Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Law of Unintended Consequences.

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

No I didn't do anything wrong to anybody - this week - that I know of.

Actually it's sort of in regards to Youtube (and others) videos that we post.

Has anyone else from clubs/email gotten the response that Customers/ audience DOES NOT like seeing the video/photo slideshow used.

On one of my youtube vids, I used slideshow and decided to get fancy and started flippping pictures and rotating them, etc. The response was overall positive, but the pictures were only flipping for about 2-3 mins, and watchers complained that they could not always see themselves in the pictures. They also mentioned that they would just rather watch the video with nice transitions then seeing them jerk back and forth/flip around/spin.

Unintended Consequense:
1) Same as playing music I guess, just play the song, do a nice mix/transition, and don't get to fancy
2) Youtube is a good way to show off, AND get feedback of what looks nice and to use live

Thoughts?

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Mensajes Mon 30 Apr 07 @ 4:54 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Its also the law of remixes, the general pubic doesn't like their music altered either. No matter how cool you think you are as a dj by cutting songs up and scratching the general pubic won't like it, if they do its for about 5 minutes before they ask can you just play the song. I've seen this over and over again in clubs and mobiles house parties etc.. I'm guessing this also applies to your slideshows.

In my video shows my main transition is a simple fade or cut. Its what people are used to seeing on tv etc, the most common video trans used by professional broadcasters is a cut to scene and a close second is a fade to black.

Mensajes Mon 30 Apr 07 @ 5:14 pm
No-body else wants to discuss this topic?

no-body else runs video and slideshows at the club?

no-body gets feedback form customers/friends?

Mensajes Tue 01 May 07 @ 5:42 pm

Gotta say the same as Cyder.. Seems guests are not into advanced stuff always;) Scratching, mixing the song before its done, and remixes are all things that I might get a customer complaint for.

I play lots of Ultimix (remixes of urban songs) and house remixes of hits, both I love, and both sounds damn cool.. But its very likely to get a drunk blonde to the dj booth saying, "hey shit dj, play the freaking original"

hehe ;)

Mensajes Tue 01 May 07 @ 6:14 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :

Gotta say the same as Cyder.. Seems guests are not into advanced stuff always;) Scratching, mixing the song before its done, and remixes are all things that I might get a customer complaint for.

I play lots of Ultimix (remixes of urban songs) and house remixes of hits, both I love, and both sounds damn cool.. But its very likely to get a drunk blonde to the dj booth saying, "hey shit dj, play the freaking original"

hehe ;)

I agree... I really noticed it this past weakend when I spent a good portion of the weak practicing and puting some good combos together to make a top 40 club slightly different from the shows I've in weaks before. My goal is to make one set mixes and remixes.

Even my regulars who request the same song or artist every weak come back to me and tell me "you cut of the end or the best part ( keep in mind some songs are 3 -4 long ) - or can you play that song again since you only played part of it." arrrggg

I hate playing long songs at it's full length ( at the club ). I just end up standing there waiting for the next cue.

I start my video show hopefully this month and can't even imagine what the response is going to be when I mix and remix the videos since they tend to be longer or has breaks in them.

Mensajes Tue 01 May 07 @ 6:53 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
OK I do not do video but....in my humble opinion the only people who are going to be imressed are either tech-oriented people or other DJs When I was working the clubs heavey the other DJs would stand in front my booth and watch and encourage me to do inventive things with LPs. The dancers on the floor would say "Awww you cut that song out before my favorite part." I imaging getting too creative with video will have the same effect. Then again I could be wrong I am just a caveman.

Mensajes Tue 01 May 07 @ 7:58 pm
Same thing I end up thinking about night after night in the booth.

Goes back to the - Are we artists or jukeboxes?

Argument could go wither way. But People are really digging the video.

Mensajes Tue 01 May 07 @ 10:37 pm
Good to know everybody's liking the videos, I'm still yet to convince the management at my place to spend a few quid to put a video cable in the DJ booth, (I only do one night a week and I'm the only one with videos).

Interesting about the jukebox thing, I know what you guys mean. Last weekend I went to a popular club and noticed that the DJ was playing all well known dance tunes, but all full 12" versions and no talking on the mic. It was really interesting to see the different atmosphere created.

Didn't see anybody ask for a request all night (music was too damn loud anyway!) It was alot more like people were listening to his performance, rather than bugging him for their favourite tune.

To me it seems like kind of slow moving (new tune every 5 or 6 minutes, rather than every 3 with video versions of tunes), but when a good tune came on, it really got a goooood reaction!

Mensajes Tue 01 May 07 @ 11:29 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
It all comes down to playing to your crowd no two are alike and that's where the dj's skill comes in. Reading the reactions judging based on experience what works and what doesn't. Its one thing to see a dj in concert and quite another to see a working club dj.

Also you can't let your personal taste effect what you are playing. For example I really like old house music from the early 90's but you won't catch me playing it on the hip hop night. You play to your crowd not at them, and you'll be sucessful.

