Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: looking into being a convert

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

i know absoluty nothing about mac. but my understanding of windows is not much better. but latly ive been reading such rave reviews about

mac that its worth looking into. im looking in to getting a new lappie in the spring (june july) but i dont know what to get i do know that i dont

want vista yet as that will put my learning curve in the mud. i know that i can run bootcamp and use windows but that defets the perpose plus i have a DMC2 and absolutl love jboggis plugins for this also what about external hd and all the stuff that pc can do can mac do the same

the tower that i have now is huge and heavy about 60# but i do like the 19 moniter that i have to look at. its alot to take in to the place

where im playing at and need something more simple and easyer to handle so i thought what about mac. so what do i all thing do you have to

know a much about mac to be able to use it properly or it that just the crap that the windows guys say to keep ya from converting.

so what lappie do you all use on the mac side and is all the meanings like cpu and gpu and ram all the same on the hardware side the same on

both worlds.

thanks for an info you wish to pass on as microsoft is a reall pisser when i come to help on the hotline

take this post as an example of the crap ive been dealing with

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/80342/PC_Version_Technical_Support/blue_screen_issues.html

ive had the same xp running for 3 years and this is what i get some crack head generating my serial

Mensajes Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 2:18 am
rockinrossco wrote :
do you have to know a much about mac to be able to use it properly or i(s) that just the crap that the windows guys say to keep ya from converting(?)

BINGO!

Long time microsoft/windows users/apologists are so red faced (or just plain ignorant) over the unstoppable "switcher" movement (windows to Mac converts) that numbered 400,000+ in '05, 800,000+ in '06, and has passed a million this year already (and we haven't even hit the holiday season yet!) as predicted by Wall Street, unbiased tech industry individuals/companies/etc. (Apple itself made no comment regarding the 5 year old switcher movement only because they didn't need to - it's internally known that this is inevitable so there is no need for public statements of the obvious) that they're only defense against the well publicized failure of vista (and every windows OS before it) is to resort to the fake "fear factor" (in business, it's called creating FUD within the customer - Fear, Understanding, & Doubt...Make them Fear the unknown, Understand (or perceive/believe) that the unknown is "difficult", and Doubt whether they will be able to adapt to the "difficult and unknown" ... BASIC sales psychology) where they try to get you to fear the "unknown" Mac environment and stick with "familiar" windows, disregarding the fact that windows is microsoft programming junk at it's "best".

Bottom line is this: Switching to Mac isn't so much about "learning Mac", it's more about "un-learning windows."

All the hoops and hurdles that unintuitive windows OSes (vista or otherwise) makes it's users jump through in the areas of security, maintenance, hardware/driver configuration, junky 3rd party software useage which de-stabilizes windows' reliability & performance, lack of useful bundled software that doesn't just bloat the size of their OS install (vista is "bloatware" itself because of a poorly written code base bundled with more useless bloatware from 3rd parties simply because it's "free"), and the list goes on & on, are either severely minimized or non-existent on Macs.

Macs are often associated with the term "user-friendly", which windows enthusiasts and/or pundits want users to believe means that Macs are not "serious" computers. I wish they'd say that to the huge numbers of Mac users at NASA JPL, or international government/military/corporate institutions or establishments that have all realized that if their data infrastructure is only as strong as it's weakest link, and that weak link is the OS (windows) then you must remove the weak link. Hence the mass migration globally away from windows and to Open Source UNIX alternatives like Mac and Linux.

The difference between the choice between Mac and Linux for home users and environments were there isn't an army of "microsoft certified" administrators (LOL! aka dime-a-dozen and the only thing you need to "get in" to one of those trade schools is the ability to open a door... I was a Digital Solutions Administrator - aka network administrator - for Xerox managing windows, Mac, and Novell networks internally and externally - trained and really certified at XDU in Leesburg, Virginia just down the way from CIA headquarters) is that Macs, being made by a single manufacturer, Apple Inc., have a much higher level of centralized customer support (ironically, not that necessary because of Mac OS X's incomparable stability, reliability, security, etc.) that if/when needed is a far superior user experience than trying to find "community" support for any one of the various versions (distros) of Linux.

