Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Trade Show Results??? - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Yesterday I purchased a 10x10 Asisle booth at The Edmonton Bridal Expo coming this fall,

For any guys that have done this before, How has your results been? - I'm going to have My computer there, With just PC speakers and a second monitor - basically a scaled down version of the mobile rig.

Lots of Pictures of the Nightclub
The Youtube Videos I posted and Will be doing on the spot slideshows of people coming to the booth etc........

Will also have pics of the Full rig at a wedding I have booked Before the show.

This is going to be a ONE day only show - and I thought the booth was Quite expensive for just one day -Just over 1000.00 CDN.

This is also My little Mobile Companies "Grand Opening"

So Mobile Guys, Have Many of you done this?
How have the Results Been?
What kind of Setup did you use: Full blown, or Scaled down?
Did you get any deposits paid On the Spot?
Was it just a talk-up and call later thing?

Taking some Risks, Rolling the Dice, & Hoping I don't ruin my Credit rating.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 4:00 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
hope you have an exciting & prosperous show... best of luck

Tayla

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 4:35 pm
good luck Marcel . that's expensive .... expect tough competition. i know you are good , but you are new at mobilizing . the wedding business has some of the toughest competition ..... it's very ballsy what you are doing but you may find yourself bumping bellies with the big regional multi operator guys.....

having said that let's remember that the big regional multi operator guys started out like you and me and everybody else

they are all gonna have websites so get yourself one if need be and have your music database online where customers can browse it for requests ..........if you can swipe credit cards for deposits that would be good, get yourself some enthusiastic testimonials .......

memorize the following phrase ...... i may be able to squeeze you in on that date .......lol

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 4:47 pm
I never went as a DJ, but I did a few bridal expos for the photography company I worked for. I saw a lot of dj's there, including the guy we networked with, so I think I have good idea of what works and what doesn't. Our guy had a small setup, some photos, and tiny speakers. He shook a lot of hands, had a sign up etc. Wasn't very active. He never got a lot of jobs from the expos, and eventually stopped going to them. One of the other guys there got almost all of his wedding dj business through the expos. He had pole mounted twelves, and a sub hiding under his table. He or his partner were on the mic almost non-stop getting people worked up. They literally had bridezillas mauling them all day, dancing and signing up. I don't know how they do it in Edmonton, but here they lay it out in a one path that snakes around so you have to pass every booth to get to the end. Foot traffic flows from one end to the other and typically ends at a seating area for a fashion show, so you really only get one shot to impress the brides as they walk by. We were set up right across from them one time, and we heard some of the same songs quite a few times, but it didn't matter. Brides only heard it once. I wouldn't scale down, maximize your $1,000. Bring a sub, bring a lighting truss, get crazy : ) On the photo side we had a 'raffle' set up, but everyone was a winner. Its a good way to get the names of people you actually talk to. We would call them the following Monday, congrats, 10% off or whatever we felt like. Much higher closing percentage than the bulk list you get at the end, half of those people weren't even there. Good luck!

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 4:49 pm
what mills said was how they are sometimes ...... which reminds me .......like he said do what you can to grab attention also have a helper

as always it's about great music and friendly service ......try and get a list of killer songs that will literally stop them in there tracks and then approach you ........it's not strictly kids anymore either , real young teens , 20's 30's........ so be versatile in your approach and music

some of your competition will have video but many won't .......take your full rig and always run video/ slideshow/ camera feed/ visualizations ......maybe use a second computer for inputting your info for the customers you sign up .....make sure your helper is a very outgoing person with composure

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 5:06 pm
be careful about a raffle ..... it's good if done right .....for instance say "10% off your custom bridal package"
is not the same as "10% off" ...... so give them 10% off the sum of the various components price for entering the raffle ......give the winner 50% off ...... avoid comitting to dollar amounts for the total at the first conversation ........take large deposits ........

the worst thing you can do is NOT have the same modern conveniences as your competition....

you have time to get prepared .......right now is the big season do all you can before the expo

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 5:25 pm
Hey man, seeing that you're paying so much for the booth, do it right the first time..

