Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: Mixing Hip Hop / RnB / Dance / Pop

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Thought I'd post something up here on how to mix something more then just Techno / House. Since most of the Beat Mixing guides are geared toward the 4 to the floor mixing.

A little about myself :
-----------------------
Canadian DJ, currently just working parties, weddings, events when I can. Id do this for free if they wasn't any gigs, but then id never be able to afford the equipment. I play any and all music. Im training to be the next Z-Trip Mash-up DJ, but still a long way to go. Started off as a scratch DJ, now trying to master mixing... cheating a lil by using VDJ haha.
-----------------------

Stage 1 : Beat Matching

Note : If you can't beat match with Techno or House... don't bother trying to jump into Hip Hop. It's like trying to play \"Stairway to Heaven\" when you can't play \"Smoke on the Water\" on the guitar. Nothing against the genre, a personal fav, just it was meant to be mixed by DJs and the breakdowns are much more emphasized in the vinyl and on VDJ.

There's a few key points for Beat Matching :

Tempo Match :

It's much harder to find the tempo on a hip hop song. there's no kick drum on every beat (the big peak in the display) and songs will throw alot more curve balls at you then you might think. best is to start with simpler hip hop, example : anything by A Tribe Called Quest. They're easier to mix, they commonly have a strong first beat and if you're good at mixing you'll be able to adapt easier to tribe. plus they're sick. with VDJ you just gotta press the sync button as per usual. but hip hop will throw you a curve even there. You've gotta get your BPM's and CBG right 100%. LISTEN TO YOUR MIX before you give'r. especially with hip hop even if you think its in sync you could be wrong, and you get a train wreck. So..... get your BPMs and CBGs right before your gig. I've got 1000s of hip hop songs so its a pain to do everyone. but if ythe newest Rihanna song isn\'t perfect, then it\'s gonna sound like crap when you mix it. Get those BPMs right. There's a tutorial here :

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/2509/Mix_lessons/Find_the_exact_BPM_of_you_favorite_song.html
- by Fruit

When you get the tempo right, you\'re not out of the woods at all.

Phrase Match :

Probably the most important thing for mixing hip hop, its phrase matching. And there\'s not much you can do to learn this other then feel the song. You\'ve gotta be able to hear the song and tell when a phrase starts and ends. Usually its a 8 bar phrase that is looped over and over as the main melody. Easiest way to get a phrase is make an 8 bar or 16 bar loop in the chorus. if all of the rapping/melody/singing comes at the beginning of your loop, then you\'ve found the beginning of the phrase, if everything seems to end at the end of the loop, then the phrase ends then. sometimes rappers will start a bit before a phrase, a piss off for mixing. but anyways. when you get a phrase, you gotta keep track of it. so when you\'re mixing in/out of a song you need to match the beginning/end of these phrases together. This will make your mixes 100% better so make sure your cue points start at the beginning of a phrase! your entry AND exit. sometimes when tempos match and the mix still sounds like crap its because your phrases aren\'t matched. the emphasis on the first part of the bar is split, so you\'ll get this double emphasis going... hard to explain unless you do this explicitly in your mix. The CBG things will find bars for you, not phrases. so don\'t assume just because your thick/skinny lines are matched up it makes the thing phrase matched. Just practice getting this right and you\'ll be set for hip hop. Start simple (tribe called quest) and then evolve up to something bigger. You\'ll notice some snags along the way tho, like two songs that are tempo matched and phrase matched yet it still sounds like crap. next section.

Clashes :

Key Clashes are the most common, since if you know anything about scales/keys (played an instrument?) there are alot of keys : major, minor for every key sharb and flat on the scale. according to camelot there\'s 24 possible keys a song can be in. and each song can properly mix with 4 out of those 24 keys. so that means if you selected another song at random, there\'s only a 1/6 chance its actually gonna work... sheet. there\'s ways to fudge this of course. One would be mix only thru non-melody sections. but most hip hop and dance don\'t have obvious sections of just drum. so you\'ve gotta be clever. one obvious section is the beastie boys \"let the beat mmmm.... DROP\" and then playing the next song, and cutting the beastie tune. not alot of tunes have this obvious outro tho... so if you can find them then more power to you. these are great for quickly switching BPMs and Keys without the floor knowing.

Drum Clashes happen almost just as often in hip hop. its when you\'re in key, you\'ve got the tempo matched, and you\'ve got the phrases in tune... then it doesn\'t match. piss off. best way to avoid this is to predict. don\'t assume the next song is gonna work perfect even if your Key/BPM is exactly the same. Have some other options. Have you\'re easy mixes ready. One way to fudge this is to but the Bass or fiddle with the EQ. its pretty simple. cut the bass of either the tune coming in or out, then mix. It fudges out some of the kicks. It doesn\'t work always though. And don\'t use this too often. fudging the bass too long and people realise the song sounds high-pitch and crappy.

