Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: VDJ Cue vs CD Cue

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I've been using a Denon CD player for over 15 years now. With the Denon (and the other CD players I've used as well), wherever you are in a track and hit Play, it sets a cue point there. Meaning, if you hit Cue, it takes you back to that point in the track.

Well, that is apparently NOT how VDJ works. I've downloaded the DAC3 mapper, but it still doesn't seem to provide this functionality. It seems that when I hit Cue, it INSERTS a cue point there.

Is there a way to have VDJ and the DAC3 perform this way?

Also - the auto mode seems to start midway into some tracks that start soft. I've been told that I just need to create a cue point at the start of the track, but I'd rather just turn this off. Can that be done?

Thanks!!

Tommy

Mensajes Sat 05 May 07 @ 7:29 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I believe you can using mapper, on Hercules when you hit Cue during play it will go to the last Cue point and stop, but if you are in stop mode it will assign Cue point on that mark.

Mensajes Sat 05 May 07 @ 8:51 pm
It's not currently possible to do this either with the DAC-3 mapper or even VDJ itself. Such a feature could be added to a future version of the DAC-3 mapper.

Unlike most CD players (Except higher-end ones, and only for a limited number of CD's), VDJ remembers all cue points that have been set in a song, so you only need to set the cue point once per new song added to the database.

Mensajes Sat 05 May 07 @ 9:09 pm
That's a bummer. What' I'm talking about, though, is basically a dynamic cue point (or "temporary cue oint"). e.g. I don't have to actually save the cue - it's set from where I hit the Play button last. Once I get it right where I want it, then I'd save it.

It's just that I've been doing it that way for 15 years, and now it's hard to remember to do it the other way - which adds a step or two.

Are you saying that this is not currently possible? Or were you talking about the automix problem with tracks that start soft?

Mensajes Sun 06 May 07 @ 8:46 am
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
jpboggis, couldn't you just map the cue button to the same function as the "1" button for the first cue? Obviously with hot cues disabled though.

Mensajes Sun 06 May 07 @ 11:54 am
djtommye wrote :
basically a dynamic cue point (or "temporary cue oint"). e.g. I don't have to actually save the cue - it's set from where I hit the Play button last.

VDJ only has one type of cue point and these are saved for the song in the database. The only way what you are asking for could be implemented is to set a cue point as PLAY is pressed to start playback. Pressing CUE would then return back to that cue point (Set at the point where you started playback.)

djtommye wrote :
Are you saying that this is not currently possible?

It's not possible in the current version of the mapper, but could be added as an option to a future version.

The current CUE/PLAY behaviour is based on how these buttons worked in VDJ 3.4

djtommye wrote :
Or were you talking about the automix problem with tracks that start soft?

I think that's a problem with automix itself, trying to be clever and find what it thinks is the first downbeat. I don't use automix myself, but I think if you have set a cue point, it will use that instead as the start point. There may be other ways around this problem.

NOTE: Setting cue points is a once off action in VDJ unlike CD players. Cue points set in a song will be remembered in the VDJ database. When you next load the song, the cue point will already be set. Enabling the Auto Cue option in VDJ's settings will automatically jump to the first cue point position in the song when it's loaded.

Niems wrote :
jpboggis, couldn't you just map the cue button to the same function as the "1" button for the first cue? Obviously with hot cues disabled though.

You'd never be able to stop the song if it was set like that (goto_cue) - Pressing CUE would just keep repeating playback from cue point #1.

If you want to disable CUE from setting cue points, you can already do this via user parameters. In this mode, pressing cue will return to the cue point (And cycle through them while paused at the cue point.)

Mensajes Sun 06 May 07 @ 8:09 pm
jpboggis said:
VDJ only has one type of cue point and these are saved for the song in the database. The only way what you are asking for could be implemented is to set a cue point as PLAY is pressed to start playback. Pressing CUE would then return back to that cue point (Set at the point where you started playback.)

How about an option that said "Dynamic cue uses cue point 10" or something like that. Who cares if it gets stored with the song - next time I load the song, I may want to have the cure point memorized. This is a real show-stopper for me - I guess I'm just an old dog trying to learn a new trick, as they say. It is so natural for me to just hit Play then Cue and adjust the (dynamic) cue point and hit Play again, that this screws me up everytime and is very frustrating.

I've owned VDJ for about 17 months now, and I've only used it a handfull of times because I get frustrated by this one issue.

Mensajes Thu 10 May 07 @ 10:57 am
Yes, it would be possible to add this as an option and even allow you to choose which cue point number it uses (So that you don't end up messing up any others that you have set in the song.)

Old habits may be hard to break, but it's sometimes worth getting used to the 'new' way of doing things. With DJ software, you don't need to keep setting the cue point every time you load a song. This is a once off process that's then remembered when you load the song in future (Some high-end CD players are able to do this too for a given number of CDs/tracks)

For songs that you have played before and set the cue point, you can just simply load them up and hit play. With the Auto Cue option enabled in VDJ's settings, it will automatically go to the cue point when the song is loaded.

Mensajes Thu 10 May 07 @ 7:48 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
True about it not stopping :/

Well, for what the software offers, i guess its worth teaching yourself the new ways, in return getting a much more powerful dj platform

Mensajes Thu 10 May 07 @ 10:11 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)