Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Under no circumstances play...

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Just abit of a light-hearted post. I was just wondering what songs/artists have other DJ's out there been specifically told under no circumstances at all to ever play on that night.

I DJ a wedding a few weeks ago and got the usual song/artists requests beforehand then the Bride to be told me I was not to play any ABBA, no matter who else wants it. Id heard of Arachnophobia if your afraid of spiders - I think this person had Abbaphobia :)

Mensajes Wed 09 May 07 @ 6:12 am
I have a wedding coming up at the end of June and at the first meeting ( keep in mind that they are an older couple in their 50s) she is all excited about the music and went through the whole list of latin music and prelistened to almost all of them. He is a traditional ( non ethnic ) gentleman who says what ever she wants then thats whats she gets. OH, by the way if I play billy Idol's " Mony, Mony " then I would be fired on the spot and replaced with - LOL - not a CD player but a radio.

Mensajes Wed 09 May 07 @ 7:27 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
That's why I am Club/resident DJ, I can't stand that situations like you had ;)

Mensajes Wed 09 May 07 @ 2:31 pm
Same here :-) I stopped playing @ weddings 10 years ago “the horror” LOL

Mensajes Wed 09 May 07 @ 4:07 pm
I had a girl tell me under no circumstances should I play "The Beautiful Girl In World" no matter who asks for it. I figured, no prob...no one ever asks for it anyway. Sure enough, her uncle came up to me and begged me to play the song, even offerred cash. Thank the good Lord that she told me not to play it...(cause I probably would have slipped it in during dinner or down time, just to satisfy a request)

They told me this after the wedding:
The guy's wife walked out on him some 15 years ago. And every family function he tries to get that song played...and when it does, he sits at the table crying for the rest of the party, usually causing a scene. So, they learned to make sure it isn't around when he is.

Mensajes Wed 09 May 07 @ 4:14 pm
Sorry -- title of the song "Most Beautiful Girl in the World"

Mensajes Wed 09 May 07 @ 4:15 pm
she's having my baby ...........

if i blew my brains out ...... the good side would be , at least i'd never hear that song again

from my experience weddings pay well and clubs don't ............

Mensajes Wed 09 May 07 @ 4:54 pm
chucknorrisyouwimps wrote :
from my experience weddings pay well and clubs don't ............

Maybe, but as a resident DJ, every friday and saturday (at least) is yours ;)
It is better for me to get a less money all the time than a little more twice a month :)

Mensajes Wed 09 May 07 @ 9:08 pm
Fortunately, I do it all, club and mobile. Let me just say that the mobile money is insane. I work in a club 5 days a week, and consider it "a little something to do". I average a little over a grand a week here, but average over $1200.00 for a wedding. I just did two communions this weekend. Did I say how much I hate kids, and their little games? I also hate the dentist, but I still go. However, I made $1320.00 for 8 hours of play time. So give me a mobile gig anytime. I have no problem with the "do not plays". There is usually a reason for it, and most of the time, it's a shit song anyway.

Mensajes Wed 09 May 07 @ 10:07 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
There is usually a reason for it, and most of the time, it's a shit song anyway.

Well said! Lol xD

Mensajes Wed 09 May 07 @ 11:03 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
I have no problem with the "do not plays".

Me neither, but it's not that simple....

Mensajes Thu 10 May 07 @ 2:59 am
i go mobile and do the strip club ........mobile pays better

weddings pay well and do so year 'round

i just did communions too.... ithink they're easy and the kids don't annoy me ....

kids are gonna be kids ..... what's the adults excuse ??????

Mensajes Thu 10 May 07 @ 4:25 am
i think i should make this plain for what it's worth for people who don't know what i do .....

i do 18 or more shifts per month at the slut hut ..... ( support single moms)

i do 6 or more mobile gigs per month ( lots more during wedding season )

so i like to tell myself that i do a lot of strip club and mobile ....your mileage may vary

Mensajes Thu 10 May 07 @ 4:30 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I do mostley weddings...now. In all of my wedding contract forms there is a "Songs you would like us to avoid" section. It has been filled up, and left blank. My personal favorite was "Do not play any music that would normally be played at a wedding reception". 45 minutes into the job the Bride asked for the Cha Cha Slide, gee,.......like that has never been played at a wedding....lol. On the club side I was told one night to play no more dance music by the manager. It made for a long night, but I still got paid so who cares right?

Mensajes Thu 10 May 07 @ 10:25 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
On the club side I was told one night to play no more dance music by the manager. It made for a long night, but I still got paid so who cares right?

LOL... This past weekend at the club, the atmosphere got so high that the manager to told me to bring it down ( it was one of those nights that no matter what I played it was a hit ). I asked him what he has in mind and he said no more dance music for a while. UMMM< OK.

I play a slow song and 2x country 2 step songs... the floor just rotated people but was still crowded. BOY, imagine the looks from the hip hop dance crowd. Of course they would come up to me and say " play something else, NO ONE IS DANCING TO THIS" as the floor is packed.

I know this deviates from the topic but it reminded me of the weekend.

Mensajes Thu 10 May 07 @ 10:42 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)