Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Tema: Variable Auto-gain

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
At the moment, I'm using the "Always 0dB" setting in Auto-gain, and it works OK for most of the time.
But every so often I run into tracks that are distorting at 0dB.

Wouldn't it be nice if VDJ had a selectable gain range? Then you could set an preferred "Always" level, i.e "Always -3dB"
You could then make up for the gain on your mixer instead which quite frankly would sound better.

Mensajes Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 12:09 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
the temporary solution for this, which i use for nearly two years now, is to set the auto-gain to "always the same" and then, the first track that you load, you put the gain at -2 or -3dB

i think the best solution would be to edit this feature in the registry, so that the config window wouldn't be too full.

Mensajes Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 9:38 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I already asked for this and improvement of Autogain.

Mensajes Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 6:39 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It's not bad to adapt the gain of the mp3 before using it (I use mp3gain which is free & easy to use).

Mensajes Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 10:07 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I also gain all my tracks but the problem is that Autogain is lowering or turning up some tracks more than it should.

Mensajes Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 4:45 pm
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
yeah, that's exactly my point...I want to have a constant threshold output from VDJ and make up the gain on my mixer. The "Always 0dB" does this exactly, but it would be nice to have other dB settings as well like -1, -2 and -3dB. (I think that should do it for most parts...)
Since "Always 0dB" is already implemented in the software I don't think other values should be to hard to add...

Mensajes Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 6:04 am
MumpiPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I think since "Always 0db" works most of the time and we all see only a few tracks not matching in there, it would be a nice idea to add a field to the tags where one can specify the level of how far from "Always 0db" this track should be gained up or down.

Implementing replaygain would also be an option, since replaygain seems to be much more accurate.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_Gain

Mensajes Thu 11 Oct 07 @ 10:40 pm
Just a couple of brief notes about mp3's and their gain. Many mp3's especially in the dance music world are not engineered or mastered properly. Far too often bedroom producers are doing their own mastering with far too much compression and distortion. Also, many of the mp3 web-sites were we download from often compress the songs again. As a result sometimes you end up with a mp3 with sound qualities that are not dynamic at all and very 'flat'. Unfortunately, if that 'flat' sound has been clipped from the original production you can never get rid of that distortion, no matter what level you set for the auto-gain.

Mensajes Thu 18 Oct 07 @ 6:23 pm
wsherrington wrote :
Just a couple of brief notes about mp3's and their gain. Many mp3's especially in the dance music world are not engineered or mastered properly. Far too often bedroom producers are doing their own mastering with far too much compression and distortion. Also, many of the mp3 web-sites were we download from often compress the songs again. As a result sometimes you end up with a mp3 with sound qualities that are not dynamic at all and very 'flat'. Unfortunately, if that 'flat' sound has been clipped from the original production you can never get rid of that distortion, no matter what level you set for the auto-gain.

True, but has nothing to do with the topic !!!

Mensajes Thu 18 Oct 07 @ 8:17 pm
"True, but has nothing to do with the topic !!!"

Just trying to offer a bit of insight as to why some folks are having difficulties no matter what setting they are using.

Mensajes Fri 19 Oct 07 @ 9:07 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
wsherrington wrote :

Just trying to offer a bit of insight as to why some folks are having difficulties no matter what setting they are using.

exactly... it has to do with the topic !!

Mensajes Fri 19 Oct 07 @ 9:43 am
apopsis wrote :
wsherrington wrote :

exactly... it has to do with the topic !!

Yes, you are right, I understood it differently puuting my POV to the distortion ... but you meant that less dynamic (flatened) songs are more lound overall since the original dynamic is lost. That is true.

I should have read better ;)

SORRY

Mensajes Sat 20 Oct 07 @ 1:27 pm
kaoz99PRO InfinityMember since 2006
wsherrington wrote :

Also remember when u convert a CD which is in wav format to mp3.. just because it looks ok in your audio program, once u save it it will compress. when u play the mp3 it will uncompress which means it may clip or distort or over modulate depending on how the original recording was masterted.. All my mp3's are mastered at 90% using Adobe Audition v2... i try to keep a constant level on all my tracks that way i know roughly they will be at the same gain (sometimes) hehe

Cheers
Kaoz

Mensajes Tue 06 Nov 07 @ 8:33 am
and here i thought this was a feature offered by megaseg you were interested in

Mensajes Tue 06 Nov 07 @ 9:18 am
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
I find that even at always 0 my sound gets distored. I much prefer to use -5. I would love to fix the setting to this

Mensajes Tue 06 Nov 07 @ 10:53 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)