Stage 2 : Cueing

I know i said phrase matching is the most, but this maybe even more. really for all genres of music. you know when theres that dj that can\'t even beatmatch goes up and plays rihanna, gwen stefani and fergie for 3 hours and everyone thinks he\'s the dopest when clearly he has no skill? he has more skill at cueing then you do. and sound selection i guess, but who honestly wants to play top 40 for 3 hours? Cueing hip hop will make your mixes sound professional and get the crowd jumping. and best of all if you can do this right you really don\'t have to worry about any of the above! dancers will go nuts just because you\'re playing the right song at the right time. Ex. you\'re in a complete rut. You\'ve rushed upto 150BPM and you\'ve got no decent songs that remotely mix into this song. it\'s got 1 minute left and clearly people have had enough of dancing to this techno crap. what do you do? Brake your turntable and press play on \"Touch the Sky\" by Kanye West. the crowd goes wild despite the fact that you jumped key, drums, bpm. you just chose a good song right? nah. you chose the right moment. with techno its pretty easy to mix out of breakdowns at any time. plus the brake completely demolished any chance of a professional sounding mix. Touch the sky however starts off with a bang. It has a memorable riff that everyone knows right off the bat. If you chose something like a underground MF Doom track that no one knows, people would be confused and pissed. plus you probably just started the MF Doom track at the beginning. You\'ve gotta find that sweet spot to cue into that only some songs have. Most of the Top 40 will have it, that first drum hit that starts the memorable riff. Techno won\'t because they take like 2 minutes just to build up to the memorable riff and if you cut into this section, it usually sounds unfinished. So with that Top 40 hit : cue in to the sweet spot (make sure its the start of a phrase!) and really just press play... you\'ll sound great and everyone will go nuts for your amazing \"pressing play\" skills. Of course you can use timecodes like me and make that a little more memorable and even scratch in a bit of the tune before it happens but it\'s all up to you. Do this too much and i\'d call you a human jukebox. But who cares what other djs say anyways... you\'re not playing for them.

Mixing out of Hip hop is the same dilemma. Finding that sweet spot to jump out of is just as important. So when you\'ve found that cue entry point and are waiting for a minute to start the track, take the time to find a sick exit point that you can cut out of. It will save you alot of time and make your mixes sound better. Getting the cue points right is even more important in Hip hop. When you listen to your tunes listen for little breaks in the rapping/beat that you can use to cut out of. Listen for a long pause. Most of them are found right after the chorus.

Stage 3 : Mixing

There are really 2 Types of Mixes you can do in any genre :

Mix or Cut. Both can be either Beat matched or not, depending on your situation and how good your entry/exit points are in each song.

So here\'s the summary of how to mix :

1. Beatmatch (you should have done most of this work before your set!)
2. Phrase Match
3. Preview (could they mix? check for clashes)
4. Get Start Cue Point (does it work with my other deck\'s exit point?)
5. Get Exit Cue Point (how can i mix out? Quickly/Slowly? do i need to beatmatch?)
6. If all went to plan above, Mix!
7. Loop

When you get better and know better about your tunes the above will work almost every time. instinctively you\'ll find tunes that work together. If everything matches (key, drum, tempo) you\'ll be able to mix very tightly. Letting songs play for 1-2 minutes is a tough gig with hip hop. You\'ll need to plan far ahead and get the Keys & Drums exactly right. But if you\'re DJing by the seat of your pants (playing songs almost completely randomly) you\'ll have to opt for the above strategy, and you won\'t be able to mix out every 2 minutes. Always try to have a good running order in your head and write down/memorize songs that you know work well together.

If you run into some problems beatmatching :
To start you can use some techniques :
- Loop the deck coming in to a smaller loop so that the drums do match (still need to start at the end of a phrase) then just fade out the other
- Loop the deck going out smaller and smaller then cut to the new song... this CAN sound cool just do this quickly, it works better with techno then hip hop... and make sure the next song is at a sweet point.
- Backspin/Break/LoopOut the other deck
(practice, practice, practice... this will save your life at the club but you gotta sound pro or else people will think you can\'t mix.
easiest if tempos are on but there\'s a clash somewhere. PHRASE MATCH!)
- Scratch the new beat coming in (timecodes, dont bother with your mouse you look like a tool) then cut the left side out as soon as you let go
(great for sounding pro when clearly you suck at mixing. just make sure you practice! and only scratch in on the ending/beginning of a phrase!)
- Fudge the EQ, check the earphones to see if the EQ will actually kill the drums/vocals as you want. THEN fudge. make sure you reset your EQ
before moving on.
- Cut in, just press play on the new track and fade/cut the old track out, depending on the exit point you found
(essential to have a strong entry point... or else people won\'t like this. usually just play something you KNOW the dancefloor will love)

Other techniques are pretty much cheating, but work just as well. If you find yourself in a rut, play a sweet premix you made in MixMeister or VDJ. any djs in the room will know you\'re cheating, but again.. you\'re not playing for them. The crowd may hear a crappy mix into the premix, but you\'ll wow them with all the premixes to follow so much that they won\'t remember. This will give you a chance to get your act together. select some songs for after and relax.

