Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: MacBook ---> HOT! *Long gig experience*

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
Ok, so I just did my first "long" gig with VV and videos. (about 6 1/2 hours, running .VOB only)
I'm using a MacBook (Black) with Core2Duo 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 160HD + LaCie 320GB external.
Here's the deal:

First of all, I think vinyl control and general performance of the software is great! And, this was my first gig using only .VOB files, which also worked perfectly, no flicker or artifacts at all. Most videos ripped with RipDVD(Atomix) and some ripped with MacTheRipper.
All worked perfectly.

However, what did not perform as I had wished was my MacBook.
Everything seemed to run fine, untill about 2 1/2-3 hours into the gig, where the screen on my MB and the output just "froze". I was a bit worried at first, but the vinyl control and sound still worked perfectly so I was able to mix my next track flawlessly.

Then, I opende iStat in my Dashboard app. and checked the temperature and what do you know: 82 degrees celsius (Aprox 180 degrees Fahrenheit)!!!
I instantly lifted my MacBook in the air with a to-finger grip and waited and watched the temperate drop. When it dropped below 73 C, VV started working again. (Just in time for my to browse for, and play the next track..hehe)

I found a cardboard box to put my MB on, and used SMC Fancontrol to run the fans at 6200RPM constantly.
This helped for a while, but I soon discovered that it would freeze again.

A also found out that the reason it freezes is that the processor seems to "max-out" when playing 1 video and loading/cue the other one. As soon as 1 video run by itself, temp. seems to drop and be stable at around 66-68 deg, but as soon as I load a new video or start cueing or scratching on the other deck the temp. jumps to 73-75 (and probably would have continued upwards untill freeze..)

It was quite hot that night, and a long gig so that has to take some of the blame, but I was quite disappointed that my Mac couldn't handle it.
One the other hand, I have to give credit to Atomix/Apple for making the app. still run, even it the computer was overloading due to heat.
The only way to see that my Mac was doing something "wrong" was to look at the screen.
Audio and vinyl control was perfect throughout the entire night.

I also have to mention that this is the first time something like this has happened, and I've done plenty of video gigs so far. And Audio-only seems to barely do anything to the processor and temp.

So, I guess I'll be buying an iLAP to cool my MAC at video gigs. Or do anyone else have any suggestions for "cooling-products " for the MAC? Preferably something with fans on it??
ConQuest??

Oh, and running fancontrol at full speed from the start of a gig is now mandatory..hehe

BTW, a MacBook PRO is all of a sudden starting to seems more and more tempting..hehe

Mensajes Mon 18 Jun 07 @ 8:20 am

overheated laptops are the biggest challenge one gets with djing digitally....

Never place your laptop straight down on a desk, but elevate it so that it has free air, sometimes just a small block or something at the backend, to lift the fan a bit from the desk.

Also, the heat fan is notorious for collecting dust, so blow away the dust blocking the fan before gig.

VDJ does max the cpu at video load, but that only last for a few seconds:)

So the main reason is the macbook pro itself. I can run gigs at 6-7 hours fine with my laptop, but I always make sure it has free air to the fan, and blow away dust that might have been collected at the fan grid before the gig :)

Hope that helps

Mensajes Mon 18 Jun 07 @ 8:52 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Yes even if it's a MAC, a computer will always be a computer ;-)

NB:
You can test the option "Speed Load" too in
/Users/{username}/Library/Preferences/com.atomixproductions.virtualdj.plist

If the value=0, it will protect the quality video on the screen from big use of CPU during loading (default mode)
If the value=1, it will load the video without taking care of the quality of the video on the screen
[In this case, you need a powerfull processor and graphics card]

Mensajes Mon 18 Jun 07 @ 12:09 pm
that's a nice suggestion cel...
I actually set mine at 1, just to make videos load faster.
I guess I have to live with "slow" load just to make sure it doesn't get to hot again...
;)

Mensajes Mon 18 Jun 07 @ 9:48 pm
Yeah, you should always either have your computer elevated or sitting on a cooling fan. When I first started djing with my computer I learned this the hard and embarressing way. (Computer froze and music stopped).

check out the icurve 2. It's what I use for my mac pro and I never have an issue with overheating. It also dissembles so you can throw it in your dj bag.

Mensajes Wed 20 Jun 07 @ 12:07 am
I just ordered one of these badboys!
It's an aluminium notebook cooler with 2x USB powered fans and a hub.
Hopefully it will work wonders.
The good think about it is that it was quite cheap as well ;)

Mensajes Wed 20 Jun 07 @ 12:27 am
Donnie Blaze wrote :
Yeah, you should always either have your computer elevated or sitting on a cooling fan. When I first started djing with my computer I learned this the hard and embarressing way. (Computer froze and music stopped).

check out the icurve 2. It's what I use for my mac pro and I never have an issue with overheating. It also dissembles so you can throw it in your dj bag.

The Elevator :: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?spart=TK651LL%2FA

Mensajes Wed 20 Jun 07 @ 4:38 am
Just wanted to share some new experience on this topic.
I just did a long video gig again this weekend, but now I used my new notebook cooler. And the difference was amazing. I mixed video back to back all night with an average CPU temp of 59 degress(compared to 77-80 degrees without the cooler)
My "peak" temperature was 67 degress when beatjuggelig two videos which were both loading at the same time I was doing the juggeling...
This means my MacBook works great with videos afterall. No probs, what so ever, just an amazed crowd who had never seen videos scratched by a turntable before ;)

Mensajes Mon 16 Jul 07 @ 1:15 am

Yeah, those Griffin stands work great.

I'm still using my "iCurve" (The Elevators' predecessor) that I bought back in 2003 and has proven to be invaluable.

I think I'm gonna upgrade to the Elevator though because it folds up nicely.

Just keep these notebooks cool regardless of how or what you use. =)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Mensajes Mon 16 Jul 07 @ 1:58 am
Actually, I'm using an Akasa notebook stand with built in fans.(USB powered, with hub)
You can find these badboys at www.akasa.co.uk

Mensajes Mon 16 Jul 07 @ 3:06 am
ConQuest wrote :

Yeah, those Griffin stands work great.

I'm still using my "iCurve" (The Elevators' predecessor) that I bought back in 2003 and has proven to be invaluable.

I think I'm gonna upgrade to the Elevator though because it folds up nicely.

Just keep these notebooks cool regardless of how or what you use. =)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Yeah I still have the iCurve also. My brother uses the Elevator. It is def nice. You can take it apart and slide it in your record bag.

Mensajes Mon 16 Jul 07 @ 5:21 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)