Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: laptop question - is it dead?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I am sure it is shot but I was just checking if this happended to someone before so I can choose to fix it or not. Have a Toshiba laptop used as my backup. I always had 3.4 on it. Always worked fine. A couple of years old. Upgraded to 4.3 yesterday, it was on 3.4. I shut down and ran some things on my main system and when I came back the laptop was shrilling. A constant loud beep. I unplugged and plugged back in. I started right up and then power cut right out and the beep came back. Third time it would not start up. If I leave it plugged in the beep is there. If the battery is in the beep is there. The charging light turns on but nothing now when hitting the power button. I had to remove the battery. Is this a power issue supply issue or something much more dreadful? When plugged in the plug was hooked into a power conditioner so spikes should not have hurt it. Anyone have any thoughts. I am glad it was not my main but it was a good laptop not too old or even that used. Thanks...

Mensajes Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 6:09 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
sounds like a motherboard or charging problem

a long continuous beep from a tosheba is usualy a hardware alarm.

i would give tosh or your dealer a call to see what they can do it fix it

Mensajes Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 5:03 pm
VoltronPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Try to look if the processor fan is full of dust.

Mensajes Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 5:11 pm
vidanesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Yep, I had a similar problem with a Toshiba laptop and I cleaned the fan and it is working fine now even with VDJ (and it is more than 4 years old!!!)

Mensajes Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 11:45 pm
u get the loud beep but do u get any video on the monitor?

if u dont then u got yourself a memory problem...

Mensajes Wed 12 Sep 07 @ 12:39 am
No video. It won't even start to boot. I will check the fan first and move on from there. I also already tried to reseat the memory and try to take one out or the other. Nothing. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mensajes Wed 12 Sep 07 @ 2:35 am
try n see if u got another memory module that u kno works and replace it to test on that laptop... if nothing still works then i believe u have a motherboard problem.... =\

Mensajes Wed 12 Sep 07 @ 2:54 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Here's some other tips you can try if you didnt already http://www.duxcw.com/faq/mb/deadmb.htm

what does the lappy do at start of boot? during the BIOS does it beep?

1 Long Beep: Memory problem

Explanation: There is a failure of some sort related to the system memory.

Diagnosis: The first bank of memory probably has a failure of some sort; this is usually just a physical problem such as an incorrectly inserted module, but may also mean a bad memory chip in a module. It is possible that there is a failure related to the motherboard or a system device as well.

Mensajes Wed 12 Sep 07 @ 5:13 pm
I am getting nothing. It won't even start to boot now. I'll call Toshiba. Doesn't sound symple. I brought out old reliable. 6 year old lappy. Garbage processor but still works fine as a backup.

Mensajes Fri 14 Sep 07 @ 3:45 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
If the motherboard is beeping that it is working ok, you have 3 signals as listen2 described, it can be Ram, Video card and even CPU warning. The things you can try is pull out ram modules and rub them with ordinary printer paper (it should leave black marks as result of the oxidation on contact pins) and try it then. Otherwise, send it in service.

Mensajes Sun 16 Sep 07 @ 8:22 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)