Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Fundraisers / Charity Events

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Do you think it is worth doing these events to gain business and get exposure for yourself.

I have been approached to do a fundraising event for breast cancer society and they want a free dj. I dont know if its worth it??

Mensajes Sun 22 Jul 07 @ 11:29 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Oh boy here we go again....lol. I donate services three to four times a year..I see nothing wrong for situations like this. There are going to be people who tell you to always charge. Try this, get a contract stating you want your equipment covered in case of damage and you will charge no fee. That way if something bad does happen you are not out of pocket any money, and you are still giving back to the community.

Mensajes Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 12:17 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
do it man help save the world ect :)

Mensajes Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 12:36 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Yes, it is good thing to do if you have free time. I plan to do something similar in the future to educate people that there is some other music than our stupid domestic one in Serbia.

Mensajes Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 12:51 am
Thanks for the info, I will do the event for free no biggie. I have time on my hands.

Mensajes Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 1:21 am
Im the same as you Alf, im thinking of introducing our hole of a town to some real music :P

Mensajes Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 1:29 am
Go get em Turbo :)

Mensajes Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 1:56 am
Go get em Alf :)

Mensajes Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:52 am
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
For something as important as cancer I would do it but...
I would do it for a small fee then donate the money back to them and get the tax right-off.

Mensajes Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 9:28 am
Good thinking Kreg ;)
As long as it is fun :)

Mensajes Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 11:49 am
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I always ask the organiser if their time is free also or are they getting paid. If they are being paid for it then why should they expect you to be free.

Mensajes Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 12:59 pm
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what does it matter if some organizer is getting paid or not ????

i do charitable stuff and wish i had more impact for the cause that's all ...... just find a way to do some good , just cuz it's needed ......... every thing else is incidental if you really wanna help

i'm actually trying to get away from doing events

for years now i have been giving away a Christmas 2 disc compilation just to be nice ...... plus do some events

it isn't legal actually strictly speaking but i just make as many as i can (of the discs ) and give away to shut ins and elderly .... it's not shared on limewire or anything ...... I don't expect judge Judy to lock me up anytime soon .................................. but i recently realized if i could get a lawyer to help me get the licenses to make it all legal then i could sell the discs and give 100% to the hospital i support ...... so right now i am trying to find a lawyer with a conscience ?(if any )(99% give the 1% a bad name) to get this done pro bono , then get the hospital to sign off and officially sanction the sale and the discs then get a disc duplication company to do the disc duplication and artwork ..... all the good people involved work for free and get a mention in the liner notes and maybe even at the hospital's commercials and website ...... develop a network of stores to sell them ..........it's a lotta work but it could be more effective than an event or two ........

anybody know a lawyer that might help a cause pro bono lemme know ...... in the meantime i will be trying to get some help from the breast cancer event people that i know

is it about you and getting some limelight or is it about helping the cause , just pick anything and then " do more than just care "

Mensajes Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 3:21 am
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I just meant alot of organisers are quite aggressive/demanding/expecting you to drop everything for their cause when they are getting good money in their work already. The organisers that get paid to do fundraising events as a job have you ever asked them personally if they donate extra? Example if you ask someone to donate also the amount of cash that you will be out of pocket for not working that night most organisers would not be so willing to do so.

I happily donate my time to a good cause but I just wanted to say check first that the money is actually going to be used wisely not just to make people feel better. Ive seen a few charities where when you look at the fine print less than 20% of the profits actually get dontated and I think thats unnaceptable.

Good luck with the cd's. I think all music should be free use fundraising for health or education.

Mensajes Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 8:15 am
I am very pro charity. I have often supported charities in by working as a volunteer, fundraising with raffles and games etc at my regular gigs, etc etc

But think of this on another way: -

If you are a professional DJ who is trying to make a modest living and keep his family going you might not be able to afford to lose the money you could make doing a regular gig. Don't forget that charities often have large staffs of people who have secure jobs with pensions and they are often earning more than you.

I've actually come across quite a few charities who pay DJs/MCs because they understand that they need a pro to do a good job.

But years ago I did a charity St Patricks night at an Irish Club (free of charge) and found out later that the money was going to buy all the old guys that ran the club trips to the coast and free beer. Worse still they didn't invite me!!

Mensajes Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 10:59 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)