I have done several wedding shows, and I learned alot.

First, brides are not impressed by the particulars of your system...

as long as it looks pretty, you're cool... they don't care if it's pioneer, gemini, or whatever!

Also, leave the software out of it... they don't care if you're djing with winamp... it's not important..

also, the Club stuff and the youtube stuff have no place at the wedding show... it does not pertain to wedding receptions, so it's actually going to be a distraction. don't use any non-wedding stuff... it's not the bar and nightclub show, it's the wedding reception show.

I wouldn't even show them...

you're going to have maybe 10 seconds to impress a bride before she walks away....

you have to rely on your appearance, and your personality to grab them, and maybe they'll ask you for more info...

concentrate on the most important info, make your booth eye catching, and be aggressive... go after the brides as they pass.

don't feel bad if they just grab a flyer and go... they've got a million vendors to visit, and many want to just keep moving!

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 5:37 pm
I have a small set up to begin with - a set of b-52 sub and satilites.

I have a priceing structure that's fairly easy - one price - onl;y extras are for retals on top of base equipment.

To my knowledege - no-one is doing video for mobile as of yet in edmonton.

I'll be the first.

I'm right by the conncession stands so I have a built in dancefloor. (planned it.)

I might do run in shifts - DJ for 30-60 min and then talk it up with anyone who stops.

who knows.

What I really was wondering about was - Does this crap get RESULTS???

It's costing me a lot of money And I'm hoping this pays off.

I have a couple of other avenues as well - but this is what I'm hopeing makes some short term gains.

The speaker system I was planning on using was a logitech 2.1 Pc system the loud little 60 watt ones with a sub. Was thinking of Cutting that one Corner because it's only one day.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 5:44 pm
Ok I have done a lot of these shows and the one thing that you will learn is: pick the shows that's going to fit your price range you quote... Many brides go to the trade shows but are not the there to make the final decision then. So if you present a sales pitch to 20 brides, you made get one to sign on spot. Of course this depends on your price range.

On June 29th and July 7th Im doing a wedding for these brides from the same expo. One signed on spot and the other called me within a month, both I booked at full price.

I personally like to have fun at these shows so I dance and kid around alot. I let people know that every DJ worth their salt should be doing the same thing. The thing that set me apart is the fact that I take care of the guest and make them feel at home. Then I go into how I go about this.

Sometimes I bring my daughter and we dance together in isle. This show how interact with small guest and my duaghter who is 7 is part of my business and she is the reason I do what I do. She is an employee that day. Get as many business cards from other vendors and email them as soon as possible and least once a month to keep your name in there head.

Try to get into their lives because they know your a dj and perhaps by your set up, you may be a good DJ but how much you care about their wedding is what's important to them.

Use your set up as ICING ON THE CAKE... Ask them to pick a general song and show them how fast you find this song... explain how this is important because to the "request" your guest will give and a lot of time the DJ has to be flexible on time schedules during the wedding. The bride may have a set time for an event but is having so much fun that you have to modify the schedule within seconds and still keep the party rockin. If your set up next to a photographer, bring them into the conversation by pointing the their booth and mention how much you keep in touch with photographer and other important vendors keep everyone on the same schedule... this lets them know your on top of the game and you have everything covered.

being that this is your first expo... your not going to remember to say every important thing about you..

Im not sure if that price is the going rate of the local expos but you should try to find expos that when you book a wedding it pays for itself and maybe get some profit from it...

Market yourself, Market yourself, Market yourself... you are the product - not your rig... bring help if possible even if they are there to stall the bride until you get to them.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 5:48 pm
Quote :
be careful about a raffle ..... it's good if done right .....for instance say "10% off your custom bridal package"
is not the same as "10% off" ...... so give them 10% off the sum of the various components price for entering the raffle ......give the winner 50% off ...... avoid comitting to dollar amounts for the total at the first conversation ........take large deposits ........

True, it is easy to go wrong here. The whole point of the way we did it was to be able to call everyone that signed up and say, congratulations, you won! It landed way more in office appointments than anything else.

