanks guys.

Mensajes Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 6:01 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)