I also find with Hip Hop, Top 40, Dance, Pop that the crowd\'s reception of you is 90% on your song selection and 10% on your skills. In club settings it will be more offset, but really at the end of the day people are there to dance, not to watch and critique you. Don\'t sweat the small stuff and don\'t freak if you mess up a mix... cuz really... its surprising how little people care haha. As long as you\'re playing some sick tunes you\'ll be fine.

DONE.

If you have comments, suggestions, post. or if you know of some other techniques for mixing or techniques for dealing with the unmixable please post, we'd all benefit.

Mensajes Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 9:47 pm
Damn... I was just putting together the same info. Nice work!!!

Mensajes Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 11:10 pm
This might help as well.

Tutorial video Made some months ago.

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 2:31 am
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
What would help us new users more is if some of you guys would take the time to listen to some mixes and give us feedback.

Here is a 40 minute one I put together a couple of weeks back. I know the last tune is fudged because the MK 2 was being tempremental.

Track Listing

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L9F02R8M

Changes (Vocal Club Mix) : Chris Lake feat Laura V
Get Down (In My House) (Peter Presta Tribal Anthem Mix) : Peter Presta
Sexual Healing (Freemasons Mix) : Alibi vs Rokerfeller
Trippin on Sunshine : (Playboys Fully Loaded Mix) : Pizzaman
Where is Osama (Apple Jax Vocal Mix) : Peter Presta Project
We Got Him : Apple Jax SF Mix) : Peter Presta Project
Hooked : (Nik Denton remix) : 99th Floor Elevators
Keep Moving On : Suparcupa

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 1:14 pm
fatkatzdj wrote :
Damn... I was just putting together the same info. Nice work!!!

Feel free to post your mixing info in the Club Mixing thread fatkatzdj.

OO

Btw. Thanks for the mixing info DJTeflon!

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 5:10 pm
Marcel, in your video you tell users to ignore those little squares since they're wrong most of the time... those little squares are called CBGs and are actually quite useful. If they are normally wrong on your songs you should adjust them by following the guide here http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/13841/Mix_lessons/BPM_and_CBG_alignment_Tutorial.html?highlight=CBG

having the CBGs properly placed will mean you have the proper bpms listed and will make your loops and long mixes flawless. Don't tell users something is useless if you don't use the features. All the features of VDJ has been asked by other users for they're own reasons and we're still adding more every update.

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 7:15 pm
Perhaps I could have worded it differently - but Then Again I don't use them.

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 11:24 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Also I would recommend to everyone not to punch your mic. I agree the that the Shure SM58 is a tough piece of equipment, and an industry standard for over 30 years. That being said hitting, punching, dropping or otherwise intentionally causing ANY microphone shock is a bad idea. The diaphragms inside could become easily damaged, they were not designed for that sort of treatment.

Mensajes Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 12:47 am
kaoz99PRO InfinityMember since 2006
DJTeflon wrote :
Thought I'd post something up here on how to mix something more then just Techno / House. Since most of the Beat Mixing guides are geared toward the 4 to the floor mixing.

Im not going to Quote the whole post, but the difference in mixing techno/ house compared to RnB / Hip is i find, is that techno / house has intro's / breaks / outros ranging from 46 sec's to 1.40,Sometime 2 mins where as RnB / Hip Hop on the other hand has a maximum roughly of 32 / 46 secs

The most important part to beatmixing /beatmatching is that you need to be able to mupltiply by 4 to mix, knowing the song on the other hand that you are mixing out of is another thing.
The most important thing to becoming a Great Dj is knowing your music and lots of practice. Yes understanding the keys & break points comes from lots of practice, and Teflons comments are valid and correct.. but one can only improve with practice and listening back to their mixes to see where there cue points are and where they went wrong or maybe change a different song next time with a certain mix.

Anyway thats my 2 cents worth

Cheers
Kaoz

Mensajes Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 3:32 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
Also I would recommend to everyone not to punch your mic. I agree the that the Shure SM58 is a tough piece of equipment, and an industry standard for over 30 years. That being said hitting, punching, dropping or otherwise intentionally causing ANY microphone shock is a bad idea. The diaphragms inside could become easily damaged, they were not designed for that sort of treatment.

