Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: AutoMix Cut mix, how to prevent it? - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I have had no luck in getting a solution to my problem regarding automix, and its "Cut mix" chopping the beginning and endings off songs. More to the point cutting from song to song, halfway through a chorus or a line of singing, then into another song that is missing it's first 3 words! eek,

Example, "the love shack is a little old place that we have to do to get the message through, how can I prove I really Love You, Love you!" (Love shack - B52's cut mixed into What do I have to do - Kylie)

I really like the tempo mixed, thus don't want to use the fade mix option, but if I want tempo mixes, I have to use "Smart" in the automix settings, thus am also stuck with the darn "Cut mix"

I had first looked for a global way of removing the "Cut mix" option gloabally from a collection of songs, but found no luck there, and even found I have to load the track, before clicking the BPM button, and changing the automix option, then loading the next one... Nah, we won't be doing that for 1000's of songs.

My next option was to exit the XML file, look up the (Automix MixType="1") see what number comes up when only Tempo mix is enabled on a track, and then use "Replace" in word to change them all to that number. The number seems to be 2!

The problem with this is that all the tracks from ver 4.0 ect have bpm's but no (<Automix MixType="1" ) section, thus will not be corrected with replace. My fix it would seem it to scan all these files (that also show up in VDJ with a question mark, but also still have a bpm), this would give ALL my files a (<Automix MixType="1" ) (or 2 or 3) that I can then replace the auto mix with.
This would need to be done twice, onec for the <Automix MixType="1" and one for the <Automix MixType="3" files.

Does anyone in the know think this will work? (I do Think it will) =)

Mensajes Mon 08 Oct 07 @ 1:58 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I posted in the Rev4 release thread about reading the 'updated' manual that is comes as part of the installation.
On Page 19 - Editing Automix Cue Points - it explains the logic behind how the SMART mix works.

Mensajes Mon 08 Oct 07 @ 2:22 pm
Yup, and that was the first thing I read. You either use "Smart" and put up with the cut mixes, along with the tempo mixes that you want, or use smart, and have to load every track one by one, then change the automix settings so that cut mix is not enabled for any tracks.
I am aware that you can change the cut points for the cut mix type, but I don't want this mix type uesd at all. For me it doesnt sound good, and only really sounds good if done by a DJ, that knows the two songs, and where the words are, for others or other types of music it would be fine.

Pag 19 only explains how it works, there is still no option to stop these cut mixes.

Mensajes Mon 08 Oct 07 @ 3:02 pm
halo_djk wrote :
For me it doesnt sound good, and only really sounds good if done by a DJ, that knows the two songs, and where the words are, for others or other types of music it would be fine.

Well that's why automix is a utility for background music and not doing a whole gig / night of just automix. Providing the ability for a DJ to play the music is what this program is about - not a stand-alone jukebox. Don't like being blunt about it, but the software is not suppose to replace the DJ.

Mensajes Mon 08 Oct 07 @ 7:01 pm
CSTOLL,

The more I read your posts the more it becomes evident that you have a preference/slant towards not using automix or having it work like it did in 4.3.

This comes back to the same issue time and time again. If 4.3 and previous versions allowed DJ's to automix an entire night (which I also don't recommend) SO WHAT. They paid for the software and enjoyed that feature. Once again, a salute to VDJ's creators. You have asked me and others not to get personal here and I won't. I ask the same. DJ's creativity/style/and ability are not on trial.

I have been using this software since Atomix and can't get the new Automix to work for me as easily, or efficiently as 4.3 automix. While I know Rev 4 is for stability only. All of us still using 4.3 for gigs and 5.0 rev 4 as nothing more than a trial hope and pray for a "2 deck / 1 deck automix option" in future releases.

Mensajes Tue 09 Oct 07 @ 4:22 pm
Well sorry you interpret my posts that way. I use automix when it's appropriate - happy hour at the club, dinner music for my wedding or corporate parties. But when it comes to 'showtime' - automix never gets used.

Yes, it's a feature and it should be able to be used for what it is able to do in the most appropriate moment and even in Version 5 it does just that. But if you are telling me that a DJ should be able to use automix all night as their method of playing music then I must disagree. And I would call that person not a DJ, but a party host or simply a MC and the software is the DJ. And you will not get DJ abilities out of any software. Mix points for use with automix should be set 1 time and left alone. Not adjusted each time the song is played. If every time you play a song using automix you must adjust mix points on the fly, then you should mix the song manually - be the DJ.

