Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: I am getting a laptop for video use

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Can someone who has a laptop (and it works right) point me in the direction of a company/brand/model that works great for them? If someone has a great system, I'd like to copycat what they have. I would be working with MPGs, AVIs, VOBs. No Quicktime video or WMVs. I would REALLY appreciate it because this is a big buy and I don't want to get a machine that might not work 100% properly.

Mensajes Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 3:59 pm
Oh yeah -- and an external sound card (USB or otherwise) would also be nice for some help there too...

I would really appreciate it. This is a big purchase. I have read a lot of conflicting reports out there about NVidia cards and XP vs Vista, so I'd like to get a good answer.

Mensajes Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 3:59 pm
One more thing - I don't plan on using timecodes of any kind any time soon, but having that possibility in the future does sound interesting to me.

Mensajes Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 5:43 pm
As far as the Laptop goes, I would consider a Mac Book with Bootcamp running Win XP... Bear in mind this is coming from a MCSE!!!

I currently use a Compaq but only for Karaoke and havent tested it for vids...

You can use a Maya 44 USB, I currently use it and it works good

You can either use a Numark Total Control for the built in VDJ Mixer for video, I use the MK2 right now but the size is an issue for my big as fingers....

Mensajes Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 5:16 am
Running Win XP on a Macbook? It'll be able to handle videos when you're emulating another OS?

Mensajes Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 1:45 pm
spool32PRO InfinityMember since 2007
If you're going with a PC, make sure it has an svideo out. I have a laptop that only has VGA and it was a pain trying to find a converter that worked that would convert to svideo.

I'm not a big fan of Dell anymore, they are overpriced and overrated. I started getting Gateways a couple years back and their laptops have been a great value for what you get. Toshibas arent too bad either. I'd like to try an Acer at some point, i've had really good luck with their flat panel LCD's (great price and performance).

Dont worry too much about the sound card, theres plenty of USB options out there. As for speed, get at least a 2ghz plus core duo, dont skimp and get a celeron. Also get at least 2gb of ram and a 5600rpm or faster hard drive. If you can find one with a eSATA port, that would be really good, you can build up an external eSATA portable drive to plug in an instant 750gb hard disk. They run just as fast as an internal desktop drive will and you dont have to pay for the reduced size laptop drive upgrade, plus the biggest laptop drive they make right now is in the 250gb range.

I've run VDJ on both XP and Vista and to be honest my Vista desktop has been very stable so I really wouldnt be scared to get my next laptop in Vista flavor as a DJ machine. I like the file indexing in Vista, its easier to find songs than in VDJ because you have to get the title or artist names exactly right and in order for the VDJ song search to turn up correct results. The Vista search gives you more freedom to get the name wrong.

Mensajes Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 5:43 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)