Mensajes Tue 01 May 07 @ 11:41 pm
I have nothing but positive feedback doing video mixing all night at clubs.
I don't do the fancy effects or slideshow stuff. Just the video mixed to the next one. Simple fade, satellite or scratch transition between each video. Scratch transition if I am well.... scratching the next one in or doing some scratching in general with video.

Funny thing someone mentioned the whole playing the originals and not playing an entire song out... Those are my own personal pet peeves. I love remix services but they sometime just butcher the crap out of a song and add too much to it. A simple edit for a DJ friendly mix would be just fine with me. That is why I do the majority of my own edits with audio and video.

I live in Vegas and I have noticed that most DJ's here do the whole "quick mix" thing. Before the club opened I went out to few places and I couldn't get into it at all. All I could think about was how irritating it was to only hear like 1 to 2 minutes of a song. Felt sorry for a tourist who is out on the dancefloor and only hear the beginning of their favorite song. A good friend I met here who also DJ's at the club tried to explain it is a Vegas thing... people have A.D.D. and they need that constant change... BS... I think that someone popular did it and now everyone is trying follow the trend. I think there is a way you can program a room that you mainly READ the crowd... If a song is rockin' ... play it out longer!! If it is bombing.. get out of it!! Common Sense Stuff!! But for a DJ to play those crappy out of key Mash-Ups and quick mixing all night long... I can't stand it!!

Mensajes Wed 02 May 07 @ 3:50 am
I think you nailed it right on the head there AL.....

Simple = better

Less = More.

K.I.S.S = Keep It Simple Stupid!!!!

I listen to the guy on the local R&B/Urban station and he does quick mixes and so forth and it sounds fantastic on the radio.

I do it as well in the club to get requests that might not be in our format played and out of the way.

I think for most Club DJ's that might ring true - play the damn song do a good transition/mix/scratch, and then into the next song.

I find this very interesting that even though we're in differnt Countries or even Continents that Customer Feedback is remarkably similar.

Mensajes Wed 02 May 07 @ 3:57 am
visualisations, slideshows, videos and video mixing

visualisations are nice and provide a decent amount of ambient eye-candy, but do get boring afterawhile. (unless you're customer base is heavy into x or acid...)

slideshows are great if you can get enough variety of images from in the club/event that you are in. wet t-shirt, bikini contests, mechanical bull riding, party shots, crowd shots from concerts. both the quality of the image and length of time it is displayed are things that have to be worked on. large file size images can make VDJ stutter, and anything longer than 10 seconds can make a viewer lose interest.

videos... the best thing i can say is - don't over do it! playing and mixing video is great for a nice refreshing look and effect, but if you constantly use it then your crowd loses interest. and, if you dont have a large library of videos then they see the same ones over and over again and get bored, and yes, i know there needs to be a downloadable library for videos that is reliable, and stretches across mulitple genres.

but thats just how i feel about it...

and oh yeah... video mixing does kick ass. with the right videos....

Mensajes Wed 02 May 07 @ 4:17 am
I do remember doing quick mixes "back in the day". When I would spend hours practicing I would end the session with a quick mix from front of the crate to the back of the back of the crate... this was to test how fast I could match the beats and keep the phrasing right. It totally help me out later! When I am in a bind an have like no time to mix a song in ... I can actually mix it in on the fly not sweat!

The only application I could see the quick mixing useful is demos or DJ contest! Not when you have about 500+ people on a dancefloor trying to understand what the hell you are doing!

I do also find it interesting that this seems to be common everywhere... I thought it was just a "Vegas thing"... I moved here from Houston Texas and I have never seen that in Houston... unless I overlooked it.

BTW.. I do work in a club that has 4 rooms with 4 different decades represented.
There is a lot of decore in the club reflecting each decade. We have a lighted "Saturday Night Fever" style dancefloor in the 70's room. We have a real DeLorian car in the 80's room along with other great eye candy for each decade. People come there to have that sort of trip down memory lane. My boss is thrilled to pieces that I have such a huge collection of videos spanning old to current! You know how many people including staff have come up to me and said,"Oh my god!! I remember that video!!" They are totally into it! Especially if it is done right!

Mensajes Wed 02 May 07 @ 4:18 am
low-fat-al wrote :

I do also find it interesting that this seems to be common everywhere... I thought it was just a "Vegas thing"... I moved here from Houston Texas and I have never seen that in Houston... unless I overlooked it.

It might be a Vegas thing, One of the newer Mega-trendy clubs that opened In the Mall here in Edmonton (supposedly Canada's largest - Has a freaking amusment park in it). Is a Veags transplant.

DJ Shocker.

The Guy on the radio I mentioned I believe hangs with that group/crew (don't know, just guessing)

Might Be a Vegas thing transplanted into Edmonton. I know a lot of jocks are doing it right now.

Mensajes Wed 02 May 07 @ 4:28 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)