Even though you may take my statements 'personal', they are not directed at any one person. If I walked into a club and didn't see the DJ looking for music and mixing the music - I would not go back. If I attended a wedding reception/corporate event and all the DJ did was automix - I would not hire him myself for one of my events.

And that is just me and my opinion. We all have our perceptions of what one does as a DJ. I am a Club DJ that does Mobile events. And there are those that are just Mobile DJs and never done a Club event. I know the responsibilities are all different depending on the venue/event. But, automix from any software is not the DJ.

Mensajes Tue 09 Oct 07 @ 5:23 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
cstoll wrote :
But if you are telling me that a DJ should be able to use automix all night as their method of playing music then I must disagree.

....If I walked into a club and didn't see the DJ looking for music and mixing the music - I would not go back. If I attended a wedding reception/corporate event and all the DJ did was automix - I would not hire him myself for one of my events.

And that is just me and my opinion. We all have our perceptions of what one does as a DJ. I am a Club DJ that does Mobile events. And there are those that are just Mobile DJs and never done a Club event. I know the responsibilities are all different depending on the venue/event. But, automix from any software is not the DJ.

Not to create spark here but i totally agree with the above quote. I myself now only mobile dj but i a club oriented type of dj..manual beat mixing is a must that mean i'm too only use automix for a beginning of an event or the ending of the event while packin up.. and also for toilet break if needed.. To me V5 automix is so far good even it only on one deck but hey that would set another one free if u are prelistening to add cue on the very next song u ready to mix:)..

When i djing i did not sit down.. or just do nothing.. it against what i called professional value as a dj.. For my event i usually enganged one MC if that is needed:) so i have all my time mixing it as if i was in the club n dedicated to it too.. Talking abt club..lol , most probably will be mixing again at one of the local club here.. soon.. still considering:)

So pls ppl i hope we can compromise on this.. IF u like the older version then use that in the meantime n stop complaining.. it just childish, lets all we be adults aite:) i truly believe they will bring the 2 decks as an option in future release..

Peace n love
DJ Antarez

Mensajes Tue 09 Oct 07 @ 9:12 pm
I agree with cstoll and spinnaJ as well. I do not even know how to use Auto-Mix that well since I barely use it and that is a very good thing.

Say the event's guests are listening to the Auto-Mix and think that it sounds like junk when transitioning to the other song. They look up and realize that you are not in your booth, then it makes YOU look good when you return to the booth to beatmix correctly into the next song.

Mensajes Tue 09 Oct 07 @ 11:10 pm
Please note, I was not for a second suggesting that Automix should be used all night, I don't beleve I wrote that in my first post. However, I do use automix for the first hour and a half of the night, right after the club opens, and there are really no customers around. I start my set with a small crowd, but that also means that crowd had been listening to automix for a time as they arrived.

All I'm saying is that I don't like the cut mix that automix sometimes uses, I have explained above why I don't like it, and was looking for some way to stop VDJ from doing it. That doesnt mean I want to use fade mix (remove silence) as on this option VDJ will not beatmix the tracks together, and I love the way VDJ beatmixes on its own, it sounds good for the few customers that are there.

As I have mentioned in other threads, I have even had customers come and ask me why the beginning of the last song was cut off, because they liked the song! Worse still, it cut off the beginning of the next song too, usually missing a few of the first words of the song. If the cusomers are noticing it, theres a chance that maybe it's not just me. Ive so far had 6 people over 2 months ask about this, and two of those told me to buy better equipment, as "there is obviously something wrong with it" if it sounds like that.

Mensajes Wed 10 Oct 07 @ 8:35 am
NOW, What I Have Found... Is that the above trick DOES NOT WORK!

The reason is that for the tracks that VDJ did not enable tempo mixing, it also did not create tempo mix points! This can be replicated in VDJ by finding a track that is scanned and does not have tempo mix ticked, and ticking the tempo mix button manually (Under BPM on the skin). When you run this through automix VDJ mixes it in, but if it chooses to now temo mix out the track, as there is no mix out point, soon as the track is mixed in, it tries (badly) to mix it right back out again.

