Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: I need your help . . . (Laptops)

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi guys, at the beginning of the year i purchased VDJ Pro and asked for advice on a new laptop. I eventually chose an HP Pavillion DV9288ea for £1100 with the following specs:

Intel 1.83 Dual Core
NVIDIA Go 7600 512mb dedicated
2Gb Ram
Vista Home Premium
360mb sata HD (2x160)

I was advised by a lot of people that this was a decent enough spec to run video and VDJ, and i still think it is after trying.

The problem is that there is interference between the laptop screen and sound output. I'm not here to try and solve this problem, as HP have admitted to me there is a problem and they've discontinued the laptop. (No refund for me though)

Ok, i'm going to invest in another laptop. I can't afford to waste more money and i'm guessing technology has changed even in the short time since my last purchase.

I'm hoping i was just unlucky with the HP, but would still like to steer clear of HP for my next purchase.

Rather than just Specs, i would like some models and manufacturers of people that KNOW VDJ works with video.

I'm prepared to spend around £1100 ($2200). I live in the UK. I want to use timecoded CD's with it too.

All help and advice appreciated :)

Gary

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 3:57 pm
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Not sure if this will help but I had a problem with a laptop screen also it was causing lots of pops/crackling in the sound. It wasnt a ground loop isolation issue this time either but I did fix it by tweaking the graphics properties using the install program that came with it. It seemed that on the default settings it was using too much power and not giving enough out to the USB soundcard. Changing the setting to be on power save mode ended up taking away the sound problems though it did make the screen abit less bright (but still ok).

My Dell Inspiron 6400 / Core 2-2ghz /2 gig / ATI x1400 256 / runs VDJ just fine. Ive a few seen past issues with Dell but they were alot slower processors and no 3d graphics. In past forums there seems to be some issues with nVidia on laptops. Ive only used ATI so my opinion would be biased there because if it aint broke I dont fix it :)

I prefer the 15.4 widescreen over a 17. Just prefer the 1280x800 resolution that works very nicely especially with vMix5.3 skin.

Good luck.

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 4:36 pm
Thanks grug, i'll try lowering the screen brightness and see if it make any difference.

What can you guys tell me about Dell? Please don't just slate them without giving a reason. Constructive info only please :)

Gary

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 6:05 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 6:11 pm
I'm thinking about the Dell M1330. Pretty powerful lil laptop and not too bad price wise either.

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 6:54 pm
grug wrote :
Not sure if this will help but I had a problem with a laptop screen also it was causing lots of pops/crackling in the sound. It wasnt a ground loop isolation issue this time either but I did fix it by tweaking the graphics properties using the install program that came with it. It seemed that on the default settings it was using too much power and not giving enough out to the USB soundcard. Changing the setting to be on power save mode ended up taking away the sound problems though it did make the screen abit less bright (but still ok).

You are a genius. You have solved a problem that HP, independent, engineers VDJ support and a lot of VDJ users haven't been able to work out. I mean I've spent 100's of hours on this problem.

I just changed the power setting to LOW performance and the problem is solved!!!

I've even modified the LOW setting so the screen is at full brightness and its still fine. There must me something in that HIGH setting that just maxes the power supply out or something.

I'm so excited i can't stop talking now. I was going to buy a new laptop as well.

THANK YOU!!

Gary

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 10:53 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
That's great news :).

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 10:55 pm
LOL, that is sooo funny.

With computers it's always the most stupid things isn't it!!!

Goes to show that the best policy is to just press every button and see what happens!

Mensajes Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 11:49 pm
andytaylor125 wrote :
LOL, that is sooo funny.

With computers it's always the most stupid things isn't it!!!

Goes to show that the best policy is to just press every button and see what happens!

Make sure u keep track of what buttons you push or you'll be chasing your tale>>>hehe

Mensajes Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 1:07 am
Well now i know its a power problem, i'm going to try and create a power scheme for VDJ. I know you could do that in XP but i haven't checked in Vista yet.

Mensajes Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 1:26 am
fatkatzdj wrote :

Make sure u keep track of what buttons you push or you'll be chasing your tale>>>hehe

so true, I've got vdj working great on my laptop with vista, and now I'm setting up a desktop system- can't quite remember all the tweaks that I made!

Mensajes Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 2:10 am
messing with the power settings for a weak now but Vista has several options to tinker with that I don't which combonations are working which are not.

Mensajes Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 5:17 am
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Glad I could help!

I spent a few days and nights on the same problem myself just a matter of trying every possible combination of settings and finally finding something that works. I also make a habit of powering on the laptop with no extra connections, giving it time to load itself properly then attaching the devices in the same order to the same USB ports. Might be abit pedantic for some but I don't get any sound glitches now

Mensajes Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 7:14 am
Just bumping this up, in hopes that more people will see it. What are the odds of you getting this help at this moment. We have all learned something new today.

Mensajes Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 7:38 am
Yes, unfortunately i have discovered the problem isn't 100% cured.

The interference noise comes back when using sonique plugins. Its a lot better than it was before though.

I'm going to gig the machine this weekend and see how i get it on.

Still, a big thanks for that advice, it has worked in most ways so i'm still happy :)

Gary

Mensajes Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 1:45 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)