Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: laptop to p.a amp connection

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

gainsyHome userMember since 2006
hi,i have my laptop connected to my p.a amp from the headphone output & i am getting a humming noise out of my speakers when i load a track,it is even there on playback which is annoying the hell out of me & is making me look unprofessional,i am new to computer dj'ing but have been a mobile dj for 15 years.
it has been recomended to me that i use a Edirol ua25 to connect,as it's £130 i would like to know if this will cure my problem?,or am i wasting my money? or is there anything better to use?
any help or advice would be much appreciated
i am running a compaq amd 64x2 laptop which is brand new
DJ Scoob

Mensajes Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 7:56 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
hi gainsy

not much good on tec side of things but i can say go down to your locol argos/computer store and pick up a creative sound blaster card plug the usb in to lappy other end into to the mixer, plug your headphone out into another channel on your mixer and bobs your aunty for around £20 or there abouts,
just make sure sound settings are right in configuration easy enough leave top one alone, chose headphones, below that choose 2 sound cards, in drop down windows choose usb device, next one choose lappy sound card, should cure your problem if i've explained it right if not one of the guys will keep us right...

Tayla

Mensajes Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 8:49 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
Sounds like some sort of earthing problem to me. Check all your earth cables. If you have decks you will nedd to earth these to something as well like your mixer or amp or both

Mensajes Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 9:27 pm
gainsyHome userMember since 2006
many thanks to all

Mensajes Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 10:33 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
I take it its working

Mensajes Sat 16 Jun 07 @ 12:42 am
Hey everyone,
I know it's been a while since this particular question was commented on, but this is a problem that is becoming more and more common. The noise myself and my colleagues have been dealing with occur when the AC power adapter is plugged in the laptop. The solution is a noise suppressor much like they use in automobiles to eliminate noise problems. I bought a 20 amp noise suppressor at my local DJ supply store, but I imagine you could find it anywhere online. Hope this helps..

Mensajes Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 7:48 am
DjWishPRO InfinityMember since 2004
just cut the ground pin of your laptop plug or buy and adaptor for it!!

Mensajes Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 4:13 am
khardsPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I had the same problem, here is how to fix it.

1) Get a standard 3 pin plug.
2) Connect a wire to the Ground pin (top pin, green / yellow)
3) Connect this to an earth point on your laptop.

Earth connections on laptops are hard to find so I have a modified external monitor connector. There is a screw terminal here which will be earthed.

Serial ports are also grounded.

USB PORTS DO NOT CONNECT DIRECTLY TO GROUND. not a good place to connect.

Mensajes Wed 11 Jul 07 @ 10:23 am
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I wouldn't cut the ground pin from the laptop's ac adapter. Instead, purchase a ground loop isolator. Get the kind that allows you to plug your laptop's ac adapter to it. I have one at home, but I am currently at work. I'll add a post from home with the brand that I use.

Mensajes Wed 11 Jul 07 @ 10:59 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Mensajes Wed 11 Jul 07 @ 5:16 pm
Hi Gainsy ,
i take it you are in the UK. Maplins sell these ground loop isolators , you need 2 of these , as already said they go between your soundcard outputs and ch 1 and ch2 of your mixer. i have these and they work a treat, think i paid about £ 6 each for them .

Mensajes Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 7:28 pm
Just read you are using the headphone output on your laptop , in this case you only need one.
To be honest with you the way you got yours connected is ok but you would get a far superior sound quality if you were to use a 5.1 soundcard going to an external mixer , i use a Gigaport to a Gemini 4 channel mixer , ch1 and ch2 for VDJ ch3 and ch4 for a cd mixer as a back up. The humming problem is mainly caused by the signal out of your laptop going to your amp being unbalanced, if you use an external mixer , you would use XLR leads to connect mixer to amp which are normally balanced cables.

Mensajes Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 7:40 pm
laptop to a power amp your going to blow the motherboard out, just get a 4 channel mixer from guitar center!!!!

Mensajes Mon 16 Jul 07 @ 3:21 am
i had this problem but after reading the resolutions found in the forums i managed to solve it a different way

i went to all the stores around town and nobody had a the isolator - i read that you could cut the ground prong off but i didnt want to do that - i bought a double adapter and cut the grounding off that - i fired everything up and the humm was gone!

one question tho - is this safe? its plugged into a surge protector but hope i dont fry my system of something!

Mensajes Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 4:26 am
chansinPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I think there is an easier solution. Below is a link for a 3 to2 prong adaptor. If your laptop has a 3 prong power cord just put it on the end and that should fix your problem. The next option if that does not work is to put this adaptor on the first place your power comes from the wall. I would definitely try the laptop first. Another good check is to just unplug the power from the back of the laptop so that it is running on the battery. If you loose the hum then that is your problem, just place the adaptor on and go. Let us know how it works.

Mensajes Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 3:09 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)