By changing the XML to all mixtypes "2" your telling VDJ to tempo mix, but not giving it the mix points to mix with.
Explanation of the mixtypes
MixType="1" Cut mix
MixType="2" Tempo Mix
MixType="3" All Mixtypes
No Mixtype mentioned in the Automix line = Fade Mix only

First step is to BACKUP your "VirtualDJ Local Database v5.XML" file in the core directory of the music drive you wish to alter.
If none of this makes sense to you DON'T MESS WITH IT! This is for experts only!

My solution that so far seems to work, is that any tracks that have mixtype "3" in the XML get changed (Use replace in Wodpad) to Mixtype "2" as 3 is all mix types including tempomix, thus there will be tempomix cue points. This tells VDJ to either tempo mix or fademix, and all tracks have fade mixing points. this will disable cut mix on tracks that would normaly allow any mix type.

Part 2 is to change all MixType="1" to nothing! Type (MixType="1" ) in the "FIND WHAT" box in replace (without the brackets!), make sure you include the space after "1", then in the "REPLACE WITH" box type ( ) (again without the brackets) its just a space!
A line that used to read..
<Automix MixType="1" CutStart="92192".............
Should Now read..
<Automix CutStart="92192".............

The cut cue points will remain, but this is fine VDJ wont use them, it will then only fademix these songs.

Again This is for EXPERTS only, Don't mess with VDJ database files unless you really know what you are doing, and have a working backup of the database stored somewhere first incase the dadabase file refuses to read after it is modified! Modified correctly VDJ will be happy with the changes, one space, or a missing space in the wrong spot will render the database unreadable and you will have to recopy your backup file and try again, or just restore the orig file.

Mensajes Wed 10 Oct 07 @ 10:44 am
halo_djk -

I will go back to my first response -
cstoll wrote :
I posted in the Rev4 release thread about reading the 'updated' manual that is comes as part of the installation.
On Page 19 - Editing Automix Cue Points - it explains the logic behind how the SMART mix works.

Come on, if you don't go threw the motions then what's the deal? We spend several statements debating automix and the answer was in the original reply. Think about it - if a DJ does not find a good mix out point he as 2 choices - train wreck out OR cut the song and hope for the best. Which is what happens to VirtualDJ.

So if you go through and set the MIX points for the Tempo Mix option and check Allow then the mix can happen. You don't need to manually edit the XML that's why there is an interface to those options.

Mensajes Wed 10 Oct 07 @ 11:31 am
My playlist for the beginning of the night contains about 3000 tracks, I load it, hit shuffle then press automix.
I don't train wreck any of my mixes, at worst i let the last song finish, and start the next one cold, just like I do i radio.
I know how to edit the mix points, i did read the book, all I found was that to edit the automix cue points the track has to be loaded, BPM pressed, and the points set. For me, if VDJ decides it wants to cut mix, I've told it I would prefer a fade mix instead.

You really think I should load all 3000 tracks one by one to find the ones that "may" have Cut mix enabled, to remove it. For the tracks that list as cut only, i would prefer fade mix, and thats how I changed the XML. If it used to be cut only, its now fade mix only, if it used to be any mix type, its now fade or tempo mix, whatever VDJ decides it wants to use.

Mensajes Wed 10 Oct 07 @ 11:46 am
Wow, if you have a 3,000 song starter set, that makes for a long nite, hehe :)

Mensajes Wed 10 Oct 07 @ 7:48 pm
halo_djk wrote :
As I have mentioned in other threads, I have even had customers come and ask me why the beginning of the last song was cut off, because they liked the song! Worse still, it cut off the beginning of the next song too, usually missing a few of the first words of the song. If the cusomers are noticing it, theres a chance that maybe it's not just me. Ive so far had 6 people over 2 months ask about this, and two of those told me to buy better equipment, as "there is obviously something wrong with it" if it sounds like that.

Good point. I have been dissed a few times on one night since I was using VirtualDJ (with an Evolution UC-33e at first) and not "real vinyls". Argh! "Why not get real DJ equipment?!" That opens up another can of worms. :-) I will be playing with Auto-Mix soon to see what all the hubbub is about. I can then try to help you and the others who keep screaming, "I want two deck Auto-Mix back!".

Mensajes Thu 11 Oct 07 @ 2:05 am
I don't play the entire playlist, It just plays the first hour of the shuffled playlist, it just means I get a completely different mix of music each week.

