Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Are You A Mic Jockey - Page: 2

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :

"The Dj Is THE #1 SOURCE of advertising in the bar"

Yup, advertising is right up there near the top of the PP list.
Put yourself on the speaker side and tell me what you think.

Money works in funny ways I guess, I couldn't do that.

But this is really about the private events with ego driven mic jockeys over driving their line signals with BS.

You guys have to do what the venues want and that gives patrons a choice.
But, given the option as a patron do you really want to hear the music or this dude jacking and spamming your ear drums?

r

Mensajes Fri 28 Sep 07 @ 5:37 pm
Always talk on the mic, make yourself stand out from the rest! get the party started, its call mic work. Lets face it everyone can beat mix now!
you don't want to be replaced by a bedroom DJ do you?

Mensajes Fri 28 Sep 07 @ 7:33 pm
I know a Dj EXACTLY like you're talking about rick, he works at the club I just left. He's a radio/broadcasting dropout.

He'll talk for 2 mins every 2 songs - JUST like the guys on the radio.

PLay 2 songs, talk, play 2 songs,talk, play 2 songs, talk, repeat ad nausium

You are absolutly correct - it grates after about 3 times.

I talk on the mic, for about 30 secs a time, say what's needed and shut up. It is expected here in the market I work in, so Ya do what the market demands

Mensajes Sat 29 Sep 07 @ 3:23 am
Wow - I am actually kind of surprised to see the anti-mic backlash in here, though I guess I should have expected it from a group of folks that take pride in their ability to mix and are progressive in musical taste.

Personally, I've lived and worked in a market where the golden rule is "familiarity breeds success". Remixes are frowned upon, and the club scene is essentially one big-ass wedding. In the past year or so, a few "ultra-lounges" have opened (to varying degrees of success) but they are the exception.

So, I work that mic like a rented mule. And while I am acutely aware that many people wish I would just shut up, the response I get from the crowd indicates that there are many people who are having a great time and enjoying the show. Lets face it, in a market like mine the songs are the same songs that every DJ has been playing for 15 years. People aren't coming for the great music - and they aren't coming to hear me talk. They're coming to have fun, drink, and get laid. So I do what I can to ensure all of those objectives are met.

But - I follow a couple rules:

1. Don't compete with the music, don't ever stop the music, and if it can't be said in less than 10 seconds it should be a one on one conversation. Announcing a drink special should be done in 5 words or less: Bud Light, Two Bucks.
2. Don't tell jokes - If I was a comedian I would have chosen a different line of work.
3. Everybody loves a shout out (as long as they are the one getting recognized). Otherwise, everyone hates shout outs. Make a list, do about 3 at a time, and focus on the bigger bridal showers cause you know they'll make noise.
4. And finally, don't say anything without a reason for saying it. Most of what I say is strictly to get a response from the group. There are 400 puppets on your dance floor... you've got to pull their strings. You can do it with music - especially if you have the right crowd. A good DJ will know which songs speak for themselves and which songs need a little help.

So, I try to refrain from being judgmental - that would be egotistical of me. Sometimes the DJ knows how to mix but also knows his audience well enough to adapt to their tastes and knows how to work a crowd. Talkative DJs might not be your thing, and thats cool... but the DJ should really be judged by his or her effectiveness rather than how well they match up with your personal tastes.

Peace.

Mensajes Sat 29 Sep 07 @ 6:30 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)