Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: How much are average djs paid in uk

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi,
I recently moved to the Uk and got a job djin' two nights in Bradford.I was jujst wondering how much dj's are normarly paid in night clubs per night or session.
The club is offering me 60 pounds per night which I think is not even near enough for a dj.I dj Hip hop and R n b and I've really gathered a large crowd of about 200 that keeps coming back.Just wondering what I deserve to get

Mensajes Sun 01 Jul 07 @ 2:41 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
how many hours do you work?

Tayla

Mensajes Sun 01 Jul 07 @ 2:45 pm
they will pay you as little as they can get away with.

If pushed they will pay you what your worth - if your pulling in a big crowd and hence bringing in money for the club, ask for more - if they won't pay go to a rival club that will

Mensajes Sun 01 Jul 07 @ 2:48 pm
Well there is no order of hours that I work.
They expect me to set up at 9:30 and finish at 4:00 am.
They have other dj's but I am like the main Dj during my nights and the owner makes as to interchange whenever he feels like.
He even goes to the extent of trying to play his own cd's when the crowd has build up and spoils everything then asks the other dj to come in.
Any way as being there for that long I think I need to set up a time that am playing and for how long I should play.But I still think that I deserve more.
I was even thinking of mixing videos but that will be like doing voluntary work which am not good at.
By the way;How much are video dj's paid?

Mensajes Sun 01 Jul 07 @ 2:58 pm
the average you should be looking at is round about thirty pounds an hour for a four hour shift before 12 midnight more per hour afterwards, tell them about the costs you incur ie:- your gear if you don't use the bars, music, travel and any licenses (ppl) etc, also try and find out what the local going rate is.

Tayla

Mensajes Sun 01 Jul 07 @ 2:58 pm
henry

just read the above depending on how much you want this job, tell him to get stuffed or you want a hefty pay rise before you do any more work for him. you want a minimum of at least 150 pounds and thats on the low side

Tayla

Mensajes Sun 01 Jul 07 @ 3:04 pm
The Djs in other clubs are radio dj's from galaxy fm and they are really shit compared to the rookies that are just starting.I think they are paid about 200-300 a night but all they do is start stop songs no offence but anyone can do what they are doing if they were given their play list.Most of the djsn that I know are paid 50 pounds an hour and they interchange in different clubs at the same night so they end up getting about 150 a night.But they are drum and bass djs who are told what to play.I dont think that can work for a hip hop dj.

Mensajes Sun 01 Jul 07 @ 3:10 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Most DJ'ing isn't about talent, it's about having the ability to be proffesional whilst having your finger on the trigger.

I work for the biggest nightclub (company) in the area, they pay very well and give DJ's (including me) a hard time to earn that money, even if the clubs jumping to your mix they can come down hard on you and ask you to change the style, these are managers who don't even know what's in the charts, I play to them because the money is more important to me than my credibility as a DJ, simuarly they don't know anything about mixing music, all they know is whether they like the vibe and variation in music, for them it's more important that the volume level is correct than whether two beats are off or on time.

I used to be the same, "anyone can push play when the song ends, that doesn't require talent", exactly my arguement, but now I know that DJ'ing doesn't require talent, talent is a personal expression appreciated by the few and not the many (it has limited arenas), I love mixing and that's what makes me feel good, playing music people know and love, whilst presenting it in a mix that non of my competitors can.., but that's pleasing myself, I don't do much mixing at the club now because it's not appreciated, they want to here radio edit after radio edit the way they've always heard it, and I'm happy to do it that way because I'm making money whilst a lot of the DJ's I know aren't, and they are those who talk too much about talent.

Mensajes Mon 02 Jul 07 @ 1:17 am
Hi,

I think Bagpuss makes some good points, and after all, he's got a good job doing this!

I think £60 per night is a bit below average, but it depends on the part of the country and also on the night. I get £60 for a monday night (10pm-2am). I would ask for more, but I know they can be pretty hit and miss because it's a fairly small town. They do a thing though, where if the bar takes over a certain amount, then I get an extra £20.

If it was me in that situation, I'd concentrate on trying to use that as a springboard for other work. At the moment you're playing with a whole group of other people (I guess they all get £60 as well?), even the manager jumping on the decks. From a commercial point of view, I would have thought that working in a group could look slightly unprofessional (like you've just brought all your mates along). If you can go to other venues saying that you play at this other place and have a following, then you might be able to get yourself somewhere else, just you, so you get all the money. Also, the fact that you've got a proven track record in the other place could give you leverage to negotiate on the money.

By the way, the above doesn't apply if you're doing some kind of experemental group performance / hip hop collective (eg cold cut) thing going on. That would be a completely different kettle of fish!

Mensajes Mon 02 Jul 07 @ 2:01 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)