Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: keeping audio gain on 0?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

hi y'all,

when i'm loading a song into a deck, the audio gain is getting up and down.
tryed to play with the audio gain options but it does that all the time (even if i select "disabled" and "0") so i have to use the right click on the gain slider to make it 0.

how do i get pass that? i don't want the song to get it's own gain all the time, i want it to be on 0 as i load it?

thank you!

Mensajes Mon 11 Feb 08 @ 4:01 am
What version are you using???

Mensajes Mon 11 Feb 08 @ 4:17 am
Pro v5

10x

Mensajes Mon 11 Feb 08 @ 5:21 am
oops r6

:-)

Mensajes Mon 11 Feb 08 @ 8:17 am
Hey how's it going. I can't answer your question with any degree of certainty cos I'm still on v3.4, but I've had similar problems so this might help.

For me, the gain reading kept changing only when I loaded a track for the first time and VDJ was analysing it. I found that if I just let the track load without trying to play it before it's fullly loaded the gain will settle on 0dB. In the settings I've got auto-gain on "Always 0dB" which sould, according to the instructions, normalize tracks to 0dB. However, I've also found that the auto-gain function doesn't always get it right, something which is hopefully improved on later versions.

Hope it works out for you!

Mensajes Mon 11 Feb 08 @ 2:59 pm
P.S. Buy a license

Mensajes Mon 11 Feb 08 @ 3:03 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Yes olisharp is right, talm1977. Up to rev6, Config>Options>Auto Gain> Set at Always 0dB

The new, rev7 is slightly different.

Jimmy b

Mensajes Mon 11 Feb 08 @ 3:29 pm
it's more on the videos, it can take a while when it loads all of it, so if i wanna play it before it ends loading, the volume changes.

with the right click on the audio gain, it resets it to 0, but it's rather annoying to do that every time.

if i choose diasble, isn't it suppose to not doing that?

Mensajes Tue 12 Feb 08 @ 1:17 am
Hi, like somebody else just said, analyse the files before you load them, then the volume won't change. Best thing to do is to go through all your files one folder at a time in VDJ, highlight all the files in the browser window, then right-click and choose "analyse".

When you've done your whole collection you can see all the bpms, they'll load quicker and the volume won't change as they load.

Mensajes Tue 12 Feb 08 @ 5:40 am
didn't know it can be done...

many many thanks i'll do that!

Mensajes Tue 12 Feb 08 @ 6:43 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
AFAIK, VDJ attempts to normalize to the mean volume. i always used automatch, I want it to be in the range of -5 -3 and nowhere near 0 unless it's a very low track.

Anecdotal info: A digital signal should not be boosted beyond 0db unless you are using a professional interface that has a programmed headroom beyond. If I remember correctly, commercial products use -4db headroom and pro uses +6dB headroom. If your gear doesnt have a specific setting for this, it means its -4dB. If you ever experience distortion, you are boosting too much. If you dont hear distortion, that doesnt mean it isnt distorted, it could mean there are saturation filters in the circuitry.

The best way to ensure best possible sound quality is stay below 0dB and never boost the EQ beyond 0dB. Use the gain on the last point before going to the speakers (the mixer if you use one).

Mensajes Tue 12 Feb 08 @ 6:58 am
Paz75
About the 0dB thing.
With vinyl I usually set the gains so the levels peak on green at 0dB, or maybe just pushing the first yellow with A&H mixers.
What's the deal with Virtual DJ? If I'm using an external mixer can I have VDJ on 0dB or is it better around -3? By "professional interface" do you mean the soundcard or the mixer? For commercial gear at -4dB do you mean Hi-Fi's and stuff?
Thanks, Oli.

Mensajes Thu 14 Feb 08 @ 2:16 pm
Hi, please helpe me.
I can´t record the musics. When I used the trial version was ok, but now, I bougth te atomixMP3 and when I try record a music turn up the name of the music and 000 for exemple : Belive000 . What is heppening?
Thanks and sorry for my message because I don´t speak inglish very well

Mensajes Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 1:49 pm
hi olisharp...

a few things to that. sound is an analog function. when you push the levels, you eventually get distortion, but before that you get a natural effect from analog circuits called 'saturation' which makes it a warmer sound.

you dont get this in the digital world. it _just_ clips. having said that, alot of digital circuit manufacturers are putting elements in which mimic saturation. but there is a limit to it.

the point is moot when were talking mixers. on my A&H I usually have it close to redline on the channel input because there is a very annoying attribute to my xone:3d when using the digital master output back into my pc for recording..... it's very low. since the digital output is pre-master but post-fader, your signal strength is quite weak. i find this very irritating especially for broadcasting unless i would use the analog output which is post-master and re-digitize it on the way back into the pc. this kinda defeats the purpose for having AD/DA converters in the mixer itself. no matter though, i will be switching to an RME Hammerfall card in the next month or so.

regarding the bit about the pro interface, im talking about the soundcard (whether it is in the mixer or not, like the xone:3d). the whole deal is about signal to noise ratios. if you can get a louder signal out of an instrument and into a recording bus (mixer) without distorting, that means your noise level is drowned out much further than commercial products. this is only for the benefit of recording. once recorded and packaged (cd, download, vinyl, etc) the playback headroom is irrelevant because it's only reproducing the packaged source. if you reproduce a source which had alot of noise, you will hear it. if your recording had a very high SNR then the noise is much less and the percieved quality is much greater.

thats basically how it works. now how this relates to VDJ: Ripped CDs and downloads are _already_ mastered to it's limit. Vinyl is different due to the PVC medium, but I wont bother explaining that. Basically if you boost the gain of something which is already as loud as it can possibly get in the digital domain, it is garunteed to clip.

this is a substantial thing which most VDJ users dont know or realize. you cannot boost a digital signal father than it's maximum headroom. the whole point of CD and Digital mastering is to achieve exactly that. So keeping it in VDJ at -3dB or lower means you are not quite as loud, but you have room for manipulating the sound with effects and EQ without distorting.

users who have an external mixer just need to make the channel input stay out of the red, but by that point, its not digital anymore and saturation comes into play.

for users who use hercules and whatnot, they will very easily distort their signal when they dont adhere to the rules because all effects and eqing is still done in the digital domain.

hope this explanation helps.

Mensajes Sun 17 Feb 08 @ 2:13 am
for the moderators, ive posted this in my blog as it's usefull information to get stored away.

Mensajes Sun 17 Feb 08 @ 2:16 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Well known fact:
VDJ can boost up to +4dB without distortion :)

Mensajes Sun 17 Feb 08 @ 6:06 am
PAZ75:

Excellent post.

Mensajes Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 12:04 am
DJ-ALF wrote :
Well known fact:
VDJ can boost up to +4dB without distortion :)

Alf, can you explain what you mean by well known fact? ive never been able to boost anything to +4 otherwise it gets distorted. but it depends on what kind of file im playing. i dont rip that many cds, but i have digitized vinyl. that can be boosted because of it's low headroom. however, the stuff i buy online 9.9/10 times cannot, theyve been compressed to the maximum range.

so can you explain what you mean by 'well known fact'? i'd like to know if im missing something.

Mensajes Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 8:41 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)