Quote :
I might do run in shifts - DJ for 30-60 min and then talk it up with anyone who stops.

I wouldn't even worry about mixing. There might be one bride in the whole expo that actually cares. Just play rocking music and talk to as many people as you can.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 5:50 pm
Quote :

I wouldn't even worry about mixing.. You music could be coming from an ipod next to your rig and it would most likely have the same reaction.
When I MC an expo I try to keep my speekers as far away from me as possible... If you can't have a conversation with the bride then people might get the perception that your a loud DJ and walk right past you... Club the louder the better - wedding is for confirt and enjoyment.

yes, you may get off to a slow start but remember - all you need is a couple of weddings to get your foot in the door... I haven't published my business in two years.. it's all word of mouth now.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 6:21 pm
Make sure to bring a nice fabric or tablecloth to dress up your table. Use all of the real estate available spread your material out on the table make like a fan with your brochures and biz cards. Have literature on hand to give out. It's also good to bring a second person to help in case it gets busy, you would need to have a video or slide show with your company running on your laptop this will help atract potential customers. Alos ask the vendor for a list of everybody that attend - you should also make a list of everybody that came to your booth so you can do follow up mailings and calls.

GOOD LUCK!

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 7:14 pm
Do not worry about the music. Make a 30 min mix, and have it repeat. The music is background stuff, you need to be interactive. Once you have their attention, then you can go in to some of the particulars. The music should be pumping and exciting, but not loud. There is a difference. Plus, the other vendors will complain if you are too loud. You should be in a tux, with a formal shirt and tie, but not a bow tie, (I think they are dated, but could be wrong). Please have on a great pair of shoes. Nothing looks worse, then a tux with a pair of worn shoes. I would not worry about music videos for a wedding. Have you seen what's on these videos? I am not marketing videos for weddings, just a mention. I will do it, but personally think it's a little tacky.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 8:58 pm
i think AMaHM and Steve had some good advice .... you're gonna have about negative 3 seconds to make a good impression .....don't talk about your stuff .....in the mobile biz they expect you to have good stuff , but they don't understand and will get bored ......ANYTHING that has some cool factor is important , run a cool slideshow on the biggest monitor or screen that you can beg/borrow/steal while your music (looped) runs ....

if you can get them to stop and talk that's great .......

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 10:34 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
It will be well worth your time and money. I work two Bridal Fairs a year. I did 43 weddings last year, and have 45 on the books for this year, all booked at the bridal fairs. Just be outgoing! Do everything short of being obnoxious to get the brides attention. They are going to talk to other DJs, so set yourself above the others in attitude. Be positive, smile, and show off your best side, they are buying you as much as they are buying a DJ. I am sure after talking to you a few times that you will be fine. Just relax and have fun.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 10:58 pm
Well said Caveman!!!

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 11:35 pm
Well Gentlemen;

Thanks for all the advice and kind words. I'll need all the luck I can Manufacture.

No risk, No reward (I keep repeating that so I believe it)

Anybody else have any advise - keep me posted and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

If nothing else I'll have a whopping Capital loss to declare against my Taxes this year

To hell With you Mr Harper!!!!!!

LOL!!!

Mensajes Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 11:57 pm
try and do a mock setup before you get there and try and decorate your space to be eye catching to the brides

candy can work ......try to ask engaging questions to get a conversation started

Mensajes Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 4:35 am
@ fatkatz .....ptery is Oprah's favorite dj , although he did not invent the wheel, he did invent it's predecessor , the triangle ........

another extremely useful bit ... don't chase beaver during the expo .........

Mensajes Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 4:42 am
Just an amendum to this post.

I havn't been to the expo yet as it's in Sept.

but..........

I have my first - self booked, full paid wedding on the books.

First that's not a sub-contract

First that's Self-Sold!!!

First that I don't have to split the Fee.

Feels Damn good.

Anyone not out celebrating July the 4 or My fellow Canadians STILL celebrating Canada Day hoist a beer with me.

Mensajes Thu 05 Jul 07 @ 5:47 am
71%