Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Is there a mechanic in the house?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Gotta Question: I just purchased a used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4D Sport Utility. It has a straight 6 engine in it.

My question: It looks and sounds great BUT When the air is not running and your stopped at a light, (its been running for a while) Is it normail idle at 500 RPM? or should it be a little above that:? Or is 500 normal since the air is not running?

It has 27,100 miles on it.

This is my second day with it. It is my first time buying a used car. I have 5 days to return it for a full refund.

Can anyone help me with this?

Mensajes Wed 16 May 07 @ 4:53 am
That sounds a little high to me. I haven't had a car in like 5 years though.

Mensajes Wed 16 May 07 @ 5:09 am
CHARL1E F1VE wrote :
That sounds a little high to me. I haven't had a car in like 5 years though.

what sounds high? the millage? or the rpm idle? Im going by what it's showing me on the gauge inside.

Mensajes Wed 16 May 07 @ 5:17 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Since you have time I'd take it back and have them look at it. I used to work on these jeeps back in a former life. From what I remember idle problems keep in mind its been over 5 years since I turned a wrench now i just spin vinyls and work for you guys :)

Anyways most cars that have obd2 or newer have some sort of block learn meaning that I learns how you drive and adjusts itself over time for better fuel economy. You can do a simple hard reset on the pcm or ecm or whatever they are calling them these days. Just yank the negative terminal on the battery for about an hour or so. Then on the first start up don't touch the gas and let it do a new Idle learn. If that doesn't fix it you might have a bad tps sensor (throttle position sensor) or worse it could be a gummed up iac (if it has one) Idle air control motor) not returning to the correct position. Its been a while for me but thats where I'd look.

Mensajes Wed 16 May 07 @ 5:21 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Btw a quick google check says the idle speed should be between 600-744 rpm. So you might need to take it in and have it adjusted.

Mensajes Wed 16 May 07 @ 5:27 am
I just checked for Bulletens on my online service manuals

There is one that involves a flash programing of the ECM. That will have to be done at the dealer.
A low Idle speed is usually caused by carbon in the Idle Circuit in the throttle body.

To check this - remove the intake nozzle from the throttle body assembly and take a peek at the Butterfly valve, if it's black it needs to be cleaned. The Idle Air Control Valve (as Cyder said) might be carboned up as well, but a dirty idle control valve is usally a high idle.

You could try cleaning it by yourself - but if you're not a gearhead type of guy - it'd be better to take it in.

Mensajes Wed 16 May 07 @ 6:29 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I think the idle sounds like its fine,but could need a small adjustment...nothing major, are you sure it exactly 500 and not in the 600 range. If anything take it back and have them check the idle, you will feel better. Good luck with the new vehicle!

Mensajes Wed 16 May 07 @ 2:10 pm
Thank you guys so much for your help. This is a used car (first used car from Carmax) and im a little paranoid. lol

Looks like an idle of 500 RPM through 650/700 RPM is Normail.

Mensajes Thu 17 May 07 @ 5:45 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)