Anyone doing that to any mic should not call himself a DJ that is the most important part of your equipment no matter how cheap or expensive it is.. The microphone is a sensitive piece of equipment and the slightest knock or drop on the head of the microphone will cause extreme poor quality output.
This comes from an experienced commercial radio DJ.. my microphones i use both for DJ work & Radio, cost over 400/ 500 dollars.. i guard them with my life.. i also have a Sure 58,and have had it for 15 yrs and is still in perfect working order..

Your mic is your tool for work treat it with care as you would any other peice of your DJ equipment

Cheers
Kaoz

Mensajes Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 3:41 pm
OKay Lay off on the mic Bit.

That Particular mic I've had for 15 years, It's survived life as a Vocal mic in a bar band, Survived drinks being spilled on it from drunk idiots at the bar. Being Dropped, & 1 equipment van crash. It's living out it's service life in retirement as a vocal sampling mic.

It's paid for itself many many times over.

At the risk of sounding defesive,

These Particular mics are designed and built for that type of abuse - that's why that brand/model has been so successfull. I also have Some expensive wireless mics I Use, and some Not so expesive wireless mics. Which are treated accordingly

The point of that video is mixing hip hop, not punching mics.

The 46000+ people who have watched it on youtube seem to have found it usefull.

Mensajes Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 5:54 pm
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
OKay Lay off on the mic Bit.

That Particular mic I've had for 15 years, It's survived life as a Vocal mic in a bar band, Survived drinks being spilled on it from drunk idiots at the bar. Being Dropped, & 1 equipment van crash. It's living out it's service life in retirement as a vocal sampling mic.

It's paid for itself many many times over.

At the risk of sounding defesive,

These Particular mics are designed and built for that type of abuse - that's why that brand/model has been so successfull. I also have Some expensive wireless mics I Use, and some Not so expesive wireless mics. Which are treated accordingly

The point of that video is mixing hip hop, not punching mics.

The 46000+ people who have watched it on youtube seem to have found it usefull.

Ok point taken :-)

Cheers
Kaoz

Mensajes Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 10:52 pm
SergNetPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Thank you DJTeflon and others on this message string for taking the time to help others. Good work.

Mensajes Sun 09 Sep 07 @ 5:43 pm
SergNetPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Good work Marcel! Thanks for taking the time to show others how to enjoy mixing with VDJ.....good work buddy.

Mensajes Sun 09 Sep 07 @ 6:03 pm
You're welcome - There has been a lot of response on youtube from that vid.

I'm surprised I read a lot of hate comments on that site and surprisingly only one or two have been directed at that vid.

Mensajes Sun 09 Sep 07 @ 7:05 pm
I think most people don't like how easy it is to mix with VDJ once you learn and practice. They forget it's a lot of getting to know your music. Hell, I will not use the sound effects unless I know exacly how it's going to sound on that particular song.

So I have to practice to get to know each dry/wet settings and so when it's time to play for the show I may forget how it sounds so I dont use it for that song. Better than sounding like crap or an amiture because I have the incorrect settings.

Mensajes Mon 10 Sep 07 @ 7:14 pm

Mensajes Wed 08 Sep 10 @ 1:26 pm
Such a nice post. THank you very much

Mensajes Fri 10 Sep 10 @ 10:26 pm
nice work OP!

Mensajes Wed 15 Sep 10 @ 3:41 pm
ebucks0PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I'd say that DJTeflon has hit the nail on the head..however, focus should be put on working with each song in order to get the BPM correct, and this is a lot of work..

When VDJ uploads your tracks and sets a BPM, depending on the genre it's almost always off. It could be off by 1/3, 1/4, 1/2 or just off period. But you have to know that when you see 182 BPM, it's got to be wrong. Those "squares and shapes" that move at the top of your console are pretty helpul in determining whether the BPM is correct or not. Set your BPM, and while you're there, why not enter your cues, since they get saved within the song? (I've configured my setup to have 10 hot cues, but you can use as many as you like).

Another thing that I find helpful in beatmatching different genres is how your file sort is setup. I have File Name, Artist, Genre (which I use as notes to myself, i.e. hot RNB, new hip hop, etc.), and BPM. There I can go from one genre to the next as long as I have done my homework with getting my BPMs correct. An example is going from house or dance at 130 BPM to hip hop at 65 BPM. As long as the BPMs are close or divisible by 2, it can be nice.

My main point is that it's a lot of work upfront, for a smooth ride later at the party. I am djing a wedding in 2 weeks. The groom is Jamaican and the bride is Ugandan. They want to hear hear zook/compa (basically African music), which is a little bit like calypso and reggae. The groom uploaded to me about 300 songs, which took me about 2 weeks (roughly 4 hours per night) to set up.

Mensajes Tue 28 Sep 10 @ 3:32 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)