Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: First Club gig tonight

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey guys,

Finally got meself a club gig tonight playing upbeat/dance/"party" tracks for a promo night for our uni's student newspaper. Got to say i'm pretty nervous lol. I've done a halls of residence gig and private houseparties but I can't help but feel nervous. Partly because the last gig I lined up got cancelled when it was meant to start because "there weren't enough bar staff to man the second room".

Anyhoo, does anyone have any tips? I've got the music library I think, but suggestions would also be very welcome incase I've overlooked something. I starts at 9 so I'm going to get there for between 8-8:30 to set up etc.

Thanks in advance
Nebula

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 3:47 pm
be there in time - rather bring more than less equipment, cables etc.. to make sure everything works fine.

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 4:25 pm
yeah I have a spair of every cable, and I'm doing a system check now. Thanks

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 4:30 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
enjoy...been nervous is part of the buzz...

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 6:37 pm
I hope it's not to late yet.
But take a mixtape with you.
Or a mixed cd of approx the same style you gonna dj.
Put it on a spare channel on your mixing panel.
Put the cd on infinite loop or the mixtape on A->B->A loop

That way, if your computer crashes you can fastly switch to the spare channel and still save your ass.

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 6:39 pm
@Tayla:

Thanks a lot! I'm sure I will, love playing live :o)

@IronLunatic:

I've got my creative MP3 Player with a playlist on for emergencies, but I think I'll make a CD of a few tracks as well.

Thanks for all the feedback, it's much appreciated!!

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 6:42 pm
Are going to plug into their system? if so, make sure you do a walk around at the beginning to check gains and levels... some locations have it zoned out.

My location has it zoned so the dance floor is party time with mic enabled but 10' toward the bar my speakers are leveled lowered but my mic is disabled or it sounds garbled when I try to speak in that area.

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 6:49 pm
Yeah going to be plugging in. Hadn't really thought about having a wander during setup but I will do tonight. It's a good idea. I will be taking my mic but I doubt I'll using it to be honest. I prefer to mix between songs, rather than speak. If I can't beatmatch them for some reason ( I don't see this happening since my set is pretty much sorted now, but you never know) I'll probably put a loopout, brake or backspin in.

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 6:57 pm
Nebula wrote :
Hey guys,

Finally got meself a club gig tonight playing upbeat/dance/"party" tracks for a promo night for our uni's student newspaper.

Dude, it's going to be fine. So you can loosen up the G-STRING. Remember most of the people will be people of in your circle.

Have fun, relax, throw in some songs that you may not normally play.

This Sat. I plan on having a Dance off to vanilla ice... The winner and his crew will get a round of shots. I just want to do something different before cinco de mayo. Yes, I will dance too so all SUCKAS had better beware. They will get served : ))

YOU WILL DO FINE>>>> Nervous is part of the excitement

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 7:40 pm
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
AHhhh I remember the nervous days. Hell still have them when doing weddings mainly because I hate talking on the mic at weddings!

I still get a tad nervous when I get a guest gig at a club i've never been to before but after I get em dancing the butterflys go away and it's ON!

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 8:07 pm
Cj-TjHome userMember since 2007
If its not a trade secret, would you mind posting a rough playlist or a selection of artists you plan to play. Not that I can advise you on it, but for personal interest.

Good luck and have fun!

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 9:00 pm
I always get there 2 hours before, it was 3 this past Sunday. You want to take your time to set up, and have time to fix anything that may pop up. Trust me, shit happens. I still get nervous, until I turn on the system. Then I turn into "A Man & His Music".

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 9:15 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Yeah, my anxiety goes sky high until everything is up and running, and i spend litterally hours at home trying to figure out if i might have not packed something.

Once i hear the sound coming from the speakers, its like heaven :D

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 10:10 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Nebula wrote :
I will be taking my mic but I doubt I'll using it to be honest. I prefer to mix between songs, rather than speak.

I understand you would prefer not to talk, but. Making announcments is part of the job, Either about upcoming events, or drink specials or just asking if someone has found a set of car keys. So be flexible, everynight you work. It might be a different crowd on Tuesday then on Friday when yu visited with the boss.

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 11:07 pm
Niems wrote :
Yeah, my anxiety goes sky high until everything is up and running, and i spend litterally hours at home trying to figure out if i might have not packed something.

Once i hear the sound coming from the speakers, its like heaven :D

I agree! not because of something naturally going wrong, but because of the Friday night DJ... almost every night I work, I find something wrong, blown or missing. If something doesn't work, I have to do a complete inspection of the whole system.

Mensajes Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 11:31 pm
So how did it go?

Mensajes Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 8:35 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)