Mensajes Thu 11 Oct 07 @ 6:08 am
CSOLL,

Nothing personal taken here.. I just feel like the automix guys are getting slammed for wanting 2 deck version back. I too use it for cocktail/dinner hour, the beginning of an event..or a bathroom/bar break when needed...

To those adjusting cue points on the fly that is 'DJing" We are just using visuals instead of a pair of headphones... I think you will agree one of the amazing things about VDJ is you can mix a lot without headphones if you know the songs using the visuals provided by the software...its really quite amazing the versatility it offers.

And for those who Automix the entire night....I don't necessarily appove.... but it still takes an experienced DJ to know what to put on a playlist and when to put it on. No one playlist works for every crowd and it must constanty be changed throughout the night... to me that is still DJing... maybe just a lazy version of it....

The beauty of this software is if we play a 5 hour gig and use automix a LOT and keep the floor packed and the owners/client thrilled then we have done our job. If we manually mix every single song all night and keep the floor packed and the owners/client thrilled then we have done our job and will get repeat business. Of the 300 in the room, if one happens to be a DJ.... and doesn't come back like you suggested beecause we "didn't work hard enough". There will be 299 people back next time and the owners/client won't care and continue to write your check.

One of the beauty's of this software is its payback for all the nights we stood there manually mixing every single f*****G song on a dead night for peanuts.... Granted we get paid a bit more but are still very underpaid compared to photographers etc..... Virtual DJ just levels the playing field a little bit and I sleep well at night because of it!

Vin

Mensajes Thu 11 Oct 07 @ 1:32 pm
Yeah, I finally played around with Auto-Mix and see that in "Smart" mode the songs can get badly chopped up. The transitions sound a bit rough to my ears as well. My favorite option so far is the "Fade (remove nothing)" (16s) option, but the transitions do not sound beat mixed (usually this is the DJ's job). Auto-Mix is not a priority to me since I do not usually use Auto-Mix for any longer than 15 minutes, but I see how adjusting the cue points for the next track can be useful for some people.

Part of the fun of DJing for me is editing the points myself. I have most of the auto options disabled ("AutoUpdate", "AutoLoad Playlists", "Auto Pitch Matching", "Auto Gain", "Pitch Reset on Load", "EQ Reset on Load", "Auto Cue", "Auto Headphones" and "Disengage BeatLock" (Manual)). I like having more control over what happens and when it happens.

Mensajes Thu 11 Oct 07 @ 5:47 pm
Well it's not that anyone is getting slammed. It's sometime the approach in how things are presented. And, NO I don't claim I am any better. My real point is that this has been beat and beat and beat since v5 released. It is what it is... and what it was has been OVERLY expressed time and time again. So, instead of continuously beating the same drum can we have some additional ideas to the current method and not just 'bring back the old way'. Said another way - the OLD way has been heard - but are there other ways to make the NEW way work for what the old way provided ?

Mensajes Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 6:00 am
DjCaliPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Well I don't have a problem with any way they are both fine to me...

i like that the song now stay in the list instead of being removed!!!

But i think we can improve on the automix:

is if we add files that have not been scan by vdj i.e. new files I would like for them to be all scan not just the next one in line
and even if automix is not on if you add songs to the list have them auto scan...

Mensajes Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 7:07 pm
GargantulaKon wrote :
Yeah, I finally played around with Auto-Mix and see that in "Smart" mode the songs can get badly chopped up. The transitions sound a bit rough to my ears as well. My favorite option so far is the "Fade (remove nothing)" (16s) option, but the transitions do not sound beat mixed (usually this is the DJ's job). Auto-Mix is not a priority to me since I do not usually use Auto-Mix for any longer than 15 minutes, but I see how adjusting the cue points for the next track can be useful for some people.

Part of the fun of DJing for me is editing the points myself. I have most of the auto options disabled ("AutoUpdate", "AutoLoad Playlists", "Auto Pitch Matching", "Auto Gain", "Pitch Reset on Load", "EQ Reset on Load", "Auto Cue", "Auto Headphones" and "Disengage BeatLock" (Manual)). I like having more control over what happens and when it happens.

This was my point, Only "Smart" willl beatmix some songs, but it will also "cut" mix from time to time, and "Fade" mixt from time to time. The second "fix" I mentioned on the last page DOES work, and stops those cut mixes, while allowing the fade and beat mixes to continue when used on "smart" mixing.

Mensajes Sun 14 Oct 07 @ 3:05 am
83%