Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Amp/Speaker combos

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

chise1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy an amp and 2 speakers sometime in the next year and so I'm trying to do my homework before putting any cash down for anything.

I am fully aware that opinions about equipment can vary depending on everybody, but I'm just looking for equipment to go for, and equipment to stay away from. I don't have a budget set in mind yet, so here goes:

What would you recommend as a good amplifier/speaker combo for a bare bones system? Nothing fancy, just the basics, and being reliable.

A lower end system? Something with maybe a feature or two and perhaps better sound quality than the minimum system above.

A mid-grade system?

A high-end system?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Mensajes Wed 23 May 07 @ 2:21 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I recomend active/powered speakers, especially if you do not have a lot of exerience with amps/speakers/crossovers. If you are thinking to yourself "Man I really want speaker A but, all I can afford is speaker B" then wait until you can afford speaker A. Otherwise you are going to notice every flaw in speaker B. For the most bang for your buck, well save up some cash and then come back and ask questions, the way technology is changing in 9 months we are all going to be downsizing (in physical size, not performance) our stuff anyway. I hope this helps. T

Mensajes Wed 23 May 07 @ 3:28 am

Mensajes Wed 23 May 07 @ 3:43 am
honestly i need to know how unexpierienced u are because running powered speakers as mains aren't for me!

Mensajes Wed 23 May 07 @ 7:43 am
chise1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I am quite unexperienced. What would you suggest?

Mensajes Fri 25 May 07 @ 2:54 am
NO!!! NOT AGAIN!!! Do not do it Funk!!......lol

Mensajes Fri 25 May 07 @ 4:01 am
powered speakers all the way - not worrying about matching up the best combos, over powering and such... whats your budget?

value and still 450 total watts - Behringer B212a/B215a powered (difference is woofer size)

Musical clarity - Mackie SRM 350/450 but i actually think the sound is overrated to tell the truth)

Mensajes Fri 25 May 07 @ 6:54 am
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
i've run both systems as my mains- powered and passive

and i have to say, it only takes 5 minutes to learn about passive systems when talking to someone experienced- and it's worth it. you don't have to run power out to every single speaker (trust me this is a pain for long distances where i'd rather just run one speaker wire to a passive)

I am looking to sell my SRM450's as we speak. they thermal way too fast. i have had to put fans behind them... and i haven't even been peaking them. (and that's coupled with a sub too! so they've been crossed over and still thermal)

if you can find a pair of italian made SRM450's, I would say get them... but extremely hard to come by now. (they moved production to china and quality went down the drain)

however, i would suggest two yamaha s115v speakers coupled with an appropriate crown amplifier. I have bought nearly 5 sets of these speakers and every single one has been great- no lemons. excellent power handling (500w/1000w) and they're very very good for the price. excellent bang for your buck.

-Kedar

Mensajes Fri 25 May 07 @ 10:52 pm
I have had my SRM450s for two years now and have rarely been has happy with a purchase as I am with these speakers. Not once in all that time have they overheated. As to the power issue, you need to run a cord to the speaker from the amp, whats the big deal with running one for power too? But by all means do your homework, buy what you think is best, do not let anyone talk you out of what you want.

Mensajes Fri 25 May 07 @ 10:56 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)