Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: History of VirtualDJ

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

There seems to be very little if any information in english around the development of this program. There used to be history page here but it didn't cover the pre-atomix stuff.

I used to have the first public demo version and french article telling about it but after long searches I cannot find them anymore. :-(

Here's the little I can remember, please add what you know :-)

2000 First public version, name: VirtualDJ
2001 Name changed to Atomix as some other company had virtualdj.com and the name.
The controls were changed from diamond shape multi-param mixer that controlled both decks to traditional approach in Atomix.

Why did the first/original VDJ catch my attention enough to follow up through name change and that toy like UI of atomix and the original diamond-mixer? It was the only program back then and as far as I know still is that's above the competition in distinguishing the beats in the waveform. And when I started playing to know this? It was around 1998 when Carrot came up with VTT (Virtual Turntables). Now that one didn't have anything more than you'd have in some basic CD player with a pitch.

(Btw I'd really like to have the VDJ version (year 2000) and hope it could be made publicly available... Incase S. still read the forums :-)

Mensajes Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 7:12 pm

Mensajes Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 8:33 pm
Thanks. It would seem to be 1999 then when the first version came out. Can't remember when I actually first tried it out.

Now what I really was interested in seeing in the original is the rendering. I filed bug long ago that in Atomix it was changed and isn't smooth. Now I could verify this and it looks like that while it's smoother in the original VDJ, there is a regular "jerk" where it resyncs the wave. I still believe it can be done smoothly and without jerking getting the best of both approaches but it might require some kind of anti-aliasing or subpixel rendering of the wave...

Mensajes Tue 02 Oct 07 @ 1:54 am
You sure been around for a long time ;) you registered all the way back in 2003, and are among the very first customers to get the software....

respect;)

Mensajes Tue 02 Oct 07 @ 2:14 am
There's other more deserving :-) (eg. who bought Atomix AND VDJ. It took VDJ (v2 I think) to convince me .. I did suggest plenty features to Atomix but can't find those threads for some reason now. Fairly sure I did register earlier on those forums as they date back to 2001.)

Mensajes Tue 02 Oct 07 @ 2:30 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)