Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Moving all music/videos to ext HD question

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Before I do anything ...just a few questions come to mind before I make any changes.

My laptop HD is getting close to capacity and I want to have VDJ read from my EXTERNAL HD that I am currently using for my BACKEDUP MUSIC FILES.So basicly everything I have on my laptop (MUSIC/VIDEOS/OLD ver4.3 database)is copied in the same file format/hierachy on my EXT HD

To get ver 5.6 to read database info from this external HD and not from my existing laptop music folders what would be the most painless
approach ?

I want to read directly from this HD.

Mensajes Wed 30 Jan 08 @ 8:34 am
anybody? :)

Mensajes Wed 30 Jan 08 @ 9:53 pm
Theoretically, you should be able to right-click the folder where your music is now, then click on "remove from search DB, then reverse the process for the new location. I've never tried this, though, so I can't say whether it will work as expected. You might want to test with a small number of files.

If you are just moving (not copying) the files, the database should pick up on your changes automatically, but you might have to do it within VDJ.

I recently reorganized my entire collection outside of VDJ, and, except for losing some BPM and time analysis on a small part of it, everything looked like it did prior to the operation without my intervention.

I hope this helps ;)

Mensajes Thu 31 Jan 08 @ 12:58 am
sorry for the delay on getting back to you discjockeydoc.... thankyou for the response..but is it that easy to do and not have any problems? ;)
If I delete the existing database on the hardrive will VDJ create a new one by me just "showing where the music is stored" on the EXT HD?
no renalyzing needed? or is there a step I need to do to other then that?

so far ver 5.6 is working very well and I am liking the new features a great deal.You know how the saying goes.."if it aint broke..dont fix it" :)

Mensajes Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 6:19 am
Yeah, I agree about not fixin' stuff that ain't broken, for sure!

DON'T DELETE THE DATABASE!!

If you do, it will not work. The database has to be there or there will be no data for the program to modify when you perform the move. The way it works is that the database updates itself to your changes.

Again, I can't stress this enough. Do a small-scale test first, and then look in the browser for the tracks you moved. You might have to right-click the new location and click "add to search DB" after you make the change, I can't remember if I performed this step explicitly.

Good luck ;)

Mensajes Sat 02 Feb 08 @ 1:53 am
wel so far so good on the move.External E drive is reading ok and obviously doing a song search produced 2 of the same songs, C drive and E drive.

Now, by right clicking the music files/video files on the c drive and "Remove from Data base" and then dumping all tunes from the c drive ,
VDJ will then continue to work and search from my ext E drive without issues? Is VDJ still saving my database files to the original location?
Should I also make a copy of this data base and place it on my ext E hd that I am now using?

I have backed up all my music/videos on an extra HD for security anyways.

Kind regards

Mensajes Mon 04 Feb 08 @ 7:06 am
If you remove the original files from the C drive, VDJ should then only read them from the external, especially if you remove them from the search DB beforehand. It couldn't hurt to backup the DB before you do, however. I would save a copy of each database under a different name (ex. VDJ5<drive letter>BackupDB.xml) it and put in my documents folder under a folder that I created, named "VirtualDJ Backup," for safekeeping. Don't forget to leave the file extension, or Windows won't know what file type it is.

I'm glad it all worked out for you :D

Mensajes Mon 04 Feb 08 @ 4:00 pm
Thankyou for your advice ..!
Im sure you can understand what it would be like to have screwed up the entire database.Thats why I might have sounded a bit unsure about what I was going to do and how.
Once again thankyou..everyone.

Mensajes Mon 04 Feb 08 @ 8:49 pm
Absolutely understandable...No worries ;)

Mensajes Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 9:53 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)