All that, along with the fact that Apple is the ONLY computer manufacturer that develops it's own operating system (Mac OS X) for it's own hardware configurations (Macintosh "Mac" computers) makes it easy for the end user like yourself (who are the VAST majority of computer users as well) who "just wants something that works reliably because of a much higher level of quality control from the ground up (1 companies oversight), with a built in high level of government/military grade security (UNIX, not antiquated, registry based and easily penetrated, remarkably unstable Q-DOS... later renamed ms-DOS), and that achieves a 2-3x longer (average) lifespan than the typical windows computer's lifespan of only 2-3 years.

As for having to "choose" between Mac and windows computers, is there really any choice other than Mac at this point? As you've stated, you can run windows 100% natively on a Mac (and is what some of us have been doing since April of '06 - when Boot Camp was released - only to run VDJ until the Mac version is ready) if you find that you need to. The idea is to minimize your windows useage to an "as needed only" basis. Most users are quickly finding that the only time that they may really need windows is when they need to run graphics and/or processor intensive windows only applications. That is when you want to boot into the windows side of your Mac. If you need to run windows only applications that aren't extremely graphics and/or processor intensive, you don't even need to leave your Mac environment because you can use applications that take advantage of virtualization technology (VT) that has been incorporated into Intel's Core series processors since early 2006. Low cost programs like VMWare's "Fusion" http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion (what I use) and Parallel's "Desktop for Mac" http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/ and / are perfect for running MOST windows applications that aren't too graphics/processor intensive like first person shooter games, 3-D modelers, etc.... yet: ;)

(VMWare's "Fusion")
Play DirectX 9.0 games on your Mac
"VMware Fusion offers experimental support for hardware-accelerated 3D graphics in Windows XP virtual machines, making it possible to run DirectX 9.0 applications and play select 3D games on your Mac."

(Parallel's "Desktop for Mac")
3D Graphics
"Only Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac lets you run your favorite Windows-only 3D games and graphics applications on any Intel-powered Mac! Continuing to lead the pack, Parallels Desktop 3.0 now supports DirectX and OpenGL!"
http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/features/3d/

What's cool about those apps is that you can even run windows applications within Mac OS X without using them in a desktop cluttering/wasting "window". Instead, the're seamlessly integrated into your Mac environment:

(VMWare Fusion's "Unity")
Bring Unity to Windows and Mac OS X
"Seamlessly run Windows applications alongside Mac applications with the Unity features in VMware Fusion."
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features.html#c25447

(Parallels Desktop for Mac's "Coherence")
Coherence
"Run Windows applications like they were native to your Mac! Enjoy both operating systems, without managing two desktops."
http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/features/coherence/

All that said (and after VDJ Mac 5 is released), the question remains: What do you really need windows for? Most people find that they don't need it at all.

As for which Mac notebook to purchase, the answer is simple and my suggestions are as follows:

Audio dj'ing/turntablism:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723640&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook

Audio and/or Visual dj'ing/turntablism:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=916FC31&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro

Good luck on your decision and i hope to see you as part of the Mac community soon, rockinrossco!

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Mensajes Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 6:20 am
well i do think im sold on it. as soon as i can afford it ill think ill get one ill just have to relearn what it take to do mac stuff. one other ?? for ya though as i cant just toss out my pc as i spent $3000 on it 4 years ago its not that old and is still ok for jetting around the net and all that stuff and i can use it as a storage area for all my back up stuff. how does pc and mac get along when running side by side on a network trading info back and forth (as this is the bigest reason as i havent swithed before this) i have 6 pc all on the same network hear at the house.

also ( and this is just hear say) since osx is an open sorce that makes it more pron to virices trogen and all the other stupid stuff that ppl do.
even though the mac wont be on the net but (if able it will be on the network trading info back and forth to the pc and how easy is it to have an upgraded model from the getgo like you can with pc.

is mac not as good as the pc with out those programs to run intince graphic games and such but at the same time i dont do games no or even video (mostly do to the fact i dont have mant at the moment have to get more before ill start that)

one other fact is that i let my IT buddie see this and hes all gunho for windows and vista but he nows that for what i do with my system ( and i i quote) mac is the way to go and ill probly wont be far behind. so you have converted two (as soon as we can afford to get there)

Mensajes Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 6:25 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)